All-Star What Is Important To You At An Events?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Can we list the main suggestions? (Not necessarily in order of importance - we can do that later.)
  • Qualified judges
  • Fair, consistent judging system
  • Openness of judging system (coaches being allowed to know why they lost/won)
  • Unrushed, safe warmup area
  • Event runs on time
  • Production value (lights, backdrop, etc)
  • Participant gifts (bags, trinkets, etc)
  • Individual competition awards (jackets, rings, etc)
  • Allow coaches to video/photograph
  • Allow crowd to video/photograph
  • Hospitality
  • Food/Concessions
  • Expense of entry fee
  • Expense of spectators
  • availability/quality of spectator seating
  • trophy/banner quality
  • efficient awards ceremony
  • elaborate awards ceremony (lots of prizes for stuff other than division rank)
  • fun/games on stage between sessions/awards
Feel free to add

For now, we can stay away from the hotels/cities/tourist stuff, although that can certainly be a factor for many. Once we get a complete-ish list of factors, I would love to see people's grades on each for the major events. That would be interesting.
i agree with all of these

That can be done. Bluecat, if you organize the categories and how we should rank them (1-10 maybe?) Ill post and send to everyone.

Sorry to hijack Dan but comparative ranking is good for you as well.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Let me wait just a bit to see if there are other good things to put on the list. We can then organize them.

There are potentially two vectors to look at those bullet points. One is how each event "scores" on each one of them - the other would be how those factors rank in terms of importance.

Let me ask any event producers out there - Would this be helpful information? Would it be just as helpful if King, behind the scenes, just took a survey, averaged out the results, then presented you with the final numerical result? Would you be interested in how you compared to other events/event producers in each category, or would all you cared about be how your final average score compared? Perhaps you see where I am going with this.

I like it. I also think people are more willing to give more honest answers through here. Sometimes submitting to an EP you find peeps will show a lil bias.

And not dragging out the dance party thing before awards. When I got up at 6am, I've been sat at the convention centre for 12 hours and I'm waiting for the final award session so I can go home, I'm not particularly in the mood to do the peanut butter and jelly dance.

Get rid of all mascots and fanfare that makes it more like a theme park and less like an athletic event. If at a kids baseball tournanment to hand out trophies they started with a dancing mascot people would wonder what the heck is going on.

Get rid of all mascots and fanfare that makes it more like a theme park and less like an athletic event. If at a kids baseball tournanment to hand out trophies they started with a dancing mascot people would wonder what the heck is going on.

Agreed, especially for senior awards. I'm 17, I don't really want to see Jammy, I want to know where I placed and go home.

Don't worry about hijacking anything from me. This is all I wanted was to start a frank and open discussion about what people truly want at events. I'd love to see people's response to what matters most. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help, and if anyone would like to ask any questions regarding the event side I'd love to contribute.

as a coach, i want to see good judges. I never want to feel like I know more about how the scoring grid is supposed to work than the judges do, while i a gree most big competitions get it right, the judging quality at even major brand's smaller events leaves a lot to be desired.
Also, hospitality rooms are important for me. I cuold care less about coaches gifts (tho I have seen nice ones) but an area to get away to with soda and food (can be cheap stuff, doesn't ahvce to me amazing) where I can relax with no distractions for a while is great.

PS, one of the best hospitality rooms is Spirit Celebration. Billy rocked it out. I've never been in them at one of the major nationals so i don't know how it stacked up, but he did an amazing job with the food in there.

It's important to me that the event not last all day long because of unneccessary fluff. During awards, it gets really old really fast to have music, games, dancing, etc., that take forever. When there are several award ceremonies throughout the day, it really adds to the time that we have to be there.

I wish I could shimmy this a million times...

All the things blucat said but I'll add a lil pomp and circumstance isn't bad either. Some time put into the stage and presense of the competition is nice and gives a more prestigious feel. Less gimmicks and treating it more like a sport that we all think it is.

Lighting.. and back drop.. I will add.

The better these are the better the pictures and videos, the more people like what they see, the more will start to come to your event NCA, Cheersport, and Worlds are prime examples. Great Lighting and not to busy backdrop.

Important to end early on Sunday. Most everyone has school and work on Monday. Having an event end past 6 is too late in my opinion.

Latest posts

Back