All-Star Worlds Bid Money

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

We would need the full back story from both sides in order to you what is fair. Did the athlete owe other money to the gym? Did the athlete quit before or after Worlds? Things like that.

I agree that maybe you can see if that money can be transferred into a friend's account, but let's face it, if they're not willing to give you your refund, who's to say that they will be willing to work this out this way. Another thing is that you were upfront and willing to pay your fees once you had your partial paid bid, it only seems fair for them to refund your money that is legitimately owed to you if they are a gym with good morals and wish to have their reputation remain a good one, so it would be to their benefit to refund the funds that are due to you. That money was earned by your CP all during the season by her hard work at practices and the competitons to get that full paid bid, so you deserve that refund; a full paid bid is not easy to come by!!! I think I would not let this issue go!!

Like BlueCat said there is a lot about this situation we don't know so no one can claim wrong doing by either side.

The USAF does not pay bid money out, the Event Producer does. Each Event Producer has different methods to pay the money, make travel arrangements, etc. This is a relationship/agreement between the gym and the EP and depends on the circumstances where the bid was recieved.

The gym has a set of policies parents and athletes agree upon when they pay their tuition and fees. We don't know what policies are in place for the use of any bid money earned, return of overpaid money, how to handle booster funds, etc.

Finally, everyone needs to understand the kids don't earn bids as individuals. Teams trained by programs earn bids. Of course the kids are central to that, but if my CP was with a team that earned a bid, then left the team before worlds, she doesn't get to take the money with her. It stays with the 20/30/36 kids plus 2 coaches who will actually go to represent that program at Worlds. (so long as the changed roster meets the substitution rules)

I don't think your friend can claim she should get any bid money back. . .what she may have a grievance for is if she overpaid Worlds travel expenses based on bid money the gym received and is entitled to a refund. It doesn't matter where the gym chose to place the excess money.

Everyone keeps talking about the kid leaving the team before Worlds. I don't read it like that.

Gym got partial bid.

Gym makes reservations.

Parents pay difference between partial bid and total amount required.

Gym gets full bid.

Gym receives additional money. Since total trip is paid, gym deposits additional amount into each athletes booster account.

Team competes at Worlds.

Season ends and athlete is leaving (for whatever reason).

Parents want extra money that they paid refunded.

Acedad is exactly correct. It is not my child, it is my friend's child. From what I know the CP went thru the tryout process but the gym has not yet finalized the teams. My friend decided to leave the gym. However, in the meantime, the first gym had everyone sign a financial agreement that was effective BEFORE tryouts were over - something I would not have signed as that is a huge red flag in my opinion. Anyway, she had money in her booster account, part of which was from the World's bid and I believe the remainder was from fundraising.

My friend wants her booster money (or at least the bid portion of it) and gym wants entire year's tuition plus a "buyout" amount. The idea of transferring the funds to another person is a great idea, but I tried that last year when I left the same gym and they absolutely would not do that.

Acedad is exactly correct. It is not my child, it is my friend's child. From what I know the CP went thru the tryout process but the gym has not yet finalized the teams. My friend decided to leave the gym. However, in the meantime, the first gym had everyone sign a financial agreement that was effective BEFORE tryouts were over - something I would not have signed as that is a huge red flag in my opinion. Anyway, she had money in her booster account, part of which was from the World's bid and I believe the remainder was from fundraising.

My friend wants her booster money (or at least the bid portion of it) and gym wants entire year's tuition plus a "buyout" amount. The idea of transferring the funds to another person is a great idea, but I tried that last year when I left the same gym and they absolutely would not do that.

So, from the gym's perspective, they owe an entire year's tuition? Am I reading that correctly?

Again, trying to get the whole story.

Yes, from the gym's perspective they owe and entire year tuition plus a "buyout" fee.

Yes, from the gym's perspective they owe and entire year tuition plus a "buyout" fee.

That kind of detail can make a difference to the way the situation is perceived. If the family owes the gym a large amount of money, I can see why a gym owner is hesitant to write them a check.

Not saying who is "right" in the situation, but it makes more sense now.

That kind of detail can make a difference to the way the situation is perceived. If the family owes the gym a large amount of money, I can see why a gym owner is hesitant to write them a check.

Not saying who is "right" in the situation, but it makes more sense now.
I don't know about that. If it's money they owe because they didn't pay all last year then I'm on the gyms side. But, I saw some parent packets online from various places that have a penalty for leaving equivalent to paying out the rest of the year's tuition AND a penalty of $2K for leaving the gym (Which reminds me of a seinfeld episode). I'd never join a place like that, it tells me its all about the money and they're trying to force people to stay after they've started there. Seems shady to me.

Booster clubs that run as non-profits have certain, very specific guidelines that they must follow or they can and will lose their tax free status. I don't know about this situation but it is possible that they are not able to give a simple refund due to those restrictions. One solution could have been to present receipts for the seasons travel etc to be compensated out of the overage. But once a person has left a program most clubs rules say excess booster club amounts are forfeited.

Back