All-Star Why Can't You Wear Nail Polish To Competitions?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

As far as I know (this only goes for Allstar, school is different) there is no rule that says you can't, most coaches don't like it because it looks sloppy. But there are teams that wear team polish, I think GBE is one of the more well known for this, but I can't find the photo now

if you pass out during a competition, get knocked out or something of that nature, to check if you are still conscious, an easy way is to look at your fingernails. i'm guessing that under it it will turn a different color when you are unconscious. so, it's a safety precaution. so i've heard

if you pass out during a competition, get knocked out or something of that nature, to check if you are still conscious, an easy way is to look at your fingernails. i'm guessing that under it it will turn a different color when you are unconscious. so, it's a safety precaution. so i've heard
Blue-ish nail beds will let the EMT know that your oxygen level is down. There was another discussion about this and several all-star cheerleaders said they are allowed to wear nail polish during comps - it starts around here
2012 Videos - V4 | Page 77 | Fierce Board - We Talk Cheerleading

I have also heard that besides the obvious appearance issues (entire team wearing same color, sloppy nails, etc), nail polish medically effects the pulse oximeters (the small machines you put on your finger that measure oxygen saturation) in case medical treatment is ever needed at a competition.

In rec competitions, you lose 1pt per girl. One team (of 20 girls) all decided to wear blue nail polish to match there uni. They got 20pts off. Sadly, if they didnt have the polish on, they wouldve come in first.
:banghead:

I honestly think that the rules were initially made solely for aesthetic reasons (crazy nail polish can be distracting) and any other reasons (ie being able to use pulse oximeters in the event of an emergency) were added after the fact and aren't really valid. I know that when I worked as an EMT we carried nail polish remover in our kits in the event that someone we needed to work on was wearing nail polish.

wow, never gave it much thought. That makes perfect sense!

What happens if the girl is wearing fake nails? I can think of a couple of teams that have girls with acrylic or gel nails on. What if the EMT needed to look at her nails?.. how would that work?

Back