Worlds & Disney & Disabled

Discussion in 'Allstar Cheerleading' started by Mom Jeans, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Mom Jeans

Mom Jeans I think I can mix Cheer Music

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I think this is pretty crummy, even if this does occur, when millions visit weekly or monthly whatever it is, it's its a small percentage, it's a slap in the face. If you are disabled or go with so one disabled,
    the being held at Disney isn't really perk. I personally do not like theme park for competitions

NBC LA - DISNEYLAND DISABLED POLICY: The Happiest Place on... | Facebook

2. WuToDouble

WuToDouble I named my pet Sir Fierce-a-lot

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    Twitter:
    WuToDouble
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    That's Disneyland in Cali not Florida.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

• Shimmy Shimmy x 1
    • Bullying Bullying x 1
    • List
  3. Fiercecheermom

Fiercecheermom I have my own cheer message board

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Unfortunately, this particular situation has been abused so long that Disney felt they needed to do something. There have been numerous news reports on this recently. It is too bad that some ruined it for the ones that truly need it. I imagine Disney World is not too far behind.

4. catlady

catlady Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    And here it is (one hour ago)....
    Walt Disney World changes disability policies | News - Home

5. kristenthegreat

kristenthegreat Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    That's not the only new trend- some people are getting fake 'disability dog' tags so that they can bring their dogs into restaurants or other places that don't allow pets (this is becoming particularly common in NYC). The problem is that these dogs aren't as well trained (typically) as disability dogs, but you can't say anything if you don't know otherwise.

6. BigBow

BigBow There are Cheeropedia articles about me!

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
  7. NEliteSteven

NEliteSteven Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    Verified Member:
    Steven Hogenson
    Coach at Northern Elite
    Can I play devil's advocate? Couldn't you call the disabled people equally as guilty and "rotten"? Or maybe the money they are making is greatly helping them out, since people on disability are on a fixed income? I mean, there is definitely more than 1 way to look at it.

8. ScottyB

ScottyB I have my own cheer message board

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Industry Professional
    Misleading thread title lol

9. kristenthegreat

kristenthegreat Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    I mean, I think it depends on the disability. There are some, I'm sure, that aren't too disruptive to daily life and just require small adjustments and don't affect the ability to generate income. However, if it's other major ones that require lots of money for hospital visits and other such stuff where your fixed income just barely keeps you afloat, I can't say I'd blame them for taking on an additional income. In these times? Is it still a bad thing to do? Absolutely. But since they are actually disabled, it doesn't quite affect me as someone faking it.

Now, kids who are legitimately faking are the ones I have the biggest problem with. Let's start by eliminating those, and then go from there.

10. BigBow

BigBow There are Cheeropedia articles about me!

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    yeah definitely true. i did hear some stories that some of these disabled people doing this are actually homeless. i say both parties are guilty in the situation. it's not right for anyone to partake in that and i can't believe the message these parents are sending to their kids by doing this.

11. Cheeranswers

Cheeranswers Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    is it a possibility that this could be solved in the same way of disabled parking? if a person is truly disabled would they not have some type of proof? i dont know if this is a stupid suggestion but it makes sense in my head.. it wouldnt solve the "fake" family member problem though.. i really dont have a good suggestion for that..

12. cheermomforever

cheermomforever Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    It has now been decided that they have to do the speed pass thing, check in and have a time when they can come back. Shame on people who take advantage of something some people really need.

13. Kelli Nicole

Kelli Nicole I text ACEDAD all the time

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach / Athlete
    I'm really going to play devils advocate... aren't we ALL on a fixed income? It's not like non-disabled have a fluctuating amount of money as needed. Everyone has X amount of dollars to spend as income...

14. NEliteSteven

NEliteSteven Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    Verified Member:
    Steven Hogenson
    Coach at Northern Elite
    The difference is when you're on disability (And I mean truly disabled. let's not get into the whole "people abuse the system" argument), you're not working and usually getting a sub-par amount of money. You are not disabled, therefore, you are fortunate enough to have the ability to go out and get a better job, or take on a 2nd job. So no, I wouldn't consider myself or you on a fixed income, because it's not an amount that is out of my control.

15. CheerBank

CheerBank Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Is the change in policy really all that terrible? People who cannot wait on line for whatever legitimate reason will still not have to wait on line. They and their entourage of 10 however will no longer be able to walk to the front of the line of whatever ride they decide and be able to go on it the moment they want to. And we should be pointing fingers at all those people who took advantage of Disney's previous policy, not at Disney for revising their policy. I know of at least 3 families from our first gym who photocopied another family's disability pass and used it to cut the lines while we were at an AmeriCheer comp years ago. Shame on them.