Wondering If There Are Gyms That Have Owners Who Are Not Coaches?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Oct 23, 2012
I am looking into with a partner to open an all star cheer gym, we have been putting many things into place but as I constantly see every gym we talk to or have been a part of has 1-3 owners and at least one of them has been coaching for years. Then of course other owners of the remaining 3 are either coaches as well or just the "business" end of it. I am just wondering if there are successful gyms out there that just have head coaches but not as owner? I know it sounds crazy that two "cheer moms" want to open and run a gym, but we are thinking with the right staff or head coach on board it should work. We aren't clueless to the cheer world, we are very involved and have been team moms, and involved in fundraising ect... just not from a coaches position

My CPs gym is not coach owned. It is not strictly a cheer gym though, so I don't know if that makes a difference to you. Our owner does no coaching at all.. Although her daughters now do. I think sometimes having a chain of command and a different need to approve things can complicate things a bit, but I don't see it as a negative.

at my gym, we have 2 owners. Neither of them are coaches for specific teams, but one of them coaches the Wake Forest team, so she helps a lot when teams need it. The same was with our old owner; she did tumbling classes and tumbling privates, but didn't coach a team, just helped when needed. We have 5 coaches who each coach with another coach, and I think each coach 2 teams. (we have 8 teams)
Oh, but our owner that isn't the WFU coach does coach the special needs team, if that really applies.

The gym we where at last year was fairly successful a few years back when one owner was a coach and the other was not. They're now fully owned by one of the coaches and it wasn't very smooth last year. Heard form people that where their during the partner years that the none coach owner ran a tight ship and kept things in order. Even thou they didn't coach they still held the gym to a certain standard.

Having the right staff if you're not a coach yourself will make or break you. With any business be prepared to lose money your first two years. If you can make it that far with a talented staff you keep year after year then you should be good.

Back