All-Star Youth Makeup

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Who are these ugly-soul fun suckers you people call friends?

For the record- I'm an average shade white girl, and I don't think most of these kids need more than a quick bit of liner and mascara, and that's if they're juniors. Also- have we established why the judges NEED to be 20ft away? Wouldn't it be more beneficial for them to be closer? Might help them see a bit better.

Stage level makeup was meant for the people in the back..judges shouldn't be in the back of the hall.
When I'm watching, I prefer to sit back and high so that I can see everything not just the front half and middle of the floor.

I think us women would be surprised how many men feel the same way as @FamousxMindset. My husband doesn't have a problem with "stage make up" but, he does have some issues with the total package at times (make up, hair, uniform and dance moves). He feels women just forget, or are in denial, that men are hardwired differently and said he is far from the only dad that feels, on occasion, the total package is in conflict with what they feel is age appropriate.

As far as, your analogy FamousxMindset, it was far from offensive, my child has gone through chemo twice (catastrophic blood disorder not cancer). In group therapy sessions (oncology/hematology) we talked about the people that tiptoed around us, not the ones that sympathized and empathized with us. Those that get all offended and defensive at the mention of cancer, rape, death, etc. or analogies about them, hinder the healing process. You are absolutely correct, you don't have to have cancer to know it's horrible, nor do you have to have kids to know how you would like to raise them.

I think us women would be surprised how many men feel the same way as @FamousxMindset. My husband doesn't have a problem with "stage make up" but, he does have some issues with the total package at times (make up, hair, uniform and dance moves). He feels women just forget, or are in denial, that men are hardwired differently and said he is far from the only dad that feels, on occasion, the total package is in conflict with what they feel is age appropriate.

As far as, your analogy FamousxMindset, it was far from offensive, my child has gone through chemo twice (catastrophic blood disorder not cancer). In group therapy sessions (oncology/hematology) we talked about the people that tiptoed around us, not the ones that sympathized and empathized with us. Those that get all offended and defensive at the mention of cancer, rape, death, etc. or analogies about them, hinder the healing process. You are absolutely correct, you don't have to have cancer to know it's horrible, nor do you have to have kids to know how you would like to raise them.
My boyfriend says something similar. When talking of our future child doing cheer, he says he doesn't understand why they would need makeup. I explained young ones wouldn't have full face makeup, just enough to not wash out and to make facials pop and such. He says if cheer is a sport then the focus should be on skills and killing it on the mat instead of how they look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My boyfriend says something similar. When talking of our future child doing cheer, he says he doesn't understand why they would need makeup. I explained young ones wouldn't have full face makeup, just enough to not wash out and to make facials pop and such. He says if cheer is a sport then the focus should be on skills and killing it on the mat instead of how they look.

This isn't directed towards you but I'm using your post as a jumping off point.

I dont understand the argument that cheer can't be a sport (and I use the term very loosely) because we wear heavy make up and our hair has to be done. It's so weird how we can be exceptional athletes AND look good doing it. Where does it say the participants of a sport have to look a certain way to be considered "real athletes"? Where does this thought process even come from? God forbid girls are talented and pretty! And at the same time! How can this happen?!

I'm tired of people trying invalidate the athleticism of cheer because of the way we look for competition. And I see it happen in the cheer community too.

I dont understand the argument that cheer can't be a sport (and I use the term very loosely) because we wear heavy make up and our hair has to be done. It's so weird how we can be exceptional athletes AND look good doing it. Where does it say the participants of a sport have to look a certain way to be considered "real athletes"? Where does this thought process even come from? God forbid girls are talented and pretty! And at the same time! How can this happen?!

I'm tired of people trying invalidate the athleticism of cheer because of the way we look for competition. And I see it happen in the cheer community too.
I know it wasn't directed at me but same. I said this exact thing in response to him and he was just like but why? Every other sport they look sweaty and gross and don't care why can't cheerleaders. I always say because we're a performance sport and looking performance-ready adds to the overall impression of a routine. This is a constant argument in our house that is actually irrelevant [emoji23]

Because it's ingrained in our society that girls are either "pretty" or athletic. That you can either care about how you look or how you perform, and that we can't have both at the same time. What I love about cheer is that you CAN have both. Its not either/or.
The problem we run in to is that at some point it becomes either/or - like when we make uniforms with these crazy open backs to the point that girls can't wear bras with them. We can be pretty and athletic as long as the pretty remains FUNCTIONAL. When you can't wear a bra or your hair is so high that you can't perform your stunts, then the pretty is outweighing the athletic and you need to straighten your priorities. But until that point i say do whatever you want to your makeup/have all the bling you want because we can be pretty and amazingly talented (and smart and cool and omg it's almost like we can be complex human beings with more than one side!!)

Because it's ingrained in our society that girls are either "pretty" or athletic. That you can either care about how you look or how you perform, and that we can't have both at the same time. What I love about cheer is that you CAN have both. Its not either/or.
The problem we run in to is that at some point it becomes either/or - like when we make uniforms with these crazy open backs to the point that girls can't wear bras with them. We can be pretty and athletic as long as the pretty remains FUNCTIONAL. When you can't wear a bra or your hair is so high that you can't perform your stunts, then the pretty is outweighing the athletic and you need to straighten your priorities. But until that point i say do whatever you want to your makeup/have all the bling you want because we can be pretty and amazingly talented (and smart and cool and omg it's almost like we can be complex human beings with more than one side!!)

Preach it sistah. Us girls can do it all ;)

Eta: we are the superior sex. Sorry boys.

I haven't personally run into any people that have argued, "cheer can't be a sport because of the make up and hair." I have, however, run into people that question what we define as "pretty" or "fierce". We can't deny there's a huge difference between a collegiate look and a pair of shorts or skirt where cheeks are hanging out and a crop that has a choker, the back out and shows cleavage. There's a huge difference between a straightened or curly ponytail with lip color, blush, shadow, liner & mascara and a teased up mass with glitter shadow, heavily winged eye with fake lashes and a heavily lined lip. What is "pretty" to some, is "trashy" to others, what is "classy" to some is "boring" to others. It's an 18 and under "sport", people are going to have opinions when it deals with make up, hair, and size of uniforms.

It like ballroom dance where it's takes skill to do but in comp you need to look put together heck I really miss cheer hair and makeup because ballroom hair is so much more effort.

In ballroom while not judged soley on looks as your on the floor with up to 20 couple you need to be put together to stand out so that means well fitting clothing, hair and makeup on point which varies depending on age as we have strict rules for under 12's a good presence and skill

I haven't personally run into any people that have argued, "cheer can't be a sport because of the make up and hair." I have, however, run into people that question what we define as "pretty" or "fierce". We can't deny there's a huge difference between a collegiate look and a pair of shorts or skirt where cheeks are hanging out and a crop that has a choker, the back out and shows cleavage. There's a huge difference between a straightened or curly ponytail with lip color, blush, shadow, liner & mascara and a teased up mass with glitter shadow, heavily winged eye with fake lashes and a heavily lined lip. What is "pretty" to some, is "trashy" to others, what is "classy" to some is "boring" to others. It's an 18 and under "sport", people are going to have opinions when it deals with make up, hair, and size of uniforms.
Absolute yes to both of these.

Perhaps I should count my lucky stars that my DH does all our make up and doesn't think it's OOT or sexual? I completely understand that men are wired differently, but if a grown adult male looks at my 7 year olds red lips and thinks something sexual I don't want him anywhere near my child. Men are hard wired differently, but they aren't typically hard wired to be a pedo.

*The day Susie was not full of sunshine.*

Perhaps I should count my lucky stars that my DH does all our make up and doesn't think it's OOT or sexual? I completely understand that men are wired differently, but if a grown adult male looks at my 7 year olds red lips and thinks something sexual I don't want him anywhere near my child. Men are hard wired differently, but they aren't typically hard wired to be a pedo.

*The day Susie was not full of sunshine.*

I 100% agree. And, I can tell you from experience that you don't have to be dolled up in makeup and cute clothes for a creep to get the wrong thoughts. I dressed like a tom boy when I was younger and that didn't stop someone.

Personally, I don't have a major opinion on putting make up on little kids. I'm more concerned with the direction the uniforms are going. They make toy make-up sets for kids, there are little kid vanity sets, kids play dress up and sneak into mom's drawer to put on lipstick. Makeup isn't a huge taboo in society either, or I don't think it is. I don't think heavy makeup is necessary for youth kids, but I don't think there is a problem with it either.

I am going to ignore the debate and comment on something that I have been doing differently with my 9 yo CP this season and I have been loving the results. She is extremely pale, with blueish cool undertones. I started using the Revlon Photoready Illuminator Cream followed by PhotoReady BB cream. It is not so heavy that I can;t see her freckles but it helps refract the stage lights beautifully. I have never received so many compliments about her makeup.

Back