All-Star Words Of Advice For Gym Party Reveal

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

That sucks. There's such a huge difference between Tiny and anything else. Fingers crossed you can find something for CP that she'll love too

This was the one age change I had an issue with. Almost every Tiny team I see at competitions is so very basic and with a range of ages as low as 3, I can't imagine how boring and frustrating practices must be to a 6 year old. I really don't blame your CP for being upset and not wanting to cheer. At age 6, they are old enough to "get it" and see what the older kids are doing and want to do the same thing. They don't need 12 second 8-counts and a coach sitting in front of them doing every move with them. Most mini routines have the same flow as the older divisions, but Tiny teams rarely do.

I have been trying to write what you said for a few days and you have summed it up and especially as the OP's cp will be 7 it wouldn't be fun not to be challenged

Is it all done in Orlando? We're driving distance.
For AYF/AYC yes. I think Pop Warner has Nationals at WWOS the first weekend in December also. But I know nothing else about that organization. It's worth looking into for her. [emoji4]

For AYF/AYC yes. I think Pop Warner has Nationals at WWOS the first weekend in December also. But I know nothing else about that organization. It's worth looking into for her. [emoji4]

All I know about Pop Warner people is they are in Orlando on Black Friday. Took my Black Friday shopping partner from me when her kid went the Pop Warner route.

Yes I think it was those numbers, but 400 is still a lot lol to me. I think the coaches give those calls?
32295110823a5765b754f170b01edb9d.jpg

The coaches make the calls. Any questions or concerns can be addressed up front and in private.
I am also curious about what prompted the tiny age change. Of all the things the USASF could have addressed why was this even a thing?
@SL&AM I hope you and your CP find some solution that makes her excited about cheer again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is why I'm so conflicted about US allstar cheer. In Sweden, you can't compete until you're 10. And the age divisions are(a bit altered for this season) : minimini 8-11, mini: 10-13, junior: 12-16, senior: 15+(no upper age restriction.). And the cut-off date is dec 31 for the upcoming year, so 2016 for the teams starting this fall. So there's no question, and no possible disappointment until you're 10, which I feel is a better age than 5-7. Although I like the cut off date in the us, because if I lived there i would be able to super super senior, but it is really troublesome for kids like your CP. She is actually the age of mini, but has a different cheer-age, which makes her older than all the girls, and I can 100% understand that that isn't fun at all. I totally understand her, and your feelings, and I wish you all the best for the upcoming season!

This is why I'm so conflicted about US allstar cheer. In Sweden, you can't compete until you're 10. And the age divisions are(a bit altered for this season) : minimini 8-11, mini: 10-13, junior: 12-16, senior: 15+(no upper age restriction.). And the cut-off date is dec 31 for the upcoming year, so 2016 for the teams starting this fall. So there's no question, and no possible disappointment until you're 10, which I feel is a better age than 5-7. Although I like the cut off date in the us, because if I lived there i would be able to super super senior, but it is really troublesome for kids like your CP. She is actually the age of mini, but has a different cheer-age, which makes her older than all the girls, and I can 100% understand that that isn't fun at all. I totally understand her, and your feelings, and I wish you all the best for the upcoming season!

Totally random, but that date reminds me of the Canadian school system. We have a few friends who were sending their 4 turning 5 year olds to Kindergarten while mine had to wait 2 full years to start Kindergarten because of her birthday. I'm pretty sure we're we are now has the August 31st birthdate, but where we moved from was August 1st.

I keep reminding myself that if she stays with cheer and grows up with cheer, she'll be thankful for her birthday because she can super senior (assuming they don't change it from August 31st)...but for the here and now, that isn't going to help her.

She laid her clothes out for school and then laid a practice outfit out next to it, I didn't ask her if that meant she was going, but DH did (I've been trying my hardest to keep my mouth shut because I don't want to sway her any which way, but we sat down after school and talked about Rec cheer, Pop Warner, tumbling classes, gymnastics, and I even offered up AS dance) and she avoided the question with a shrug. Guess tomorrow will tell. I have a feeling if she gets to practice and is able to see people she recognizes, it'll help and the only reason why I'm thankful practices are starting immediately. There is no time to linger and stress at least.

I am swedish but have trouble understanding this.. ill give an example. My sister is 12 turning 13 this year. Would she still be able to do mini this upcoming year or would she be a junior? and if you turn 14 this year would you be able to compete seniors? If you dont want to answer it here just DM me.

I am swedish but have trouble understanding this.. ill give an example. My sister is 12 turning 13 this year. Would she still be able to do mini this upcoming year or would she be a junior? and if you turn 14 this year would you be able to compete seniors? If you dont want to answer it here just DM me.

If she's turning 13 in 2015 she has to compete junior for 15/16, as she turns 14 in 2016, unless her gym doesn't have a competitive junior team, in that case she could apply for an exemption(dispens) and compete mini. If you turn 14 2015, so 15 in 2016, you can choose between junior or senior, as the two overlaps (junior >16 senior <15). Also, as long as you hit junior age(12), you can freely compete in senior divisions, except for level 6 and group stunt, where you have to be the right age. It's a bit complicated haha! If you need more clarification, or need it in swedish feel free to dm me. :)

Totally random, but that date reminds me of the Canadian school system. We have a few friends who were sending their 4 turning 5 year olds to Kindergarten while mine had to wait 2 full years to start Kindergarten because of her birthday. I'm pretty sure we're we are now has the August 31st birthdate, but where we moved from was August 1st.

I keep reminding myself that if she stays with cheer and grows up with cheer, she'll be thankful for her birthday because she can super senior (assuming they don't change it from August 31st)...but for the here and now, that isn't going to help her.

She laid her clothes out for school and then laid a practice outfit out next to it, I didn't ask her if that meant she was going, but DH did (I've been trying my hardest to keep my mouth shut because I don't want to sway her any which way, but we sat down after school and talked about Rec cheer, Pop Warner, tumbling classes, gymnastics, and I even offered up AS dance) and she avoided the question with a shrug. Guess tomorrow will tell. I have a feeling if she gets to practice and is able to see people she recognizes, it'll help and the only reason why I'm thankful practices are starting immediately. There is no time to linger and stress at least.

Yeah that's how the school is here to, anyone born in say 2009 so turning 6 this year, will start school this fall, no matter if they turned 6 on january 1st or december 31st. Though if you're born early/late you get to choose to start a year early/late haha. :)

My heart breaks for her, as you said she might be happy with it later, but that's another 11 years away so it's hard to see that now. I do hope she does stay though, and that this season turns out to be better than she expects! Do you know if they are competing yet, or just exhibition? I would imagine that would be even worse.. Ugh!

Yeah that's how the school is here to, anyone born in say 2009 so turning 6 this year, will start school this fall, no matter if they turned 6 on january 1st or december 31st. Though if you're born early/late you get to choose to start a year early/late haha. :)

My heart breaks for her, as you said she might be happy with it later, but that's another 11 years away so it's hard to see that now. I do hope she does stay though, and that this season turns out to be better than she expects! Do you know if they are competing yet, or just exhibition? I would imagine that would be even worse.. Ugh!

I'm going to ask tonight.

I have been following your thread and I feel terrible for your CP. Last year CP switched from gymnastics to cheer in September. Because of her age (7) and because she had no cheer experience, she was automatically put on a Mini team. Her gym was unable to field a tiny team, so the mini team had ages from 4-9. The first couple of months were a challenge for CP while she got the hang of stunting and working with a team, but after that she became bored and frustrated. So I started her in weekly stunting and tumbling private lessons, in addition to a tumbling class. The extra lessons were a great outlet for her and really changed her attitude toward being on the mini team. Perhaps this is an option for your CP? On the bright side, maybe it will be an "older" tiny team with more 6 and 7 year olds so they will be able to do a more complex routine.

This year, CP's gym seemed pretty adamant about placing the lower level kids by age. There is no mini 2 team at her gym so I was worried CP would be on the mini 1 team again this year. I prepared CP for the possibility of being on minis again, but I know she would have been really upset if she was. Luckily, she was placed on the Y2.

I hope everything works out for your CP!

I have been following your thread and I feel terrible for your CP. Last year CP switched from gymnastics to cheer in September. Because of her age (7) and because she had no cheer experience, she was automatically put on a Mini team. Her gym was unable to field a tiny team, so the mini team had ages from 4-9. The first couple of months were a challenge for CP while she got the hang of stunting and working with a team, but after that she became bored and frustrated. So I started her in weekly stunting and tumbling private lessons, in addition to a tumbling class. The extra lessons were a great outlet for her and really changed her attitude toward being on the mini team. Perhaps this is an option for your CP? On the bright side, maybe it will be an "older" tiny team with more 6 and 7 year olds so they will be able to do a more complex routine.

This year, CP's gym seemed pretty adamant about placing the lower level kids by age. There is no mini 2 team at her gym so I was worried CP would be on the mini 1 team again this year. I prepared CP for the possibility of being on minis again, but I know she would have been really upset if she was. Luckily, she was placed on the Y2.

I hope everything works out for your CP!

Thanks so much for the kind words.

The time to leave for practice has come and gone and I'm now trying to figure out how to word her 'I quit' letter without sounding like an SM. She came home from school today, took one look at her practice wear and started bawling. At this point, it's just not worth it and I've now turned to actively telling her that it's okay to not do this this year. It basically broke down to the fact that she no longer believes she's good enough to cheer, which kills me because I know she was placed by age, I've tried telling her she was placed by age and showing her where athletes were placed by age on the meeting paperwork, but she isn't really getting that right now or doesn't believe it. Either way, this season is ruined for her before it even began and my heart feels like it's bleeding.

Thanks so much for the kind words.

The time to leave for practice has come and gone and I'm now trying to figure out how to word her 'I quit' letter without sounding like an SM. She came home from school today, took one look at her practice wear and started bawling. At this point, it's just not worth it and I've now turned to actively telling her that it's okay to not do this this year. It basically broke down to the fact that she no longer believes she's good enough to cheer, which kills me because I know she was placed by age, I've tried telling her she was placed by age and showing her where athletes were placed by age on the meeting paperwork, but she isn't really getting that right now or doesn't believe it. Either way, this season is ruined for her before it even began and my heart feels like it's bleeding.

I think if you tell them the jist of what you told us they will understand. And maybe they'd even take into consideration of moving of moving her up an age bracket if they knew how this has happened.

Eta: I don't think your story sounds anything like a SM story. I think they will understand completely if you give them the full story of how her age holds her back, she isn't being challenged, and she is ready for something more which is why she is frustrated by having to spend another year doing tinys. Personally I would add how she was hoping for youth so she could be challenged and learn something new. Maybe they will get the hint and find a place for her on an older team or just give her an option that isn't just tinys.

Last edited:
Back