Will I Ever Tumble?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 28, 2014
This is my 2nd year being an Allstar cheerleader. And i LOVE it. But i cant tumble. like at all. i dont know how to get over the fear of doing a simple back handspring. I have no money for privates. My parents dont support me cheering and im paying for it myself. my goal by next april is to have my back handspring and maybe even my bhs back tuck/layout . Any tips?

This is my 2nd year being an Allstar cheerleader. And i LOVE it. But i cant tumble. like at all. i dont know how to get over the fear of doing a simple back handspring. I have no money for privates. My parents dont support me cheering and im paying for it myself. my goal by next april is to have my back handspring and maybe even my bhs back tuck/layout . Any tips?
Honestly, privates never helped me ever. You can always go in early before practice, after practice, or other days to work on tumbling skills at your gym. I know when I was working on a full I could not get the concept on how you could twist and flip. So for me my own person technique was to watch video's of people SUCCESSFULLY complete the tumbling pass. (If you watch a fail version it will ruin your life). So by watching them you can see the body position and it motivates you to try it by seeing how easy it can be. It's awesome that you are cheering and support yourself. But set up a support system (of friends, teammates, coaches, whoever) who will also motivate you to push yourself. It's tough not having a support system but it's awesome that you're still making it all work.

well it's great that you're paying for cheer yourself. I agree that you should get a support system. Perhaps from other family members. Maybe your parents will come around when they see your dedication.

first off congrats for being so dedicated! i think you should be wary of having your hopes too high. its very unlikely you'll have a layout next year if you even get a tuck. its not impossible though!!

keep working! I recommend condition a lot at home, and stretch! its important to have a somewhat flexible back to do your BHS. the stronger you are, the easier it is going to be to get more skills! :) good luck!

The only thing stopping you is you. While I understand its hard that your parents won't support you, it has to be up to you. Even if you can't tumble 5x a week, you can do one thing, which will help you all around, so if you ever get the chance, you'll be ready. Condition! Strengthen your muscles, and do all you can to get your strongest.
Next, if you can, go to a trampoline place! The strips are similar to Tumble Traks (way flimsier, but whatever), and you can tumble on them! Even if you don't want to try a BHS on the trampoline yet, most places have foam pits, which you can try doing skills into. Be careful though, the pits there aren't meant for tumbling into, and aren't as deep. And, if you bring a friend who can tumble, and who wants to help, it's like a private lesson.
But conditioning is soooooo important. It's a sport, and you have to take it seriously. Nobody owes you anything. They won't be chasing you down the street, telling you to run. They don't have to. You need to do things for yourself, because it will help.
But--Make sure you pay attention to detail as well. It'd be terrible to get a skill then have to re-learn the technique.
Good luck!

Ohhhhhh and also, I just saw a new thread posted. It was titled "Paying Dues **Coaches and Parents**" if you look that up, there's some good info on a program that could help you pay for some lessons and stuff!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Back