All-Star Why...?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 22, 2013
Why would any all-star gym decline a bid to go to
worlds? Does anyone know why a gym would decline? I went to the website and it seems like each year there are a number of gyms that do decline the bid. Why wouldn't a gym accept it? Isn't that throwing away an opportunity of a lifetime?

do you mean at large bids or paid/partial paid bids? If they decline an at large bid it may be because they can't afford to go. Some gyms also don't allow the teams to go if they didn't earn a paid bid.

I think once you receive a bid, you can only replace three people you got your bid with. After that you can either chose not to go or make an attempt to petition athletes onto the team. So, this could be a reason to decline/pass down a bid.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

I know a couple of gyms that declined bids because they knew that they couldn't hang with the big dogs. They didn't want to spend that kind of money to come in 30th or worse.

Worlds is not necessarily the opportunity of a lifetime. There are many good things about it, but ultimately it is just a regular competition with a big title. As far as competitions go, there are good arguments to be made for other events that give you a much bigger bang for your buck.

While other ACE teams will attend with an at large bid, Warriors can only attend on a paid bid. So the only time they did not go was 2005 when they did not get a paid. It was a "snake bit" team with several unfortunate incidents. Probably one of the most talented Warrior teams I ever saw.

We had a res 5 team with multiple double and could have easily got a bid. But we also knew that we wouldn't make it out of day 1 so it wasn't worth the money for our parents or anything of travel. I know a lot of
Teams that cannot make the cost worth the competition

I think once you receive a bid, you can only replace three people you got your bid with. After that you can either chose not to go or make an attempt to petition athletes onto the team. So, this could be a reason to decline/pass down a bid.

The current rules are that you can subsitute 10 people. 7 that competed on the same day on the floor the bid was earned on and 3 that did not have to have competed that day.

I've never heard of this being the reason a team turns down a bid. Besides other reasons already stated, I have seen teams hand their bid down to allow another team to take it since the team is expecting to earn a Paid bid.

The current rules are that you can subsitute 10 people. 7 that competed on the same day on the floor the bid was earned on and 3 that did not have to have competed that day.

I've never heard of this being the reason a team turns down a bid. Besides other reasons already stated, I have seen teams hand their bid down to allow another team to take it since the team is expecting to earn a Paid bid.

Thank you for clarifying. For the sake of this thread I thought I'd mention this, since it is fairly unheard of.

T&S small coed Diamonds declined their bid that was received at Cheersport (the only team from twist and shout competing) after they were forced to replace more than the allotted 3.

Thank you for clarifying. For the sake of this thread I thought I'd mention this, since it is fairly unheard of.

T&S small coed Diamonds declined their bid that was received at Cheersport (the only team from twist and shout competing) after they were forced to replace more than the allotted 3.

That makes sense. Thanks

Back