When Are You Too Old To Start Cheering?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 4, 2014
I got hooked on cheerleading when I was 14 years old, but this was back in 2001 and there weren't any clubs that offered cheerleading around my place here in Sweden back then. Instead I attended a school where there was ballett, jazz and modern dancing on the schedual. This got me into shape and I couldn't help but practice cheerleading on my own at home (the different jumps such as toetouches, herkies, pikes etc. and the positions such as scorpion, heel stretch and bow and arrow).

I quit that at the age of 20 and now I'm 27. I'm not completely out of shape nor un-flexible but definitly not in as great shape as I used to be either. The interest for cheerleading hasn't changed and after joining this board I couldn't help but looking into what cheerclubs there are nearby these days. And I found one club in my city that do pracitce allstar cheerleading nowdays :)

They do write that they accept anyone no matter how old they are, but then again I realize cheerleading is very demanding physicaly and it's just common sense that with age your physics won't be as great as when you're a teen.

So my questions is to everyone here who has first-hand experience with cheerleading: when are you too old to start cheering? Despite my background with ballett, jazz and modern dancing would it be a bad idea to sign up for newbie cheerleading at this club at the age of 27?

Any inputs are very appriciated :)

Go for it. You might not be the oldest. At 40+ I think my cheer ship has sailed.

Please send more money

There was a 40 year guy on the floor (he was IOC5) at Worlds a few years back. As long as conditioning doesn't induce cardiac arrest for you, you should be fine!

Thanks everyone for the replies!
I honestly thought the replies would be that 27 is waaay too old to start so this was a pleasant surprise :p

Definitly gonna contact them and see what they say. Would be a dream come true if I could start cheering =)

With the way the rules are in Europe... most senior teams (the international level here in the US), are 15+ and most are composed of college ages kids (so 20s+) and people already in the work force

I agree. Now a days it is very easy to find an all-star cheer gym etc. But i think you are to old to start at 17, because all-star only reaches up to 18 and if you like it you will need to stop right away unfortunately.

I agree. Now a days it is very easy to find an all-star cheer gym etc. But i think you are to old to start at 17, because all-star only reaches up to 18 and if you like it you will need to stop right away unfortunately.
Some divisions (International 5 and Open 6) have no top age.

Please send more money

Oh yea, but it does require a high level of skill for someone who is new to cheer. So if your new and are a bit older it will be harder to start.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android
I was on an Open 4 team a few years ago with mediocre stunting ability and a jank back handspring, all I did was middle school (which was a joke) and high school cheer. There were also people on my team with little experience. I'm glad they started this division because it allows people to start later or to continue on if they didn't progress as far as level 5. But most other countries do have open teams at all levels it seems, so it is easier for them to start later.

I was on an Open 4 team a few years ago with mediocre stunting ability and a jank back handspring, all I did was middle school (which was a joke) and high school cheer. There were also people on my team with little experience. I'm glad they started this division because it allows people to start later or to continue on if they didn't progress as far as level 5. But most other countries do have open teams at all levels it seems, so it is easier for them to start later.
I get what your saying, but it seems hard for someone who never did it before at the age of maybe 20? To start at an open level 5 or 6 team. But there are other factors, like if you are completely new and get older you might not try. The older open teams are mainly made up of people who cheered their whole life and can commit. If you never did cheer it might be harder to commit so much, especially if you are older and need to handle a job.

I get what your saying, but it seems hard for someone who never did it before at the age of maybe 20? To start at an open level 5 or 6 team. But there are other factors, like if you are completely new and get older you might not try. The older open teams are mainly made up of people who cheered their whole life and can commit. If you never did cheer it might be harder to commit so much, especially if you are older and need to handle a job.

Yes, it would be hard to start at level 5 or 6, but there are lower levels as well.

While I wish I was 17 I'm not, I'm 27 ;)

I also believe it's abit different in the US from Europé and Sweden. I understand that for you guys, where it's such a big and popular thing, there are more regulations, more divisions and so forth.
I mean, in Sweden no schools have any sports teams or cheerleading teams for example. If you want to do any sports at any age you will have to turn to individual clubs who usually offer practices for both kids and adults alike :) So things in general do work a little different in that regard I'm sure :)
From what I can read on this teams page they do accept anyone no matter age, they practice once a week for 2 hours and they have several different teams (some for children, some for older people, some for beginners and some for advanced). So as you can see it's not nearly as hardcore as in the US ;)

My main reason for asking is because when I started ballett at the age of 15 the teacher of our class flat out told us there were no chance of us ever doing ballett on any other level than for fun because we were too old and our boddies had already developed beyond the point where we could turn them into what is needed for serious ballett. Which is why I thought I should ask if the same applied for cheerleading purly phsically.

Just to clear things up ;)

Back