All-Star Worlds Bow Copyright Issues?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 26, 2010
Help! I see from last year that people were not allowed to make or sell Worlds bows/t-shirts with certain words and images on them. My mom wants to make some bows for my team travelling to Worlds this year. She always makes us team bows as gifts, with no payment. Does anyone know if this would be included in the copyright rules? They would probably say 'Worlds 2014' and maybe the Disney Mickey ears or a castle image on them. I've looked everywhere I can think of, but haven't been able to find the answer - or even an email address of someone at USASF that could help me. Thanks!

Last edited:
I'm no legal expert. But what I know from another hobby where lots of companies go after people for copyright infringement: as long as you don't make money using the copyrighted stuff it is okay. But the second someones makes money off it it is illegal. Disney is very strict though so I wouldn't count on them going by that rule.
Your further research should go in that direction. And since it is Disney-stuff I would look up their legal department and e-mail them. They are the ones who can answer the copyright question for Disney.
I just googled Disney copyright infringement and found tons of information so you might find your answer there.

Ahhhh… good idea. Thanks Emily, I'll contact Disney for that part of it :)

Help! I see from last year that people were not allowed to make or sell Worlds bows/t-shirts with certain words and images on them. My mom wants to make some bows for my team travelling to Worlds this year. She always makes us team bows as gifts, with no payment. Does anyone know if this would be included in the copyright rules? They would probably say 'Worlds 2014' and maybe the Disney Mickey ears or a castle image on them. I've looked everywhere I can think of, but haven't been able to find the answer - or even an email address of someone at USASF that could help me. Thanks!
We had team bows for the Summit with Summit logo and Mickey ears... I heard that you couldn't make a profit and/or sell at the actual WORLDS competition or Summit. I saw many many teams with the bows, so i wouldn't sweat it. The pic of my daughter to the left is the actual bow she wore to the Summit, if you look close you can see the Mickey head.

I don't know the exact rule but I do remember a few years ago when a lot of teams' worlds shirts had various disney characters in their uniforms. I remember them getting in trouble.

I've thought about this. The same thing might happen to vendors that make "Big Bows and Nike Pros" bows with the Nike swoosh, Starbucks bows, pro sports team bows, etc. (well, maybe not the last few; I don't think our industry is THAT big. I mean, it took over 20 years for the RIAA to find out about cheer music haha).

I just wore a Tshirt to college nationals with Cinderellas castle on the back and an eagle instead of tinkerbell flying off of it. No one said anything to us and we all had them on for practice there. I think it will be fine. Our bow also had Mickey ears on it.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I actually think it was more of a USASF/Varsity thing than a Disney thing. I had some iron ons on etsy with Worlds and Mickey ears and got a letter form Varsity... Nothing from Disney. Disney sells cricut cartridges with characters that they allow the use of, so how can they control what happens to those images.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

It is ok to use Disney images if you are not making money from it. So if anyone asks, you just say that the team mom made them and gave them to the team.

Search the Disboards for info on it. Disney has gone after etsy stores who sell the bows and custom dresses, but we have never been questioned entering the park for wearing the design. You do have to make sure you don;t use the copyrighted words like Worlds, NCA, ESPN or WWOS though.

I don't know the exact rule but I do remember a few years ago when a lot of teams' worlds shirts had various disney characters in their uniforms. I remember them getting in trouble.
Aww that is such a cute idea! That stinks that they got in trouble. Was it just like silhouettes with their uniforms on them or like full out pictures of the characters in their uniform?

It is ok to use Disney images if you are not making money from it. So if anyone asks, you just say that the team mom made them and gave them to the team.

Search the Disboards for info on it. Disney has gone after etsy stores who sell the bows and custom dresses, but we have never been questioned entering the park for wearing the design. You do have to make sure you don;t use the copyrighted words like Worlds, NCA, ESPN or WWOS though.

I think you can say Worlds, you just can't say "The Cheerleading Worlds" - King had @BuegeSmalls change that on last year's fierceboard short if I'm not mistaken.

Is your goal to avoid breaking intellectual property law, or to avoid getting in trouble for it?
Probably just avoid getting into trouble for doing something not allowed! We're coming from NZ and didn't get to travel to Worlds last year, so this is a really big thing for us! We don't want to spoil our trip by being told off for some bows!

Thanks everyone so much for your info - it looks like it should hopefully be OK. Only 12 weeks to go - it's so exciting!!

Back