OT What's Your Degree?!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
I'm starting my senior year of college on Wednesday. Double majoring in psychology and social work! Hoping to start grad school next year to get my MSW.

What are your plans if you leave the profession?
To be honest, I never grew up wanting to be a librarian, but I find life throws you a curve. Like I said earlier, I wanted to go into Healthcare Admin./run a hospital, etc... But what happened I applied for an Accounting position at a college to pay my tuition while I continued my studies and the Director of the Library plucked my resume out of a bunch and decided to hire me to work as a Circulation Mgr. and later promoted me to Librarian while I was still going to school. After abruptly leaving NYC, I worked as a School Librarian to make money and the school district sent me to school for the MS degree because they needed Spec. Ed. teachers with Math/Science background. I have to say, the MLS degree have opened many doors for me and if you decide to go the school library direction make sure you have a good foundation in the new technology and Internet researching, many schools are moving away from books.

I decided I was going to be a librarian when I was 7. I asked my mom to take me to the library and she said we had other errands to run and I threw a fit and told her that one day I was going to be a librarian and go to the library whenever I wanted and when I got a license the first place I was going to drive is the library blah blah ......a long tangent that 21 years later I regret

So basically I always knew that I'd be a librarian.

I think that one of her biggest differences between the MLS and the MLIS is that it's more information science based, more Web 2.0 based, more online database oriented etc, so a switch to SLM would be in no way an issue. ------I also started the MLIS program as SLM and switched to Youth Services at the last minute, which is another reason why the switch would be nbd, I've already taken the graduate level education courses, passed the Praxis II, and gone through the steps for alt certification. It's just a matter of finding a job at a school I'm interested in and applying and getting hired

If I leave public librarianship I don't know what I'll do other than be happy . I have some specific career interests that I've researched but nothing worth sharing at this point.

Both of my degrees can open a lot of doors

I decided I was going to be a librarian when I was 7. I asked my mom to take me to the library and she said we had other errands to run and I threw a fit and told her that one day I was going to be a librarian and go to the library whenever I wanted and when I got a license the first place I was going to drive is the library blah blah ......a long tangent that 21 years later I regret

So basically I always knew that I'd be a librarian.

I think that one of her biggest differences between the MLS and the MLIS is that it's more information science based, more Web 2.0 based, more online database oriented etc, so a switch to SLM would be in no way an issue. ------I also started the MLIS program as SLM and switched to Youth Services at the last minute, which is another reason why the switch would be nbd, I've already taken the graduate level education courses, passed the Praxis II, and gone through the steps for alt certification. It's just a matter of finding a job at a school I'm interested in and applying and getting hired

If I leave public librarianship I don't know what I'll do other than be happy . I have some specific career interests that I've researched but nothing worth sharing at this point.

Both of my degrees can open a lot of doors
Alright now! Good Luck in your future endeavors...

Degree is in Middle Eastern Studies, concentration in Arabic. I was an officer in the Air Force and now I'm an aircraft appraiser. I'm also about 15 credits away from a degree in nuclear and mechanical engineering and I worked as a nuclear engineer for two years, but I don't think I'll ever finish that degree. Looking to go back to school to teach.

Bachelors in Mass Communications with a focus on Journalism.
My senior year of college I started coaching all star and fell head over heels for that. After I graduated, I was a high school and middle school Speech, Drama and English teacher for 5 years then decided to coach all star full time.

I love what I'm doing now, and I'm happy to actually have landed a job in my field...which is more than a lot of new grads can say. (Especially in the communications field) But I have always thought if I ended up doing anything else I would want to go to school for speech pathology.

I have my Bachelors in Psychology and my Masters in Marriage and Family Therapy. I am a Clinical Supervisor at an outpatient substance abuse facility. I also have a private practice where I specialize in working with adolescents, teens and young adults with eating disorders, body image issues, as well as self harm behaviors.

I start my final year in a few weeks so will hopefully have a BA in Classics in June. I'm applying for an MSc in Computer Science so fingers crossed for that! I want to get into Forensics, but to do a Masters in that you need a Chemistry degree, so I think I'm going to head towards forensic computing/security instead if I get onto a Masters programme :)

I have a Bachelor of Science degree in General Engineering with an emphasis in Aeronautical Engineering. That basically means that my senior year at the Air Force Academy, decided to switch majors from Aeronautical to General and have a lot more fun since I didn't think I would use my major while flying on active duty.

After 22 years I can say I was right. My long term goal is to just be a regular civilian flight instrcutor and hang out around the airport all day teaching basic flying and aerobatics which doesn't pay well at all so I need to build up that nest egg.

Back