When A Flyer Must Fly The Coop.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

My daughter was 14. We switched gyms that year and the team she went to had one spot open for a base. She had never based before -but was willing to learn to be on that team. She had been a flyer since age 7. If we had stayed at our previous gym, she would have flown center stunt - but she gave that up for a better opportunity. She ended up growing a few more inches - so she is almost 5'6" and is 16 -so she stayed on the ground :) She fluctuates between backspotting and basing. She prefers backspotting, but bases in pyramid - and bases in some stunts and then has been switched back to backspotting again. She actually took it quite well - she realized if she wanted to be on the team she wanted she would have to base and she was fine with it, and never once complained about not flying - and now she loves backspotting. There is nothing you can do if your body changes anyway :) She is lean and muscular and is proud of her backspotting/basing abilities - especially keeping stunts in the air!

my friend flew at a very young age. she isn't big, our team is just full of small people. they boys included on that note. she has gorgeous body positions. straight leg scorp, gorgeous scale, etc. & even hyperextended jumps, she just cant fly on our team.

I stopped flying when I was 12 because I stopped cheering, when I came back at 14, I had outgrown the bases at the gym I joined. When I make it to level 5 I have a chance to fly again. Wish me luck! :)

I've flown since I was 4 & after taking a year off, i'm rejoining a rec competition team just to get back in the swing of things & i'll be one of the oldest & biggest (16 and 5'6, 110lbs) so I doubt i'll be flying since most girls are 12-14 & around 80-100lbs :p

I have a different side to this story. I started cheering when I was 12 but I didn't start flying until I was 20 years old.

I was on a junior team as a 12 and 13 year old and was too tall to fly. Then I was moved straight from that junior team to a senior level 5 team where I could have flown...It was just easier to teach me to base level 5 stunts instead of to fly them. Not until my junior year of college did I start flying. At that point I was still my high school size (5'5" and 110lbs) and all the fliers weighed at least 10 pounds more than me. Putting me in the air was just logical.

It's funny because most people size out of flying. I sized into flying.

I have a similar story .I 've started cheering at 13 as main base. When I get to college I was too small to base (5'2) so the first years,I was front base and side base in some pyramids.Last years I turn out to be too small again to base ( trust me it pretty frustrating) so I stay front base until a flier get hit 2 week before a competition.I had to do a ground up heel strecht-bow and arrows and pop front( dismount ).I nailed it every time.So i started to fly at 18 but I never learn the basics(pop crable ,basket ...) like all I know its how to pull every figures and either double twist it or pop front or pop back it . What shoudl I do ? this years I still cheering I started as a flier but turn out main base because my basket dosent hit and the bases(for most who dosent have experience at all) was complaining im to heavy so It was too hard for me to truts them .Any tips ?

my friend flew at a very young age. she isn't big, our team is just full of small people. they boys included on that note. she has gorgeous body positions. straight leg scorp, gorgeous scale, etc. & even hyperextended jumps, she just cant fly on our team.
That kind of like my problam, like i have the skills perfectly, but we just have smaller and younger flyers. Like I'm 5' 105-110 so I;m still fairly small, but we have flyers that are 11 and 12 who weigh like 70pounds so it just makes sense. I miss it tho, cant wait untill collage

Back