All-Star When Are Your 2013-14 Tryouts And How Are Placements Determined?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

anythingforcheer

Cheer Parent
Feb 25, 2010
Seems some parts of the country are preparing for 2013-14 tryouts, when are they and how are your tryouts run to determine team placements?

We start early in Texas! My cp doesn't tryout until the beginning of May, she wanted to do the last session so she didn't have to wait as long for placement. Then they get a phone call from the team coach welcoming them to whatever team they made. She is hoping for Youth 2, since this is her last season of eligibility and she has never been on a youth team!

We'll have our for the kids in April, I think, maybe May. Adult teams won't go until Aug/Sept. Too many people can't commit over the summer. Don't know how they're run though, other than for open tryouts. Just like a practice with time on the last day to show off tumbling/jump skills. Our coaches like to watch how we stunt to get an idea or how we work with others

I understand that mega gyms auch as Stimgrays and Cheer Athletics have certain tryout criteria that they use consistently across the board which makes all the teams pretty successful season after season, interested in hearing about various gyms tryout criteria

Our gym has practices for 2 weeks (the first 2 full weeks in may after the summit)

They will set different times and days for each level and you go to all the practices for whatever level your trying out.

You can choose what you tryout for... But if you don't have the tumbling then I wouldn't really waste your time.

During these practices if they feel you are in the wrong league they will tell you from now on go to level X practices.

If for some reason you don't get moved at all during the many tryout practices you still may be moved during placements. So don't get to excited yet.

When they actually put the numbers with the teams they may have to move some kids around to make the teams the most successful. So several days after practice they post teams on the website!!!!

We are expected to go from 7 now to about 10 teams this upcoming season (and they only had like 5 last season so they are growing rapidly) so it makes me more and more nervous with all these kids!!!

My daughter is an awesome tumbler but is average at best in most other areas... I'm so afraid she will be on the same level again this season lol can we just skip the next 2 months!!!?? I worry every year for nothing :)

Our evaluation process is the same every season. There are times blocked off on Saturday by age group for kids to come in and tumble, practice on jumps, learn the dance, etc. On Sunday kids tryout by age. 5's together. 6's together. 7's together. etc. Veteran's and new kids tryout at the same time. We try and keep them in groups of 3 or 4 so the staff get's a good look at each child. Parents are allowed to watch their kid in their evaluations. I like this part of it. Staff stays up all night Sunday night and usually teams are posted online on early Monday morning......(think 4 am ish) Last season she went a different way and had those that could come meet, hear her speak about the team placement process. Tables were marked by last names and kids went there to get an envelope with their team placement in it. It was really fun!!!

Our evaluations start at the beginning of May. First week is by age and then they are broken into various skill levels for second week and then final placement.

Our evaluation process is the same every season. There are times blocked off on Saturday by age group for kids to come in and tumble, practice on jumps, learn the dance, etc. On Sunday kids tryout by age. 5's together. 6's together. 7's together. etc. Veteran's and new kids tryout at the same time. We try and keep them in groups of 3 or 4 so the staff get's a good look at each child. Parents are allowed to watch their kid in their evaluations. I like this part of it. Staff stays up all night Sunday night and usually teams are posted online on early Monday morning......(think 4 am ish) Last season she went a different way and had those that could come meet, hear her speak about the team placement process. Tables were marked by last names and kids went there to get an envelope with their team placement in it. It was really fun!!!
Are the levels determined by overall skill or does your organization try to keep kids together more of age and skill. I see how awesome the youth 5 is, so do they move together to jr 5 then sr 5, or do they break them up?

Are the levels determined by overall skill or does your organization try to keep kids together more of age and skill. I see how awesome the youth 5 is, so do they move together to jr 5 then sr 5, or do they break them up?

I would imagine it's a tight rope walk to get the right balance of age and skill. Most YE kids will end up on a Jr 5 team.....then as they gain skill be considered for our Sr worlds teams.

Our placements are always in May. We usually have kids grouped Mon/Wed by age and Tues/Thursday by tumbling level. Friday they perform the placement routine in groups of three and then do some stunting. Effort has been made to keep kids on age appropriate teams unless the skill level was ranked as above the top percent in their age bracket and in the top half of the next bracket then they would be invited to stay for the next age bracket for the possibility to be placed on a higher age/level team. If the skill level was high but the ranking not above that top percentage then the athlete may be still invited to stay for the higher age team but they would be required to do their age appropriate team and have the option of doubling on the higher team. My CP's placement progression has looked like this:
Yr 1 6-7 Y1 (no mini team that yr)
Yr 2 7-8 M1 (no youth team that yr)
Yr 3 8-9 M1 & Y2
Yr 4 9-10 Y1 & Jr2
Yr 5 10-11 Sr2 & Sr 3 (no jr team)
She has actually ended up triple teaming this year a couple of times because in addition to her regular teams she has filled in for injured/absent athletes on the youth team since she is the only athlete in our program young enough to do so that is not on the youth team. I have no clue where she will end up this next season.

Her brother joined her on the Sr 3 co-ed team this year and we would really love to do so again this next season. Hopefully it works out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We'll do a mass tryout for our Open Coed and Open All Girl teams in mid/late May. They'll all practice as a group over the summer, then we'll retry them out for placement in September.

This year we ended up with an All Girl 4 and a Coed 6. Hopefully next year we can get the All Girl to a 6 by the fall by having them train with the higher level team

How do most programs do Open Teams? Some gyms open them to all age eligible people, then some are only for the ages that the teams are made for.

Our gym has practices for 2 weeks (the first 2 full weeks in may after the summit)

They will set different times and days for each level and you go to all the practices for whatever level your trying out.

You can choose what you tryout for... But if you don't have the tumbling then I wouldn't really waste your time.

During these practices if they feel you are in the wrong league they will tell you from now on go to level X practices.

If for some reason you don't get moved at all during the many tryout practices you still may be moved during placements. So don't get to excited yet.

When they actually put the numbers with the teams they may have to move some kids around to make the teams the most successful. So several days after practice they post teams on the website!!!!
This sounds pretty much exactly how our gym does it as well. Except now they will have separate flyer evaluations too. We start evaluations March 25!

Latest posts

Back