Were Crops Ever Allowed In Hs?

Discussion in 'High School Cheerleading' started by Sterling von Shimmer, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Sterling von Shimmer

Sterling von Shimmer I named my pet Sir Fierce-a-lot

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    I'm talking straight crops (no leo or bodysuit underneath) as they relate to both AACCA rules and your own school's rules.

1. Did AACCA ever allow them? If so, did your school allow you to wear them to games and the like or were they only worn for comp?

2. If AACCA did allow them but then ruled them illegal, what year was that?

I ask because I'm trying to write a piece about everything that's wrong with cheerleading on TV and the pervasiveness of crops is number one of my list of complaints. But I don't want to declare that crops were never allowed for anyone if it's not true. I'm looking in particular for whether or not crops were ever legal, and if they were, what year they were ruled illegal. And if anyone, anywhere, was allowed to wear crops during the school day... a la every CW drama ever.

Thanks.

2. icequeen

icequeen Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Fan

Yes. New Rochelle HS use to wear them in the early 2000s. Here the video from 2004.

3. Sterling von Shimmer

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    I thought I remembered seeing New Ro in crops on Cheerleader Nation but I couldn’t tell if they were just riding up or not. Thanks.

4. WinstonsGirl

WinstonsGirl I'm an announcer on CBS for Worlds (or should be)

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach / Athlete
    We had crops in HS (school choice - lots also wore full tops). A rule was actually brought in saying stomachs must be covered shortly after I graduated. Up in Canada though

5. OldskoolKYcheercoach

OldskoolKYcheercoach There are Cheeropedia articles about me!

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    Our FFA had lots of crops

6. coacha

coacha I Fierce Board instead of work/study

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    I was coaching when the rule was added, but I couldn’t pinpoint a year. I started coaching on 2001 so it was added sometime after then.

7. tojofasho

tojofasho I'm an announcer on CBS for Worlds (or should be)

Shimmys Received:
    Twitter:
    MsCoachMartin
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach / Athlete
    Crops were fully banned when I was in high school 2007-2011, so based on @coacha you can pinpoint the year somewhere in between 2001 and 2007.

8. LittleMissA17

LittleMissA17 When all else fails.... I shimmy

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    When watching cheerleader nation New Rochelle High had cropped tops but a skirt covering the belly button. So I'd take a wild guess that they were banned the year after in 2007.

9. OldskoolKYcheercoach

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    I’ll narrow it down even further: one of the local high schools purchased some after I moved here in 2004.

10. Sterling von Shimmer

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    Right. New Ro had them in 2004 and they were banned in 2007 so somewhere in there. New Ro also maybe had them in 2006.

11. Sterling von Shimmer

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    Oh wait here we go: first of all, someone posted all of Cheerleader Nation on YT which was very nice of them.

Secondly, are these considered crops on New Ro? At 7:53. If so, then they were allowed in 2006 and banned 2007?

12. icequeen

icequeen Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Fan

They are considered crop tops. The skirts are just high waisted.

13. Sterling von Shimmer

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    Just a shot in the dark: does anyone have access to an old uniform catalog or rules guide from 2000-2001? Or know of some sort of archive where I could find that stuff? I’m trying to remember what exactly was allowed stunts-wise back then. And also what uniforms looked like. If I remember correctly, that was right around the time that the “way too many freaking stripes” trend became popular.

So anyway, any help would be great. I’ve got an email in to AACCA about it as well so we’ll see.

14. OldskoolKYcheercoach

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    That was around cheerleading dead-rule era.

They had gotten rid of almost all the fun stuff. They MIGHT have allowed switch ups back in by this time but I wouldn’t bank on it. Definitely no flips and no inversions save for the “incidental dropping of head below waist” in a well-performed basket banana curl. You can find a video of Christian Brothers High school and Craigmont HS from that era on YouTube and get a feel for routines that would have been pushing the envelope. There is also a 2001 video of Dunbar, I believe from a guy who’s name is Dan something.

If you can find a video of Martin Westview HS or Middle school from Martin, TN, they were a top performer in all girl as well.

15. Sterling von Shimmer

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    Yeah absolutely no inversions at that point I think. Probably no releases either? I remember ticks only getting popular around 2003-2004. Or maybe that was when everyone just got good at them.

Around that time though I absolutely remember we had a five-base basket lol. So illegal now. And we also dropped from a standing position straight into a prone position (push-up position) in our choreo. It’s funny to me how restricted every little thing has become now, although I assume it’s for safety’s sake so can’t really argue. I’ll admit, the push-up choreo gave me tendinitis my senior year. Probably for the best you can’t do it anymore.