All-Star Woodward Cheer Camp 2012!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Thank you cheermama for the details and everyone else for the tips!!! I drive CP 9 out for week 2 this weekend. This is her first camp without me with her, but she's outgoing and very mature for her age. so I know she'll be fine.

Should she pack a slingpack or small bag to carry her shoes and "theme" items from the cabin to the gym? I'm thinking if she has a bag then she's less likely to lose something or wear her cheer shoes all over camp.

She has been bouncing off the walls since we decided to send her. She's excited about having so much tumbling time and is looking forward to meeting new girls who love cheer as much as she does! Feel free to message me if you are going week 2 also.
yes pack a small bag to bring to the gym! they have a wall of cubbys to keep your stuff in & you don't want to just leave it out in one of them so a bag is good! i've used a cross body spirit cheer bag & drawstring bag before & both worked fine. it held my water bottle, deodorant, extra hair ties, sweatshirt if it was cold in the AM, & my flip flops/cheer sneakers when i wasn't wearing the other!

Just wanted to give y'all an update about Woodward. CP and I started our venture from Texas to Woodward on Saturday morning. We drove 4+ hours to the Houston airport....on the way, our windshield was smashed when it was hit with a golf ball (while we were driving at 70mph)...but we kept going because stopping and not making the flight was not an option. :banghead: Anywhoo, we flew into Philadelphia which is about a 4 drive from woodward, so we drove 3.5 hours to college station and spent the night. It was quick 30 minute drive to Camp Woodward. I would recommend flying into Harrisburg or college station as it is a much shorter drive.

On the morning drive to Woodward, CP was so excited she could hardly stand it!! We got to the entrance and it the first impression of the location was amazing! It's definitely the coolest camp I've ever seen. We were greeted at the gate by 3 teenage girls (most likely cheerleaders) who were SUPER sweet and very helpful. We then went into the "Barn Gym" for registration. Cool doesn't even begin to describe it. The rock wall in the back, music blaring....just an overall feeling of awesomeness! We walked by all of the activity sign ups on the way to the actual registration. There was no one at any of the stands...EXCEPT for the horseback riding stand where there were three (very nice) people who were really hard selling the horseback experience. We had already decided against it based on feedback from this board, but even had I not already known about it, I would have passed on it. It seemed way too salesy and contrived to be something that we would sign up for. And honestly, CP just wanted to get to the cheer gym anyway!!

Because CP is 9, she was assigned to the "mini cabin". Even in week one, it was almost full. There were girls from all over the country, some who came solo, some who came with a group and some who came with 1 or 2 friends. Shanan, the mini-mom was awesome!! SHe was super sweet and very helpful. CP felt comfortable immediately....so she picked her bunk (top of a 3 tiered bunk). I took y'alls advice and packed everything in ziplock bags. While I think it may have been a bit overboard, CP really liked it and it will help prevent the suitcase chaos that would have happened with regular packing. They do have a laundry service. It is a 24-48 hour turnaround. It is $1.95 per pound and they will wash/fold and bring the clothes back to CP's cabin. I am only going to have them wash her theme day stuff as those are the only things she will need to wear a second time.

I'm really glad we knew about the theme days. We made shirts and put together outfits for each day. We made shirts that used song titles that we changed into appropriate theme slogans...

Day 1 - nerd day - Front of shirt: I'm Nerdy Back of Shirt: And I know it. (play on song "I'm sexy and I know it"

Day 2 - Neon - no need to make anything....plenty of neon to go around

Day 3 - Hawaiian Day - Ironed on front of shirt - "Rockin the Aloha" ) play on song - rockin the beer gut)

Day 4 - Skill day, shirt with skill you are trying to get - Front of shirt - "Gotta get that" Back of shirt - FULL FULL FULL. Play on BOOM BOOM POW

Day 5 favorite all star team. Her gym of course, so that was easy.

So we unpacked, made up her bed and set out to check the place out. There is SOOOO much to do!! Gyms, games, a pool, a mechanical bull in a bouncy thing, scheduled parties, food, you name it, it was there. There also seemed to be a great blend of kids, counselors, parents, adults, etc. Everyone had a GREAT attitude. They even have a "homesick" team which is two totally awesome gals who will give your CP a little extra TLC if she is missing home. All the girls in the cabin had a phone or an ipad....so I felt better and knew that I wouldn't be completely disconnected from my CP for two weeks.

Anywhoo...everything seemed VERY organized. The cheer campers did testing at 2pm (I had already left by then to fly back). Each CP does their best pass in front of everyone and then gets a slip of paper to give to their coach so that they are all grouped according to skill. My CP threw a front punch step out round off back handspring layout. She was really excited when she saw her paper cuz the only skills above hers were full and double full....and she is there to get her full (hell bent on it actually). I spoke with her after testing and she said that all the girls in her cabin at least had a back handspring, some had tucks and a couple had layouts, so it seemed like an AWESOME mix of campers!!!

So as I said goodbye to my CP (who was ready for mom to leave at that point), I held back my tears, hugged her till she almost popped, waved goodbye and got in the car and sobbed like a baby. Not because I was worried....but because I was not going to see that awesome little girl for 2 whole weeks. But as I drove away, I knew that Disneyland had nothin on Woodward at that very moment....because to my CP, she was at the best place on earth!!!!! :cheering: :cheering:
You win the mom of the year award!!!

also dont forget the little gifts to leave the room inspectors for bribary....gets the kids extra points for the cleanest cabin and if they win they get a pizza party.... great things are gum, un meltable candy, cards, home made drawings and notes, chips, possibly costume jewelry little chachi things to be left in the cabin each day!!

Anyone have a 7-9 year old going Week 8, or know who the mini mom is? Would love to connect in advance.

Thank you cheermama for the details and everyone else for the tips!!! I drive CP 9 out for week 2 this weekend. This is her first camp without me with her, but she's outgoing and very mature for her age. so I know she'll be fine.

Should she pack a slingpack or small bag to carry her shoes and "theme" items from the cabin to the gym? I'm thinking if she has a bag then she's less likely to lose something or wear her cheer shoes all over camp.

She has been bouncing off the walls since we decided to send her. She's excited about having so much tumbling time and is looking forward to meeting new girls who love cheer as much as she does! Feel free to message me if you are going week 2 also.

Yeah!!! She'll be in the cabin with my CP!!! I think they wear their theme clothes to the gym, but she will need the sling back for sweats, a water bottle, shoes, phone, etc. My biggest surprise was how cooooooooooooold it was. it got down to 43 the night we arrived. It was cold and windy on SUnday and by the time I left PA it was only 72 degrees. I heard a lot of people say that it was unseasonably cold weather. They also said the pool was 85 degrees....so it must have a heater!!! It sounds like they swim daily, so pack more than one swim suit so your CP doesn't have to put on a wet one.

There were 15 kids in my CP's cabin, all of whom were 8-9. There were a few gymnasts, but most were there for cheer. CP said today that they had their mandatory practice for 3.5 hours and she didn't go to the open gym right after but she was going to go to the one in the evenings. I'm cool with that....5.5 hours of tumbling a day is plenty for camp. SHe also said the coaches were awesome.....REALLY big on form and technical things....which sometimes can get looked over at cheer practice back home. Oh, and she was going bungee jumping for the second time today.....I figured it was best not to ask too much about that one.....what I don't know can't hurt me right???

Oh, do make sure to pack the white t-shirts for tie dye day as people have suggested on this board. I sent her with a 5 pack of boys white tank tops so she could share with her friends. I bought 5 shirts for 7 bucks and if they buy the t-shirts in the pro shop they are 6 bucks a pop. Only reason I mentioned it is that CP brought up that they are tie dying on Thursday....which I thought odd that she was already talking about it with everything else going on. It must be a fun event?!?!? ANywhoo...glad I packed the tanks!

That's my update for now. I will let y'all know if CP gives me anything else I can convey to you to help. I was just glad to get the 4 minutes on the phone with her.....she was clearly having a blast and talking to mom was not the priority. :eek: I guess I should be grateful for that.....but I wish she would just stay my little girl for a little bit longer. Have a great evening....or as CP said this afternoon....BUH BYE!! :rolleyes:

Yeah!!! She'll be in the cabin with my CP!!! I think they wear their theme clothes to the gym, but she will need the sling back for sweats, a water bottle, shoes, phone, etc. My biggest surprise was how cooooooooooooold it was. it got down to 43 the night we arrived. It was cold and windy on SUnday and by the time I left PA it was only 72 degrees. I heard a lot of people say that it was unseasonably cold weather. They also said the pool was 85 degrees....so it must have a heater!!! It sounds like they swim daily, so pack more than one swim suit so your CP doesn't have to put on a wet one.

There were 15 kids in my CP's cabin, all of whom were 8-9. There were a few gymnasts, but most were there for cheer. CP said today that they had their mandatory practice for 3.5 hours and she didn't go to the open gym right after but she was going to go to the one in the evenings. I'm cool with that....5.5 hours of tumbling a day is plenty for camp. SHe also said the coaches were awesome.....REALLY big on form and technical things....which sometimes can get looked over at cheer practice back home. Oh, and she was going bungee jumping for the second time today.....I figured it was best not to ask too much about that one.....what I don't know can't hurt me right???

Oh, do make sure to pack the white t-shirts for tie dye day as people have suggested on this board. I sent her with a 5 pack of boys white tank tops so she could share with her friends. I bought 5 shirts for 7 bucks and if they buy the t-shirts in the pro shop they are 6 bucks a pop. Only reason I mentioned it is that CP brought up that they are tie dying on Thursday....which I thought odd that she was already talking about it with everything else going on. It must be a fun event?!?!? ANywhoo...glad I packed the tanks!

That's my update for now. I will let y'all know if CP gives me anything else I can convey to you to help. I was just glad to get the 4 minutes on the phone with her.....she was clearly having a blast and talking to mom was not the priority. :eek: I guess I should be grateful for that.....but I wish she would just stay my little girl for a little bit longer. Have a great evening....or as CP said this afternoon....BUH BYE!! :rolleyes:
So glad your daughter is having a good time! Just wanted to put your mind at ease it's bungee tramp, not bungee jumping. They put her in a belt with bungees which makes them bounce higher on the trampoline while being strapped in. No jumping off of buildings here!

So glad your daughter is having a good time! Just wanted to put your mind at ease it's bungee tramp, not bungee jumping. They put her in a belt with bungees which makes them bounce higher on the trampoline while being strapped in. No jumping off of buildings here!

Ha Ha!! I figured that I would have had to sign some HUGE waiver for that!! :jawdrop:

CP is having a blast!! She said the coaches ROCK and she was working on her Full today at open gym. Hope y'all have your sun glasses on....isn't today neon day??

cheermama so happy to hear your CP is having a blast!! My little has always wanted to go but with team obligations in June and Aug (and, honestly the cost) it just hasn't happened. But, it sounds right up her alley. Maybe I'll start saving now for next year. LOL

Keep the stories coming!

If anyone is going in June and meets Jessica the trainer, let me know! She's my best friend! She would love to meet any of yall. She's interning there for the month of June.

Week #1 of Woodward in the history books. CP had a great time!! She is really looking forward to this week cuz she knows the routine and is comfortable at camp. I'm really glad we decided to send her for 2 weeks. We were doubting that decision during week one as we definitely had some hiccups. She seems much more comfortable and confident which will help her in the gym during week 2. Week 1 was awesome for her and she had a ton of fun!! While we wanted her to have a great time, we also sent her half way across creation because we had heard that she would get great instruction at Woodward and thought it a great place to get her full. Week #1 they had working to get the pike out of her layout....which she said is gone and got to work on her full yesterday. So she gets to start this week knowing all about camp, they gym, the "system", etc. So she can still have fun, but since it's not all new, she can focus on getting that full. :cheering:

There's been rumblings at our gym this past week that they might put together a y5 restricted to send to the jr. olympics at the end of July. A bunch of kids on CP's Y4 team got their fulls during twister camp so we just might have enough to field a jr. O team. Kinda CRAZY! I told CP to have fun now cuz if there is a jr. O team when she gets home it is going to be an intense 7 weeks.

Oh....and the most important thing.....CP FINALLY said to me this morning....."I really miss you mommy!" Somehow hearing your little girl say "mommy" when she's (what feels like) a MILLION miles away makes your heart swell and your eyes water. I sure do love that little CP....

My sisters going this week!:) (week 2) she's only 14 and she went alone because I have to work and I'm taking summer school. Anyways can you guys introduce yourself to her she's really lonely and I kind of worry about her.

Her names Sydney, from ice in cabin 14c. She has a ton of bows that I made for her to trade with people to help her meet people.(shes super shy until she knows about you)Anyone going this week find her because I dont think she knows anyone. Thanks:)

My sisters going this week!:) (week 2) she's only 14 and she went alone because I have to work and I'm taking summer school. Anyways can you guys introduce yourself to her she's really lonely and I kind of worry about her.

Her names Sydney, from ice in cabin 14c. She has a ton of bows that I made for her to trade with people to help her meet people.(shes super shy until she knows about you)Anyone going this week find her because I dont think she knows anyone. Thanks:)

I think tae is there this week so syd will know her.

Week #1 of Woodward in the history books. CP had a great time!! She is really looking forward to this week cuz she knows the routine and is comfortable at camp. I'm really glad we decided to send her for 2 weeks. We were doubting that decision during week one as we definitely had some hiccups. She seems much more comfortable and confident which will help her in the gym during week 2. Week 1 was awesome for her and she had a ton of fun!! While we wanted her to have a great time, we also sent her half way across creation because we had heard that she would get great instruction at Woodward and thought it a great place to get her full. Week #1 they had working to get the pike out of her layout....which she said is gone and got to work on her full yesterday. So she gets to start this week knowing all about camp, they gym, the "system", etc. So she can still have fun, but since it's not all new, she can focus on getting that full. :cheering:

There's been rumblings at our gym this past week that they might put together a y5 restricted to send to the jr. olympics at the end of July. A bunch of kids on CP's Y4 team got their fulls during twister camp so we just might have enough to field a jr. O team. Kinda CRAZY! I told CP to have fun now cuz if there is a jr. O team when she gets home it is going to be an intense 7 weeks.

Oh....and the most important thing.....CP FINALLY said to me this morning....."I really miss you mommy!" Somehow hearing your little girl say "mommy" when she's (what feels like) a MILLION miles away makes your heart swell and your eyes water. I sure do love that little CP....

My 13 yr old Granddaughter just came home from her first visit to Camp Woodward Week #1 also. She may be going back this year again since she was TAPPED to come back for week 12.
She had a blast, made new friends and is all hyped up about going next year for two weeks. We are from Florida and the airfare plus the week's tuition was a little steep but worth it.

Two gymmates (ages 9 and 12) and two of her coaches from AMPED ELITE ALLSTARS were there also and one coach was asked to put on a tumbling demo for the Camp. WAY TO GO, SHANNON!

It took her a day or two to get the routine down, but she got it. Although she did work on her goals, she was a little afraid of throwing her full because the coaches there evidently spot her differently than at her gym(?). They were awesome and by the end of the week she had more confidence in them. She loved the foam pit. She did other activities like horseback riding, go carts, etc.

If she wants to go back week 12, she will have to earn some of the money to do so. Her parents and I will match what she makes.
Overall, great experience.

Back