All-Star Which Athlete Would You Pick?? Asking Coaches Only Please

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Your Level 5 Worlds Team Needs 1 New Member -- A Main Base -- Which Athlete Do You Choose?

• Total voters
Are they needed just as a base or will they be needed as other positions in other parts of the routine eg. pyramid? What is both athletes tumbling like?

I selected BEAST base I feel a BEAST base is so very hard to come by. BUT there are SO many other things that would affect which I would choose. Which tumbles better? What does my team NEED? If we needed a secondary flier then its a no brainer, I'd select #2, but I like the fact your making folks think.

This scenario assumes both have the tumbling skills necessary to be on a level 5 team. Triple toe back, 2 to full and running full. Your biggest need is a base, not a specialty tumbler. I do understand though that usually more than just someone's stunting ability goes into what team they are placed on. However, for specific reasons, I had to make this poll about stunting only. :)

We could also turn this around and say that team needed a BEAST flyer. Do you choose a girl who is AMAZING at flying but not a good base at all or do you choose someone who is well-rounded and can fly well but not AMAZING but can serve other stunting areas for your team?

I voted for the beast. This guarantees you have a legit performer who will meet/exceed your expectations. It is more difficult to have a mediocre performer who may or may not hit. You can count on the beast and ask the rest of the team to fulfill their expectations. It's hard for the so-so person to perform 100% when their expectations could change each week. I'd also choose the beast flyer.

I'm not a cheer coach, but I do help coach volleyball in the summer, so I'll put my knowledge of that to good use here:

Truthfully, it depends on that athlete. I may NEED a beast base, but if she doesn't add anything else and starts throwing off our ratio by not providing other skills needed (for volleyball, I would never turn down a BEAST setter, but if my hitters are awful, what good is that beast setter to me, really?)..where does that put me? Is that beast base WILLING or ABLE to bring up her other lacking skills? Does she have a poor attitude? Is that well-rounded but not amazingly exceptional athlete capable of LEARNING to be exceptional at wherever I put her? Does she fill in my need for a well-rounded athlete? Will she be that dependable girl who will LEARN to excel in that one spot I need her? I've had girls come in to volleyball who weren't AMAZING at one particular spot, but were generally good at everything. Sometimes you just need a person who you can count on to not screw up, even if they're not the star. Eventually, they will either excel at one area while still being good at others OR will excel at all but one or two areas which may lack a little..such as girls who can do everything but set (which is a true specialty).

We could also turn this around and say that team needed a BEAST flyer. Do you choose a girl who is AMAZING at flying but not a good base at all or do you choose someone who is well-rounded and can fly well but not AMAZING but can serve other stunting areas for your team?

It depends on what the rest of the team can do. If you're up to your ears in beast bases and backspots and you need a flyer for all the stunt parts of the routine (stunt sequence, pyramid, baskets) then go for the amazing flyer because you don't need the all rounder. If you definitely need a flyer for the stunt section but might need a base for the pyramid then go for the all rounder because you know they can do which ever part you need them to. If that makes sense?

I picked Beast base. I love a girl (guy) who can do the most difficult stunt, and make it hit no matter what. They allow me to spread the wealth into the other stunt groups.

Without knowing about the rest of the team, I would think that nearly anyone would rather have an incredible base. They are every bit as valuable as incredible flyers. (same is true of tall, "beast" back spots)

IMO it would be much easier to teach a beast main base how to use her power in other positions than to teach the other base how to become more powerful

beast base. if she is that good at main basing, she's probably not to shabby when it comes to side basing and backing.

We are assuming both athletes are well rounded to a certain degree, neither of them being a POOR choice, just which is a better choice for the need of the team which is a main base.

Another question to the coaches --

Would you prefer us parents to give our kids opportunities to be well rounded in cheer BUT keep reality in check as far as what the likelihood is of their future in stunting? Meaning if my 10 year old is already 5 foot tall and 90 pounds, I shouldn't be encouraging her to crossover to a senior team to learn to fly? Or my 10 year old is the smallest girl on her team and is crazy flexible, I shouldn't be encouraging her to crossover to a lower level youth team to learn to base? OBVIOUSLY there are always exceptions to that (the 10 year old that is 5 foot and 90 pounds that never grows another inch or pound and ends up flying when she is older). But for the most part, should we be asking for our CP's to have more opportunities to learn multiple aspects of stunting? Or be content with where their coaches feel they fit best on their age and level appropriate team?

Back