Why All The Guns?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I mean just like why people would have tigers or tornados or tsunamis as their mascot...even though it, physically, is dangerous, it figuratively represents power.

I mean just like why people would have tigers or tornados or tsunamis as their mascot...even though it, physically, is dangerous, it figuratively represents power.

Thanks for the reply!! Never would have made that connection. It seems weird, for the tigers/ tornados names it seems more like a specific gyms theme whereas the gun noises comes up in lots of music, spread over many teams. Also (maybe because I'm English?) I wouldn't really equate guns to power, would you say that was an American cultural thing?

Thanks for the reply!! Never would have made that connection. It seems weird, for the tigers/ tornados names it seems more like a specific gyms theme whereas the gun noises comes up in lots of music, spread over many teams. Also (maybe because I'm English?) I wouldn't really equate guns to power, would you say that was an American cultural thing?
Well, maybe power is a bad word. Like...explosiveness, energy, ruthlessness, fast...hopefully that makes more sense? And you are right, gun sound effects are common in cheer mixes. There probably isn't much of a reason behind it besides to keep a variety of sfx used (unless you're California or CJA or somebody whose mascot is guns/bullets). Usually that is up to the music producer.

I saw on tumblr the other day the reason SOT have the gun signal is because texas is sorta shaped like a gun??

I saw on tumblr the other day the reason SOT have the gun signal is because texas is sorta shaped like a gun??
nyagp4.png

Totally get where you're coming from OP. I interpreted it as defense, like a team is fighting for a victory. Although no weapons are actually used, it's almost like a sense of authority and strength. I could be totally off, but however it's interpreted, by no means are the teams related to guns trying to promote any harm. :)

The Fierce Board App!

I definitely didn't think they were promoting guns, I just found it weird that teams with names nothing to do with guns were using it.
It does go well with kick doubles which I suppose made it popular as well.

Back