Weight And Calories

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

First thing you should worry about is, as an athlete, are you eating enough and are you eating well? Cheer is hard on your body, so we have to fuel it the right way.

Second, a scale, to me, is dangerous. Yes, you will gain weight while doing cheer. But it's basically muscle mass. I got up to 139 pds (5 feet 2) while cheering in college. Was I fat? No. But if I check for my healthy weight online, that's fat.

You have to learn to be happy with yourself, or that becomes obsession and danger. It's quite easy for us to become selfconscious because our uniform is often revealing. I never had that 6 pack abs (you have to have less than 6% of fat in your body to have it so nah, forget it) and really? Nobody cared. I never had a bad life because I had thick legs either.

Why are you obsessed with it?

... That's not a very healthy obsession.

Makes me concerned that this is one of your first messages on here. Trust me when I say that obsessing over your weight they way you are will put you on the fast track to an eating disorder. Have you spoken to a professional or someone that you trust about this?

Hi....thanks for your replies and advice. Sorry I am worrying you......I know it's not super healthy to obsess over it. It's just everything is so competive and everyone on my team is always talking about their weight and if they have gained or lost or maintained that day. Plus you see everyone else and look at their body and you know they are looking at yours even if they don't say it.

Hi....thanks for your replies and advice. Sorry I am worrying you......I know it's not super healthy to obsess over it. It's just everything is so competive and everyone on my team is always talking about their weight and if they have gained or lost or maintained that day. Plus you see everyone else and look at their body and you know they are looking at yours even if they don't say it.
Then it is your coach's responsibility to put forth rules that discourage that kind of talk.

Look at girls that aren't super skinny: Angel Rice and Erica Engelbert, for example. Beautifully talented girls, and their curvy, muscular figures don't hold them back.

I would talk to your coach about it. There's a chance that he/she is not aware of this talk. It's easy to get caught up in that stuff when everybody else is worrying about it, but I'm very strongly urging you to combat that. It can lead to very destructive health patterns. Skinny does not always equal healthy. As an athlete you need more calorie intake than the average non-athletic girl. Please do not absorb yourself in that kind of nonsense and please talk to your coach!

If it's a big concern for you, talk to your doctor. No one on this board knows you, your body type, your activity level etc. Weight is an individual health concern and in my opinion, health concerns that are specific to each person go to the health professionals (doctors).
I love your profile picture.

anyone stress about your weight and counting cals?? It's kinda an obsession with me. Just wondering if anyone else does it??
Not at all. This sport requires you to have more calories. Yet healthy calories. Don't worry about your weight and counting calories. Focus on eating healthy and staying hydrated.

Back