All-Star Why Hold Back???

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 14, 2010
I have seen so many talented kids at both larger and small gyms held back to lower level teams.
The excuse I have heard for this is that the gym wants to have a strong level whatever team and I have also seen kids who are at the proper level not making teams due to advanced tumblers taking spots.
Has anyone else seen this?

I've seen it happen. One of my friends should honestly be on a level five team and a good one at that, but she's sticking with her gym. I feel that it's up to the athlete to be real with themselves and know where they are in their skill level. Now I'm not saying this to the girls who think they should be on level 5 but only have a so-so tuck though. It's up to you to ask your coaches why you were put on a lower level team and you need to make a decision on what to do. I would love to see her at worlds beasting it up, but I know she loves her gym and if that means staying down a level then so be it.

Define 'talented.' Are they on-level all-around? Meaning level x jumps/stunting/tumbling/dance? Do they WANT to be on a lower-level team with their friends? Held back, to me, implies that they have ALL the skills for a level up (NOT just level tumbling) but they are being 'forced' to stay down a level. Are they lacking in one aspect of a level, and therefore have something to be gained by staying 'down.' Could they be both junior/senior age in a gym with only a junior 2 and a senior 4, but don't have the maturity compared to the rest of the seniors? There are plenty of reasons to keep a person at a level that others may feel they've moved 'beyond.' Sometimes, at the gym there's only certain levels in certain ages and there's someone older who fits better in the higher level (something you would probably see at a small gym with only a select number of athletes/teams).

There are some gyms that will hold back kids but there could be reasons. For ex. just because a kid has a layout, are they really ready for level 4? Do they have a consistent standing back meaning can they can land it clean and properly at least 5 times in a row without eating mat. Are they a strong enough base/flyer to do level 4 stunting? How about jumps, can they easily do combo jumps to BHS tuck? Lastly, is this person mature enough to move up to a more difficult level or do they stress out alot during their level 3 practice. Most coaches take all of this plus some into consideration when placing athletes so I am sure it's not as easy as one might think. I wouldn't want to do it!!

The case im talking about is that the person has all the skills to level up and is consistent in their tumbling but the gym want to keep them at a certain level to continue to win.

I also think alot of athletes hold themselves back. Ive seen a girl working a full request to be on Senior 2 because thats where her friends were. Or at a gym where they only have a Level 3 or 4 and you have an amazing athlete who could be the star of a level 5 team. Alot of times athletes choose to level themselves down, not based on their skills but solely on the fact that they feel "more comfortable there"

The case im talking about is that the person has all the skills to level up and is consistent in their tumbling but the gym want to keep them at a certain level to continue to win.

It could be that they need that child on that team because they are needed in a specific spot. It must get harder to place the kids as their talent increases unless you are able to create another level 5.

Is it one of those deals where there are 22 really good level 4 kids, so you take the two "weakest" kids and move them to level 3 so your level 4 team's only 20? I know that happens at your gym, and it's right out front when you tryout so it's not a surprise - there's no guarantee even if you have the minimum skills that you'll make the team.

placing teams is a very complicated and difficult process. You have to look at skills and position and what level your teams would have the most success at. You also have to look at all of your teams not just the top level team and set up all of your teams to have a successful season.

You might have 26 kids that are ready for level 4 but 10 of those kids happen to be flyers, so then you have to either bring up some bases who aren't at that level yet or keep 5 of those flyers at level 3 and make that team that much stronger, which also moves some level 3 kids down to 2 and so on. That is just one of the many situations where kids with the skills of a certain level will make a team at the level below.

Is it that the gym wants to keep them on a lower level team to make that team stronger (stacking the deck) or that they simply don't have enough kids to make the higher level team? I don't think stacking the deck is fair, unless the kid just wants to be on two teams (J4 and SR5.) Maybe all her friends are still on J4 and haven't moved up yet. Or as @newcheerdad said, maybe the coaches only want a certain number on the team so the younger ones get moved down

Is it one of those deals where there are 22 really good level 4 kids, so you take the two "weakest" kids and move them to level 3 so your level 4 team's only 20? I know that happens at your gym, and it's right out front when you tryout so it's not a surprise - there's no guarantee even if you have the minimum skills that you'll make the team.

I'm sorry, I should have said our gym, not your gym. :)

Is it that the gym wants to keep them on a lower level team to make that team stronger (stacking the deck) or that they simply don't have enough kids to make the higher level team? I don't think stacking the deck is fair, unless the kid just wants to be on two teams (J4 and SR5.) Maybe all her friends are still on J4 and haven't moved up yet. Or as @newcheerdad said, maybe the coaches only want a certain number on the team so the younger ones get moved down

I think my point is that the more competitive the gym is, the more likely it is that athletes that may have the minimum skill set for a level don't make the level for the team. It happens at our gym, at all levels, and as I said above it's no great secret - we'll make a team small instead of adding two kids and being less competitive in medium or large.

So this athlete has a standing full, and a combo to a double in tumbling, a full around tic tok 720 and was put on a level 4 team??

So this athlete has a standing full, and a combo to a double in tumbling, a full around tic tok 720 and was put on a level 4 team??

do the rest of the flyers or back spots or whatever position she is have these skills too? Maybe its jumps, dance, motions, attitude? Sometimes there are just 21 girls who have the skills and only 20 spots available.

do the rest of the flyers or back spots or whatever position she is have these skills too? Maybe its jumps, dance, motions, attitude? Sometimes there are just 21 girls who have the skills and only 20 spots available.
I am not sure??? I was asking the original poster, but then after re-reading, she might not be talking about level 5 it was the second poster....

Back