All-Star Worlds.....to Medal Or Not To Medal, That Is The Question

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I also think they should hand out bids according to size of venue and space etc to run the event..:)

Well the size of the competition in past years is what determines how many bid you can give out. So it thereotically should be according to how big the competition is (that's why Cheersport, NCA have so many). But things change and competitions fall on the same weekend and for whatever reason, not that many teams went to a bid comp this year and that's why there are so many bids for so few teams. But that means that next year they won't be able to give out as many.

Well the size of the competition in past years is what determines how many bid you can give out. So it thereotically should be according to how big the competition is (that's why Cheersport, NCA have so many). But things change and competitions fall on the same weekend and for whatever reason, not that many teams went to a bid comp this year and that's why there are so many bids for so few teams. But that means that next year they won't be able to give out as many.
I was talking about Worlds

Different gyms have different standards, short term goals, long term plans. Some big names won't let teams go unless they earn a paid bid, some lesser known gyms want their kids exposed to the best cheerleading in the world. Sometimes it takes coming last to realise how much more you have to do to come first, especially in areas where your gym may be the big fish in the little pond. I know that I'm going to worlds with no hope of medalling, but the fact that I'm even going is one of the biggest accomplishments of my life. I'm aware that people will probably watch my team and question whether we have the skills or deserve to be on the mat, but only we know the distance we have travelled to be the athletes we are today, and that is what we have chosen to determine our success by. Every competition, every training session, every hit or bust or fight or fall or win or loss is an opportunity to learn how to be better. Being able to stand next to the best athletes in the world and know that I earned my bid to be there, whether I come top ten, or twenty, or don't even rate a mention... well for some kids that's a pretty big life lesson.
You just spoke to every point I've made to our team this weekend. We are a first year Worlds's team with bids for Hip Hop - Senior and Open. This is such a great experience for the teams to know they DESERVED their bid, regardless of what anyone else says. They put in the hard work and effort and they can rank with the best they go against :)

It's not all about getting the medal, some teams just go for the experience even if they know they won't make top 10.

I was talking about Worlds

Oh sorry, I thought you meant size of the venue talking about the bid-giving competition, I didn't realize "the event" was Worlds, your post wasn't clear, sorry.

So many good points. Ultimately I think it is an individual (team) decision. Is it only about "winning" or is it about "competing with the best"? The big names who will likely "medal" were likely, not long ago, themselves not in medal contention. Did their "experience" at Worlds (as a lesser known team) allow them to learn what it takes to run with the big dogs and come back better and stronger the following year? My guess is yes. Is it ok to go if you don't stand much of a chance of making it past Friday? Or not making Final Top 10 on Sunday? Or not finishing in the Medals? That is a decision only your team can make.

Can you afford to go? Even with a full paid bid, there are still costs that the team will have to foot if they are travelling across the country. $650 doesn't cover everything if you are coming from the West Coast.

There are some teams that I have heard are not going this year that I honestly think could have placed top 10. There are some teams going who probably would be more suited to Restricted 5 or 4. I can only imagine that the coaches and parents of the various teams had a discussion and mutally agreed that the decision they made for their team was the right one based on their specific circumstances.

Can you afford to go? Even with a full paid bid, there are still costs that the team will have to foot if they are travelling across the country. $650 doesn't cover everything if you are coming from the West Coast.
$650 doesn't even cover east coast teams, LET ALONE West Coast. I bet you it doesn't even cover Florida teams. When you add in food, apparel , hotel, plane tickets, venue tickets for mom and/or dad/siblings, etc. Worlds can easily end up as a weekend costing you 2k+.

I think to a certain point every team that qualifies to go to Worlds should go and leave it on the mat..that being said...there are way too many bids given out. I wish it were more difficult to get a bid.....there is such a HUGE divide in some of these divisions between first and 10th or 20th...honestly...there will be SO many teams at Worlds that should have been restricted 5...IMHO...it sometimes makes for a long weekend...:/
Yes, so many teams that have bids have 'elite' stunts consisting of assisted full ups and maybe 3 or 4 doubles outta 30 kids. But I've seen those same teams get paid bids and finish top 3 at Nationals so I guess anything can happen on any given day!

i agree with lakerfantlc in terms of how many bids are given out. you know there are entirely too many bids being handed out when the 20th place team is getting one, IMO.

However, since I can't change the number of bids being given out, if you receive a bid and want to pay to go to worlds, all the more power to you. We (as a community) need to stop shunning the last place teams. If the Ep's are giving those bids out, why not take them? Teams are not doing anything wrong by going. it really is an incredible experience for anyone and may give your 12y/o athletes some motivation to break into day 2 or the top 10 by the end of their career.

not sure my mom would be shelling out upwards of $1500 for me to compete in 1 day of a potentially 3 day competition.. but if yours is make sure you thank her :)

Slightly off-topic (but relevant) it's similar to gymnastics with the '2 per country' rule. It's designed so that one country isn't completely dominating with athletes BUT, it means that some athletes who could rightfully have made it don't because although they are better than many others, they aren't one of the top 2 in their country.

I think it also depends on what you mean by 'earned' a bid or 'deserve' a bid. For many people, time of year and level of competition can influence how they feel about some bid winners. I know we hate comparing ourselves to other sports, but in WHAT other sport is their highest-ranking competition 'about the experience.' I get that it IS an experience, but that shouldn't be your reason to go..at least in my opinion. Although I understand that for cheer-developing countries, it is the sort of thing that can change the scope of participants in your region/country.

IMO: Worlds is way to easy to get a bid to. The fact that you can go "for the experience' says eons about the competition itself. You can't exactly go to the Olympics "to try it out", or play in the Superbowl "for the experience". This isn't a knock at all on the teams who go and do it, it's a bit of an inquiry about the system.

If your gym and the parents can afford to go on an AL bid, go for it. Look at Jags 08- they won with an AL. I don't think there's anything wrong with doing it if you can. I just think that for a "World Championship", it's pretty much just another Nationals. Which is sad.

JMHO

I think that some teams might just go down there with the goal of hitting a clean routine at Worlds and getting the word out about their program. And placing top ten would be a hugeeee perk. Some smaller gyms probably just start the season with the goal of being good enough to get a bid. And its a good way to get experiance competing at high stakes competitions. That way you can learn from your mistakes and get even better for next year. I think it's completely fine to go if you know that you're not going to place top ten.

Back