When You Feel Like Giving Up...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Sep 30, 2016
Okay yall I'm in serious need of some encouragement and advice. Please forgive this rant...

I'm a coach pretty new to competition. My team who I've been coaching for almost 5 years now will compete for the 2nd year in just two weeks and for the LIFE of me I just cannot get through to some of these girls.

They have been given a fail-proof killer routine, and they have soooo much talent. But its all about me me me, I I I. They dont get that the team will win or lose TOGETHER. I rarely have a practice where everyone is there (mentally and physically). We have yet to go throigh the routine from start to finish and have two weeks left till comp. I can talk until I'm blue in the face and it's like some of them just don't hear it and have no idea how embarrassing it's going to be when they step on that mat and blow their routine.

Yes I use a demerit system so they're being reprimanded for absences, they just don't care. I've had 3 people quit in the last two weeks and had to put in all my alternates (which of course they use that as the excuse for why their stunts don't work)

I'm kind of freaking out slash giving up. Advice? Encouragement? Suggestions?

Let them lose. Seriously.

Give them 1 last talk like "I've given this my all and if you guys don't want to give 100% to the team, then that is your choice. We have our first comp and we'll see how it goes." Help the people who are putting in the effort, let the slackers see that they are't going to get attention for being lazy. Maybe they need to bomb at a competition in order to get their act together.

It's frustrating to realize that even if you give 100%, you can't make your team work sometimes. The first team I ever coached had a variety of reasons that we failed, but I'll never forget that moment of realization when it clicked that we were going to lose, and there was nothing I could do to stop it. It's very humbling. I poured my soul into that team, and the girls loved me for it. Your athletes will feel the same about you.

Okay yall I'm in serious need of some encouragement and advice. Please forgive this rant...

I'm a coach pretty new to competition. My team who I've been coaching for almost 5 years now will compete for the 2nd year in just two weeks and for the LIFE of me I just cannot get through to some of these girls.

They have been given a fail-proof killer routine, and they have soooo much talent. But its all about me me me, I I I. They dont get that the team will win or lose TOGETHER. I rarely have a practice where everyone is there (mentally and physically). We have yet to go throigh the routine from start to finish and have two weeks left till comp. I can talk until I'm blue in the face and it's like some of them just don't hear it and have no idea how embarrassing it's going to be when they step on that mat and blow their routine.

Yes I use a demerit system so they're being reprimanded for absences, they just don't care. I've had 3 people quit in the last two weeks and had to put in all my alternates (which of course they use that as the excuse for why their stunts don't work)

I'm kind of freaking out slash giving up. Advice? Encouragement? Suggestions?

Hi Carley! I would love to hear what you were able to figure out last year! Ever thought of team building? iCheerPink is a philanthropy program for cheerleaders.... I cannot tell you what a turnaround gals make when they have a common goal and see the power that they have in someones life when they work together for a common good. I would love to chat! Warmly, Tristan

Back