Worst/best Cheer Comp Experience

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 26, 2012
What is your worst/best (or both) memories at a cheer competition?

Worst: Mine was last year. We were in 5th place at NCA Nationals in Texas and had the great chance to move up to either second or third, maybe first if we were lucky. Anyways, the second day, a girl fell just walking to the pyramid, then the whole pyramid crashed like no other. The judges could only take 2 full points off because after so many deductions, they just take 2 points off for it all instead of giving you all of the deductions. It was bad... haha!

Best: My best cheer memory was also last year. Now, the team that won NCA was Tribe Thunderbirds. After our complete crash and burn at NCA their team and our team kind of got to know each other and everything. Well, we knew that we weren't going to win, so we kind of decided to hope they won first place. Well, they did! Then the next competition, we were to go against them again. Again.... Yeah... So we decided we were going to somehow have to redeem ourselves from our complete horror story at NCA. This competition we were either going to scare the hell out of the Thunderbirds and prove we weren't screw ups, or we were just going to beat the. Either way though, when we got to the competition, we all remembered how we had kind of befriended each other at NCA, so when they competed, I remember standing down there and cheering for them. In the end, we were perfect both days and they had a prep fall that was supposed to be connected to an extended lib and made it illegal, but they still won, but it was Jam Brands so what can I say. Either way, we still go SO close to beating them. It was great seeing how scared they all seemed at the beginning of day two. Even though we lost, we still came close to defeating the champions from NCA Nationals PLUS I still cheered them on! Great weekend!

It really is amazing. Seeing all that talent around you just motivates you even more! Hopefully you can be there one day!
Well, since I had surgery, I can never tumble again, so likelihood of anyone putting me on a level 5 or 6 is slim to none, but I hope to just come and watch! Maybe end up a coach to a team there one day!

What is your worst/best (or both) memories at a cheer competition?

Worst: Mine was last year. We were in 5th place at NCA Nationals in Texas and had the great chance to move up to either second or third, maybe first if we were lucky. Anyways, the second day, a girl fell just walking to the pyramid, then the whole pyramid crashed like no other. The judges could only take 2 full points off because after so many deductions, they just take 2 points off for it all instead of giving you all of the deductions. It was bad... haha!

Best: My best cheer memory was also last year. Now, the team that won NCA was Tribe Thunderbirds. After our complete crash and burn at NCA their team and our team kind of got to know each other and everything. Well, we knew that we weren't going to win, so we kind of decided to hope they won first place. Well, they did! Then the next competition, we were to go against them again. Again.... Yeah... So we decided we were going to somehow have to redeem ourselves from our complete horror story at NCA. This competition we were either going to scare the hell out of the Thunderbirds and prove we weren't screw ups, or we were just going to beat the. Either way though, when we got to the competition, we all remembered how we had kind of befriended each other at NCA, so when they competed, I remember standing down there and cheering for them. In the end, we were perfect both days and they had a prep fall that was supposed to be connected to an extended lib and made it illegal, but they still won, but it was Jam Brands so what can I say. Either way, we still go SO close to beating them. It was great seeing how scared they all seemed at the beginning of day two. Even though we lost, we still came close to defeating the champions from NCA Nationals PLUS I still cheered them on! Great weekend!
worst experience: Spirit Solution Cupid Classic 2012. we were getting ready to compete when we were in warmups a flyer fell out of a stunt and crashed on another girl. the one that was basing her could compete because she got kicked in the face and was having nosebleeds nonstop. so our frontspot had to base and she didnt know how so while competing we dropped that stunt...and 2 other stunts, one in the pyramid and one other in the main stunts. the basket tosses were off timing and so was tumbling. also while competing my mom was gonna record the preformance but the sd card for her camera wasnt in there!! we got 5th out of 6th place and everyone was upset. alot of people were crying...we were a failure that day!!
best expierience: cheer comp. in raleigh nc. we got there and we did good during warmups and everyhting!! we were ready to compete and when we did we hit our routine perfect!! all up until the baskets...we all went at different times...hahaha. but at awards we got 2nd place and still got the highest score we could get on baskets!! Plus we got to meet and get a picture with the NC State Wolfpack cheerleaders!!! we also had so much fun at that comp!! :)

Some little janky regional wayyyy back in 2006 (I still have the shirt and everything!)...
we were on the last warmup mat behind stage (it was one where you warmed up and went directly on), and I broke out in a really high fever and started to feel like I was going to throw up...I was either 9 or 10 and I was scared to death, but they couldn't find a fill in that quickly so I had to perform..
Here's what CSP did for me...she said "I'm gonna put a trashcan on the corners of the floor, if you have to throw up, do it and keep going." long story short, I didn't throw up and ended up having some awful virus and I got a free shirt lol. :D

worst experience: Spirit Solution Cupid Classic 2012. we were getting ready to compete when we were in warmups a flyer fell out of a stunt and crashed on another girl. the one that was basing her could compete because she got kicked in the face and was having nosebleeds nonstop. so our frontspot had to base and she didnt know how so while competing we dropped that stunt...and 2 other stunts, one in the pyramid and one other in the main stunts. the basket tosses were off timing and so was tumbling. also while competing my mom was gonna record the preformance but the sd card for her camera wasnt in there!! we got 5th out of 6th place and everyone was upset. alot of people were crying...we were a failure that day!!
best expierience: cheer comp. in raleigh nc. we got there and we did good during warmups and everyhting!! we were ready to compete and when we did we hit our routine perfect!! all up until the baskets...we all went at different times...hahaha. but at awards we got 2nd place and still got the highest score we could get on baskets!! Plus we got to meet and get a picture with the NC State Wolfpack cheerleaders!!! we also had so much fun at that comp!! :)
was this Spirit Xpress at Broughton High School?

Worst: Back in 2009 (my last year of rec cheer) our league competition was held outdoors and it was probably one of the most beautiful days ever, but also it was around 90 degrees out and not a cloud in sight with minimum shade.. (This was also in November.. Welcome to FL). Anyway, so around 2pm everyone started getting overheated, sunburnt, ect. and we didn't compete until around 4ish. So with Floridas steady weather, as we went to warm up, it started to get cloudy, dark and windy. Well, right as we stepped into the box (no matts, just grass), it began to pour. Needless to say, we went on and my first stunt fell due to my base literally slipping onto the floor then our pyramid fell due to bases not being able to hold their grips from the slippery shoes. We still managed to get 2nd, but it still was a terrible day -_- Oh & I totally forgot how a team of 8 year olds stole a bunch of girls phones from my team :p

Best: When I coached, we had our first competition is Tampa and leading up to that competition my best friend, who I haven't seen for months at the time, from Sarasota (two hours away from me) was saying he was going to come but the day before he told me he couldn't because he got into an accident and his car was not able to make the drive up. Well, about an hour before warm ups, a few girls from my team ran off and said they found some really hot guy and they wanted me to meet him, so as I found the girls my best friend walked up the stairs behind them :cloud9: My girls also put on an amazing performance and got 1st place! :)

Worst: Cheersport Nationals last year. On Friday morning, we had busses pick us up from the gym and drop us off at whichever hotels we stayed at to check in, change, and get to the venue for our practice time. The busses arrived 2 hours late and we had to go straight to the venue and change in the bathrooms. Saturday wasn't so bad, a few flaws, but overall, good. Sunday, I'm not sure what happened, but it was just an off day. Our warmups were terrible and our performance was terrible.

Best: Also last year at Reach the Beach Nationals. It was our last chance to get National Champion jackets. I was on senior 4.2 and we had a lot of girls crossing over from junior 3 (who had different uniforms). The junior 3 girls had warm ups for senior 4.2 RIGHT after their performance. Many of the girls changed uniforms right on the boardwalk, us making a circle around them so nobody could see. It started raining right before warm ups, but since we were the 2nd to last team performing, they didn't pause the competition. A lot of girls on our team also were buddies with girls on the special needs team. During our warm ups, the special needs team was performing and atleast one girl was missing from each stunt group. So we never got to warm up our stunts. When we were on deck, we were pretty discouraged. The floor was wet so our flyers shoes were wet. But we went out and tried our best. And it was our best performance of the season. Everything hit perfectly and we won :D

Back