All-Star Where Is The Integrity In Cheer Gone?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 22, 2013
Being a parent of an allstar cheerleader for over 12 years has brought many positive aspects in my life and my daughter. I’ve met and developed relationships with some of the best people. Without cheer, I probably would not have met them. But sitting on the outside and looking in, lately I have been sadden by the politics, wheeling and dealing of teams and programs. Nowadays, parents are literally harassing other parents and cheerleaders only to position themselves in self-proclaimed thrones. But the sad thing, it works. Owners have lost their integrity and ownership to do what’s right for the athlete. We have forgottten that it’s about the kids who have worked hard for their skills. Unfortunately parents are allowed to bribe the gym owner with by purchasing team uniforms, monetary gifts for wedding etc. Loyalty, teamwork, sacrifice and determination is of the past. Money talks and bull crap walks.

I literally could have written this post verbatim myself. That is why we got out (for the 2nd time) from all stars. I have met some of the best friends, but that could not outweigh all the negatives about the sport that I have seen emerge in the past 3-5 years. I still have kids in college and HS cheer, even there is politics at play-but NOWHERE near the level of all stars. I have seen more people leave the sport over these issues.

It left when the IASF banned all the skills that made level 5 and 6 unique divisions and wanted to hand worlds wins to international teams on a plate because we clearly aren't capable of doing it in the current "unfair" international system.

ETA: What I meant to say that it exited the building long after Elvis at this point. It left with Elvis when they began the skill bans and simplifications years ago and Var$ity started to morph into the monster it is today.

This is not just an all star Cheer problem.

This is a societal emergency. We are devolving rapidly as a society. Search Youtube for any phrase that might bring up a brawl at a use sporting event and you will find there is no shortage of video footage of altercations (verbal and physical) between coaches and officials, coaches and coaches, officials and players, officials and spectators, coaches and spectators, spectators and spectators, etc. It’s completely asinine to think that generationally we have lost complete control of ourselves, we have no mental toughness, no ability to cope with a let down, disappointment, or loss.

Look at the divorce rate. What used to be sort of taboo, is now seen as the “easy way out.” It’s no big deal to be married two, three, twelve times, because when the going gets tough, the only way out is to buy your way out or quit.

My bold prediction is that within the next 200 years we will all be living in caves throwing rocks at each other again. All the animals we stepped on on our way to the top of the food chain will be saying “hey, where’s all your guns and poop now?”

Yep! Last year my level 1 child had to compete against a team with a level 5 kid. They really need to get that issue straightened out.

You’re at Cheer St. Louis, right? Are you talking about the NCC athlete on their level 1? I coached a Junior 1 last year and every time I was that team compete I was filled with legitimate rage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You’re at Cheer St. Louis, right? Are you talking about the NCC athlete on their level 1? I coached a Junior 1 last year and every time I was that team compete I was filled with legitimate rage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This was a senior team.

Nope! Not your gym. This kid was age appropriate, but they were definitely not level appropriate. This was a senior team.

Oh I know it wasn't ours, believe me every single one of them were definitely level 1 athletes [emoji16] I think I know which team you are talking about though as we attended many of the same competitions. It wasn't even my division and it still made me so angry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back