All-Star What's Open Gym Like?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 25, 2012
Okay, this is probably the dumbest question ever.:banghead: Eh, maybe there's been dumber..but anyways I've been doing private lesson for so long I can't even remember, but they're so expensive! So I want to switch to open gym but I don't fully understand how it works? If I need a spot for a new tumbling skill, do I just ask for one than wait ten minutes until my turn again? Or are there different stations for working on different skills? Please help , so confused here lol :)

I'd like to know too... Someone I know said about going along to the open gym they go to but I have literally no idea what to expect!

I guess every gym does it differently, but I love going to our open gym sessions! Sometimes only 2 people show up and it's basically like a private lesson anyway with the coaches, and other times over 50 people will be there working on skills. If you are working on tumbling you can usually find a coach to help spot you, but then work on the tumble track or do drills while they are helping other people. If you are planning to stunt it's helpful if you can get a group/spotter together before you go :)
I think open gym sessions are awesome, and definitely a good option if privates are too expensive

At our open gym, there are coaches available for spotting, but yes, you do need to wait in the line for your turn. Typically the girls work on the skills they already have, but are trying to clean up or perfect, while they wait their turn. They also do a lot of conditioning and drills while they wait or instead. Some just come to play and throw their skills for fun.

It depends on the gym. Call the gyms and ask. Ours is run like a regular tumbling class, but others are not structured.

Definitely depends on the gym. In most cases, I usually just went to work on skills I had for fun. Usually you can't rely on them for getting a million new skills

I guess it Depends on the gym, I've been to an open gym where the coaches are there just making sure no-one is injured but not to coach, so people just worked on passes they were cleaning, using the gyms facilities or cleaning stunts with their stunt group

Dittos on the above descriptions, except at our gym open gym was strictly for tumbling, no stunting.

Anna-grace I presume from your avatar you're a fellow scrapbooker.:) (love the page)

It depends. Some times it's just a free for all and parents drop off their little kids so they can just go crazy and be out of their hair for a few hours. Some run them like an actual class and help with your tumbling.

I assume you mean to do it at the same gym? If so, just go and spectate one session. Mileage is going to vary based on how organized they are, and how many ppl attend. Generally if they are organized as they should be with lines for tumbling lanes, you'll get your turn, take your pass, get a bit of advice and move back in line.

Most gyms will state their open gym policy is simple spotting, and it is NOT for individual coaching. But I've never seen a coach who was able to not coach at least a little bit. Again, your mileage will vary. We had similar experience as Auscheerflyer said, when my CP first started. Pretty much nobody went to Saturday open gym, and it was like private lessons, but free!

Dittos on the above descriptions, except at our gym open gym was strictly for tumbling, no stunting.

Anna-grace I presume from your avatar you're a fellow scrapbooker.:) (love the page)

yes! My leavers book from my last year at school :) although I cheated slightly on that as I took the idea from an internet image I found :/ loving your avatar!

yes! My leavers book from my last year at school :) although I cheated slightly on that as I took the idea from an internet image I found :/ loving your avatar!
scraplifting - the sincerest form of flattery
my avatar is from a caricature done of my cp at UCA in 2011

my apologies to the thread for the minor "hijack"

Back