What Do They Teach At ...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 7, 2012
what do they teach at flying class? besides the obvious..... our gym doesn't offer that....and i would like to know exactly what they do over..... do they stick u with random stunt group? stretches? etc...?

At our gym, the stunt class is set up with level 5 bases. All the flyers are given a group, and there may be between 3 and 7 flyers per group. The coach that runs stunt class typically knows the flyers well enough to be able to tell the bases what skills to work on with the flyer and the flyers take turns working those skills.
Stretches are incorporated into warm-ups.

I like the way they do theirs^^^

At ours, they really don't fly. It's more like a workout. They either do a lot of stretching. Not conventional stretching more like conditioning stretching. Besides that part they do a lot of pulling them on the floor. Like we have a rod floor that's like a foot off the ground. They start with one foot on the rod floor and one on the ground. They count and tell them to stand up on the rod floor and what stretches to do. Then come down. I feel its helps a lot. I know my daughter and a lot of lower level athletes could barely elevate their self up on one foot and balance when it started. Now everyone can do that and pull their stretches. Some more then others. It's is just a easy way to have a lot of girls pulling stretches at one time and practicing body control.

I would love if they could work stunt groups but it just wouldn't be possible in that class lol.

at my gym they stretch and condition the flyer for "flyer things". Basically any position that they flyer is doing in the air, they're going to help you get better at them.

At my gym the coaches help the flyers streacth all body positions, and also have them do some conditioning! but mostly they streatch body positions

One gym I was at did just stretching, the other gym did stretching and stunting with coaches as bases and mats behind .

At one of the gyms I work with, we don't have an official flying class, but most (if not all) of the program's flyers take privates lessons specifically for flying. The lessons consist of stretching, conditioning, and working on technique/timing on a "stunt-stepper."

The extra work the flyer puts is really shows when they put the routine on the floor. The flyers that take lessons are much more confident in the air, stronger, stable, and as a result tend to preform better than those who don't take extra lessons.

Back