What To Look For When Choosing A Gym?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

NerdMobile

Cheer Parent
May 2, 2014
Hi all. We are going into the 4th year of All Star cheer. My cp sadly outgrew the program at our local All Star Gym. We loved the coach and the girls, but the gym fielded only 2 teams (youth and senior). It was tough to have 5 year olds placed on the team who not only could not do a roll but had no patience or attention span to learn and my cp asked if we could look around for someplace where she could learn/do more. We live in a really rural, middle of nowhere area so it means we actually have a lot of places to choose from (since getting to ANY is going to be a drive we end up having a bunch of choices). I called each potential place and got info...but I have no idea what I'm asking...what I am looking for. We have visited, sat in on practices/classes where allowed, sampled clinics/open gyms (my cp made the request to find somewhere new last October so has given her all in finishing out the season while we looked around at other options so this has been a slow process). My quest to sort it all out is in fact how I found this board!

I feel like this should be easy. If she feels comfortable, the coaches are positive and capable then boom we go to tryouts (which are obviously upon us). The problem is all of our options are great. They all seem to have talented coaches, solid programs, a passion for the sport and the participants, nice families to tell me about their experiences, nice athletes, etc

So, how do we decide? For those of you with experience what did you feel was most important to you in selecting a gym? Are there must haves or must avoids you can share from your time with AS Cheer? When everyone is great what can be the deciding factor?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

If you have a level 1 to 4 kid, look at their lower level teams closely.

Do they get quality coaching staff or are the majority of the coaches dedicated to the Worlds teams with more inexperienced coaches dealing with levels below 5? It's important to be part of a program that values all teams at all levels, but recognizes that the LIFE BLOOD of your gym = levels 1 to 4.

Look at the technique of lower level kids. Believe it or not, that can tell you a lot about a gym. Are all the kids on Y2 throwing janky BHS? That may be a clue that the gym doesn't follow proper progressions and is just rushing kids through skills.

Ask about the tumbling schedule. Some gyms offer unlimited tumbling with tuition. This is huge when you want your kid to grow and make progress. With unlimited tumbling, the ability to afford tumbling doesn't hinder your child's progress.

After two years of AS and 3 of rec, I have a few smaller questions that would factor into my decision.

Commitment/ practice
* hours of practice (especially with a younger cp)
*absenteeism policy (lets you know what is expected of you and if you can hopefully rely on teammates)
* summer practice schedule (can you miss any/)
*does the gym shut down for any scheduled holiday or summer breaks?
*how early are possible extra practices scheduled?
*if you practice on weekends, will missed team practices be rescheduled if a team attends a comp instead?
*what comps?
*will the gym accept bids for comps? what type? only full ? will it be discussed among the team or is it the gym's decision?

Costs/Classes
*tumbling policy? included? open gyms? privates?
*are flyers expected to pay for a flight class or stunt class in addition to regular team fees? Is it mandatory?
*hidden costs- like clinics or extra unis for special comps
*are all tumble classes also open to the public? If so, are there any AS any open gyms that will allow cp to work specifically on something required in the routine

Comps
Book flights on our own or as team?
Must we stay at designated team motel?

Team Placement
policy on required skills?
crossovers?

You would have to ask these questions to gym (s) you are considering. Schedule and practice depends on the gym, level and team. Younger levels may have less practice time or less 2 day or overall comps as higher levels, higher level athlete may want to or are required to do xtra classes, all of these therefore affecting overall costs. Gyms vary on mandatory travel rules.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Look at cost, comps that they'll attend, and also maybe what team your CP will make with the skills she has. All gyms have different standards and you want a level/age group where she will feel comfortable/happy. Also everything the others said. good points.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Most we have the info for from each gym and they are all pretty similar. I did not however think to inquire about AC!! All of our visiting has been in the cold months so I would not have been able to tell just from stopping by (nor would it have even crossed my mind).

For her 3 years of AS participation (and frankly her 4 years of rec) she missed ONE practice for emergency surgery. Her brother plays ice hockey year round so we pretty much are tied to being home/kid activities- which makes it easy for us to be available when we need to be. This past year she has been at the gym 6 days a week for something cheer related and though she LOVES it I would like to see less gym time! Because our current gym has only 2 teams it does not matter what skills you have- it is divided by age: all kids 11 and under are youth; all 12 and older are senior. Each of the places we have visited have enough teams to consider skill as well as age and that has made her so happy and excited.

She is no help in deciding. Her impression is as mine- every place is really nice and well run. That actually seems to be the problem- they ALL really seem to be awesome so how to decide???? What will set one above the other? Might it really come down to air conditioning?

Did you happen to see any if these gyms at any competitions this season? Did the gym seem to have good team spirit and come support each other or did the crowds seem thin for each team? Sounds silly but having a program where all of the teams support each other and are truly a 'team' is important too.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I am in the exact same position. We are going to 8 tryouts. I really thought that as we visited and went to clinics etc...that I wouldn't like a few of the gyms. But they're all good. We'd be happy at any of them. We have tryouts all this week and all the results will be in by next weekend. It's going to be a tough decision. But I guess it could be worse. Who can complain about having to choose between several good options? Best of luck with your search. Keep us posted.

I actually put AC to the top of the list- i hate heat and humidity ;) We did see most if not all at competitions between this year and last. I work at a college and I have met girls who have cheered for the gyms we are considering and also have met parents who also work at the college with kids currently in their programs. All have good things to say. We almost ad one more gym on our list, but one of the parents made a disparaging remark about another program and I felt I did not want to be part of any negativity so crossed them off the list- so I guess it could be worse! I think we have it narrowed to 4.

If you have a level 1 to 4 kid, look at their lower level teams closely.

Do they get quality coaching staff or are the majority of the coaches dedicated to the Worlds teams with more inexperienced coaches dealing with levels below 5? It's important to be part of a program that values all teams at all levels, but recognizes that the LIFE BLOOD of your gym = levels 1 to 4.

Look at the technique of lower level kids. Believe it or not, that can tell you a lot about a gym. Are all the kids on Y2 throwing janky BHS? That may be a clue that the gym doesn't follow proper progressions and is just rushing kids through skills.

Ask about the tumbling schedule. Some gyms offer unlimited tumbling with tuition. This is huge when you want your kid to grow and make progress. With unlimited tumbling, the ability to afford tumbling doesn't hinder your child's progress.
I had popped in this morning before we headed out to practice and missed this post! This is such a big help. I am thinking about each gym now with this advice in mind and reviewing everything we have seen with a new perspective....

For me, the attendance policy and actually enforcing it is huge to me! My CPs current gym had so many absences last year. It really hurt them because they really could not change up and improve their routine because they did not have a few truly commited cheerleaders (or families). We are still at the same gym this year because my CP loves it there. The owners are saying that they are going to enforce an absentee policy this year. Fingers crossed that they really do!

Good luck in your decision!

There were 5 things I looked for when I moved my cp :cheering:from 1 gym to the gym she is at now:

5. There is a team for every age, level and ability

4. There are plenty of classes (tumbling, flying, jumps, etc.) and options to help the cheerleader to advance their skills - My child can go as far as they want and the coaches will push their ability

3. The staff and coaches are supportive and positive to every cheerleader - (even the Owners of the gym is personable and approachable)

2. There is an open policy, the gym allows the parents to watch practices and nothing is hidden.

**1. It is affordable - PRICE FRIENDLY, WooHoo!:D

Back