High School When Its All Over

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 9, 2016
Well since im approaching my senior year, im having the inevitable thought of what happens when cheer is all over. I really do love cheering for my school, and making community service appearances, so i know i will be so upset when its over and i go to college. The university i plan on going to, the cheer program is built mostly on community appearances not competition and cheering at games much like mine now (almost) but cheering in college doesnt seem right for me.

If anyone would like to share their experience of life after cheer, that would be great lol. And possibly if you've never cheered how do you get through it?

Thanks for making this thread I'm on the same boat as you. After all the years of practice,spending weekends at games/comps,etc. it's gonna be a process adjusting to life post cheer.

I'm probably not the one to give advice here lol. I went from high school & allstars straight into college cheer, followed by an open team and then coaching. Most amount of time I was off from cheer was about 6-7 months.

My first advice is enjoy your first summer without cheer! My senior season ended in April and college practices were only two long weekends a month until August. I had a lot of time on my hands and hung out with friends, spent time with family since I was moving away, went to the pool a lot, worked/saved up money, got everything ready for my dorm and just enjoyed that in between phase. It was interesting to see how my non cheer friends lived their life, because the gym was all I'd ever known.

If you think you even might want to cheer in college, I suggest at least looking into the program. I came from a very competitive background and cheered at a non-competitive college, don't let that be a turnoff! We were big on gameday appearances and community PR. We had a great basketball team, so I got to travel to a lot of fun places and cheer at NCAA March Madness twice. Those trips are some of my favorite memories ever. College cheer is a lot of fun, so if you're on the fence I recommend at least checking into it and not ruling it out completely.

I also went Greek. Most of my sorority was current or ex-cheerleaders. Cheer is very similiar to greek life. It's easy to make friends, you jump into a whole world of set activities so your calendar will be full, and you are involved on campus. If your college has greek life, definitely look into it!

There are other options like Student Council/government. Most schools have some sort of ambassador program (may have a different name where you are.) They are the students that give tours and welcome groups and families on campus. Many colleges have crazy student sections at games. There are so many ways to get involved on campus, that even if you don't cheer, you can meet people and have plenty to do! Many colleges have some type of freshman fair, go to it and see what all there is!

Oh and fierceboard is always here to fill the void!

I worked with my college's cheer team the summer before college, but ultimately decided that with my major, it would be easier to hang up my cheer sneakers. I was an engineering major, and between my classes and engineering-related activities that I got involved in to begin setting up my resume/network for "real life", I really didn't have time to miss it. I seriously thought that would be the end of cheering for me.

Oddly enough, I fell into a youth rec coaching position after college graduation when I was looking to fill my now empty schedule, and many years later I'm now a Varsity HS Coach.

I'm probably not the one to give advice here lol. I went from high school & allstars straight into college cheer, followed by an open team and then coaching. Most amount of time I was off from cheer was about 6-7 months.

My first advice is enjoy your first summer without cheer! My senior season ended in April and college practices were only two long weekends a month until August. I had a lot of time on my hands and hung out with friends, spent time with family since I was moving away, went to the pool a lot, worked/saved up money, got everything ready for my dorm and just enjoyed that in between phase. It was interesting to see how my non cheer friends lived their life, because the gym was all I'd ever known.

If you think you even might want to cheer in college, I suggest at least looking into the program. I came from a very competitive background and cheered at a non-competitive college, don't let that be a turnoff! We were big on gameday appearances and community PR. We had a great basketball team, so I got to travel to a lot of fun places and cheer at NCAA March Madness twice. Those trips are some of my favorite memories ever. College cheer is a lot of fun, so if you're on the fence I recommend at least checking into it and not ruling it out completely.

I also went Greek. Most of my sorority was current or ex-cheerleaders. Cheer is very similiar to greek life. It's easy to make friends, you jump into a whole world of set activities so your calendar will be full, and you are involved on campus. If your college has greek life, definitely look into it!

There are other options like Student Council/government. Most schools have some sort of ambassador program (may have a different name where you are.) They are the students that give tours and welcome groups and families on campus. Many colleges have crazy student sections at games. There are so many ways to get involved on campus, that even if you don't cheer, you can meet people and have plenty to do! Many colleges have some type of freshman fair, go to it and see what all there is!

Oh and fierceboard is always here to fill the void!
thanks for this, i was thinking of possibly trying out my sophmore year, but since i want to major in journalism id love to end cheer this year and start newspaper or something similar in college. So many opportunities out there

I worked with my college's cheer team the summer before college, but ultimately decided that with my major, it would be easier to hang up my cheer sneakers. I was an engineering major, and between my classes and engineering-related activities that I got involved in to begin setting up my resume/network for "real life", I really didn't have time to miss it. I seriously thought that would be the end of cheering for me.

Oddly enough, I fell into a youth rec coaching position after college graduation when I was looking to fill my now empty schedule, and many years later I'm now a Varsity HS Coach.
lol it seems like we wont ever escape the cheer life :p

thanks for this, i was thinking of possibly trying out my sophmore year, but since i want to major in journalism id love to end cheer this year and start newspaper or something similar in college. So many opportunities out there

I was a reporter for my college's newspaper, and then later became the opinion section editor. I loved every minute of it and now I'm so sad that my journalism days are done. I genuinely think I miss it more than I miss cheering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was a reporter for my college's newspaper, and then later became the opinion section editor. I loved every minute of it and now I'm so sad that my journalism days are done. I genuinely think I miss it more than I miss cheering.

omg this really made me happy and excited to know that something besides cheer will keep me occupied and fun. I was watching meaghan mackey on youtube and she also said journalism is a lot of fun

omg this really made me happy and excited to know that something besides cheer will keep me occupied and fun. I was watching meaghan mackey on youtube and she also said journalism is a lot of fun

I remember being worried at first about not cheering, and then journalism kinda fell into my lap because I had an online class with the editor-in-chief and he asked me to join. I never would have even thought about it had he not asked and I'm so happy I got involved! It was an absolute blast, I got to meet so many people and it was a great way to be involved on campus. If that's something you're interested in, I say go for it! :)

I did cheer after high school and allstars for a few years. I cheered for my college and for a PCA rec style team, but I think my favorite part was coaching. I had been a jr. coach while in high school but I was able to head my own team, I started at the youth cheer level(like pop warner) and now I'm at high school.

Back