Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

SharkDad

Most Positive, Best Parent '12
Staff member
Cheer Parent
FBOD:LLFB
Dec 15, 2009
This thread is to focus questions, explanations, discussions, and even provide suggestions if you like about what happened today. Maybe if we are lucky we will get some insight and comments from "the Pope" herself. (I'm Catholic so I definitely mean no disrespect to the big man of our religion. Please don't take this there)

First off, let me say it was a truly unique experience. I think it is overly simplistic to describe it as a modified showcase. It did only include CEA teams today and without trying to speak for Courtney, I think that it's a good idea if you want to demonstrate a new idea that you start in your own home.

What we down:
The morning session was the following individual compeititons:
Best 5 jumps to back
Best jumps
Best body positions
Best toe touch basket
Best Double Down
Level 1-5 tumbling
Level 1-4 stunting

The afternoon session was all of the 45 CEA teams (there are 4 prep teams but I don't think they were there) competing against each other within the same division for teams awards: Best choreography, Best stunts, Best tumbling, Best pyramid, Best Dance. There were some great match-ups in all the divisions in every level. Some notables were YE K-Ville vs YE Raleigh, JE vs SJX, and SE vs SSX vs CE to name a few.

The unique thing about the whole day was that immediately after any of the performances the judges gave feedback directly to the team while they remained on the floor. These were very high caliber judges and it was honest critique, but VERY positive. They would make sure to highlight great aspects of the routine and give suggestions on things to make their routine even better. Even better was that the judges would make sure and highlight individual exceptional performers in the routine and they would get their own performance award trophy.
Lots of kids throughout the day who aren't necessarily the center flyer/dancer or last pass were getting told how awesome their facials were or great their motions and dance moves and the kids loved it.

It was really a great day and I hope someday each of your programs get a chance to something similar. Please feel free to post comments or ask questions and I hope any kids, parents, or coaches who were there will post their thoughts on the experience.

I love this idea. I think it's a great way to unify such a big programme and show how much love and care is taken over each athlete at every level across all locations. Sometimes at the start of the season it can be hard to push through losses, or continue to work on improvement with successive wins. I imagine something like this can only boost morale and add to the cheer of the holiday season. Well played, CEA.

I loved how some of the level 1-4 teams really got some recognition! K-ville Jr Excel for instance, seemed to be one of Gianni's favorite performances..

I'm getting my thoughts together before a huge post but I agree CLJacks. Another great example is Salem Jr 3. Gianni stood up and gave them a standing ovation. Those kid were bursting at the seams they were so proud!!! Very happy for them!!!

I agree with Tealy. I spent the night gathering my thoughts. Its such a new concept. How should I feel about it?

Interestingly, the thing I liked most, besides how excited the kids were to be recognized by the judges, was the commentary given to the coaches. I learned a great deal just listening to their advice. I enjoyed seeing our cousins from the other gyms, but am looking forward to the day that, hopefully, we can watch other programs, other styles of cheerleading, and to see how the commentaries differ. I love that it ran on time!!!

Would I add anything? My CP pointed out to me that Worlds is one of the only competitions left with an out-of-bounds area. If I were a coach with a Worlds team, X-Evolution would be a great place to test my final tumbler's crazy pass. How many you tube videos have you seen where a guy is in the middle of his sickness through to a double, and has to end in a tuck because he ran out of mat? X-Evolution might become the only event where a coach test passes, choreography, and stunts, and talk to World's caliber judges, without the fear of "losing" everything and sending his parents and athletes home feeling like "losers."

All in all, I'd say that I enjoyed it. I would like to see how it "Evolves". Lol I made a funny!

I agree with Tealy. I spent the night gathering my thoughts. Its such a new concept. How should I feel about it?

Interestingly, the thing I liked most, besides how excited the kids were to be recognized by the judges, was the commentary given to the coaches. I learned a great deal just listening to their advice. I enjoyed seeing our cousins from the other gyms, but am looking forward to the day that, hopefully, we can watch other programs, other styles of cheerleading, and to see how the commentaries differ. I love that it ran on time!!!

Would I add anything? My CP pointed out to me that Worlds is one of the only competitions left with an out-of-bounds area. If I were a coach with a Worlds team, X-Evolution would be a great place to test my final tumbler's crazy pass. How many you tube videos have you seen where a guy is in the middle of his sickness through to a double, and has to end in a tuck because he ran out of mat? X-Evolution might become the only event where a coach test passes, choreography, and stunts, and talk to World's caliber judges, without the fear of "losing" everything and sending his parents and athletes home feeling like "losers."

All in all, I'd say that I enjoyed it. I would like to see how it "Evolves". Lol I made a funny!

Doesn't NCA have out of bounds? And I believe there should be an out-of-bounds area. I would think it is dangerous to land on the slant down part of the mat or even on the conrete.

There is no "out of bounds" penalty anymore anywhere that I know of. UNLESS you literally walk off the entire matted area and then back onto the floor later. Like in a transition or something. But the general rule regarding out of bounds now is that as long as you land with one foot on the matted surface and make every effort to get back on the floor, you are fine. Worlds may be the exception that if both feet land off the matted area, regardless of intentional or unintentional, you get a deduction (I think).

Another element that was included that wasn't mentioned is the Video Replay Room. After each team performed and was critiqued by the judges (who were absolutely great with a very surprising level of energy - even toward the end of the day), and awards were given, each team would go back to another room where there routine was reviewed on video with yet another judge to point out areas where improvements need to be made.

I would have to say that this event by far exceeded my expectations. The individual competitions in the morning were fun to watch and the kids were excited about them. Friendly competition is good, but seeing the kids really pull for each other was nice to see. The attention that the judges gave to the Level 2 teams was just as much, and as heart-felt, as they were for the level 5 teams. It was very nice that the kids could hear 'coaching' from someone other than their coaches all the time. I know my daughter certainly took it to heart.

Finally, kudos to all of the organizers and volunteers who made this happen. I would venture to say that this was run more smoothly and efficiently than a lot of competitions from event producers who do this for a living.

I can't wait until the next one toward the end of the season.

Another element that was included that wasn't mentioned is the Video Replay Room. After each team performed and was critiqued by the judges (who were absolutely great with a very surprising level of energy - even toward the end of the day), and awards were given, each team would go back to another room where there routine was reviewed on video with yet another judge to point out areas where improvements need to be made.

I think that would be great thing for actual competitions. Takes audio critiquing to a new level. It would be interesting if they could have this video critiquing and an additional 2 minutes to talk with the judge.

I think that would be great thing for actual competitions. Takes audio critiquing to a new level. It would be interesting if they could have this video critiquing and an additional 2 minutes to talk with the judge.

There is a company that is doing that for the past 3 or 4 years years. CheerNY will keep the team on the floor ciritiquing the performance

The attention that the judges gave to the Level 2 teams was just as much, and as heart-felt, as they were for the level 5 teams. It was very nice that the kids could hear 'coaching' from someone other than their coaches all the time. I know my daughter certainly took it to heart.

Finally, kudos to all of the organizers and volunteers who made this happen. I would venture to say that this was run more smoothly and efficiently than a lot of competitions from event producers who do this for a living.
How cool was it to have a whole arena cheer for a L2 junior team? The judges were so enthusiastic, it was infectuous. I loved how they just gave an individual award to a kid (or kids) they noticed during the performance. It didn't have to be a crazy tumbler, or showy flyer. It was the beasty backspot who saved a stunt, or a flyer who fell, got up smiling and kept going. They really made those kids feel special. Also, I liked how a team could win the pyramid award, while the other team, they're competing against may beat that team in jumps.

You are right, Miss Fritts did an amazing job (as usual)!!!

Back