All-Star Words Of Advice For Gym Party Reveal

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I think I read on another thread about some parents going to a private place at the gym if they were concerned about placement. They would then have a quiet moment but hopefully could then return composed.

I hate this idea. I would be devastated to not make the team I wanted, and I don't need other people at the gym seeing that. Just let me ugly cry in peace at home and then show up to a new team ready to go. But seeing kids not being happy to be on a different team just makes that team feel like this kid doesn't want to be there. It just seems like a bad idea all around

I would really hope that these gyms that have the big reveal parties are framiliar enough w/ their athletes expectations and goals to know whether or not there will be any serious disappointment w/ the tryout results for certain kids - and perhaps have private discussions w/ those families ahead of time. If not, they are just setting themselves up for a lot of drama IMO. As a parent, my child/my being upset w/ her placement would be one thing, but delivering the news to her in an massive group setting marketed as a "party" would probably make me even more upset - especially if my child had some form of breakdown or had to watch others celebrating while she was disappointed. I know disappointment is a part of life, but having to come to a group party to get bad news is taking it a little far.

Last edited:
I've also heard of gym giving a time and date for a first practice and not announcing the division/level the team is until people are there. Helps with the automatic quitters, because it's a lot harder to walk away when you're there in front of coaches and seeing/connecting with other teammates.

So maybe this is a spin on that, without actually having the practice. Maybe the gym is hoping cheerleaders will immediately see and connect with their teammates and coaches, cutting down on the initial disappointment. I'm still not a big fan of it, I think everyone need a little bit of personal time to celebrate or process and get over it.

This is what we do. We give the team name, and the practice schedule. Most kids have an idea of where they will be placed because we practice in colors for the month of May and we warn kids who are on the bubble that they could drop off. We have a few new teams each year because of growth/new divisions/levels so unless it's a team we've had before the kids don't know until the first practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We were just discussing public reveals over in the HS forum.

I'm telling you guys, someone is going to end up catching an assault charge at one of these things.

Just call me Nostradamus.
Does anyone remember the high school coach that was tased walking to her car by an angry parent who's kid didn't make the team? My mom sent it to me freaking out that year telling me to be extra safe! ha.

Does anyone remember the high school coach that was tased walking to her car by an angry parent who's kid didn't make the team? My mom sent it to me freaking out that year telling me to be extra safe! ha.

I think that happened when I was in HS: I remember hearing something crazy about that story a long time ago.

I always wondered, the gyms that do these great public reveal parties, etc... makes it mandatory for all the athletes to be in attendance? Is it possible to ask not to have your team revealed in public?
These "parties" are super awkward. For children and parents. Also for people new to the program. Meeting people for the first time when an athlete or parent is handling disappointment can set a bad tone for the whole season.
Further awkward when athlete gets to the first practice and realizes others have already quit or joined another gym from the five they tried out for. More drama.
Gyms, please let athletes know privately and have a much more fun party later.

What state? And was she a cheer coach?

I guess, Oklahoma is trying to steal the cheerleading title for being "Cuckoo for Coco Pops" from Texas...But don't worry Texas, a Mom plotting to pay someone to kill another Mom, so her daughter would not try out, still trump the taser Mom and Coach...But what is wrong with these people, it is just CHEERLEADING!

Back