All-Star 2012 London Olympics

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I think what got me the most was that the last girl who did floor was still walking off and her teammates were already crying. They really knew that she was the nail in their coffin.

Yeah I guess I see what you mean, you could see it meant a lot to them and they didn't feel like they did the best of jobs!

I am not criticizing a child for crying. I have REPEATEDLY said that I don't fault her for crying SIMPLY because of HER AGE. Yes. In a perfect world she would have been able to hug Aly and Gabby and share in their excitement and then walk off and boohoo in her pillow. But (as I have repeatedly said) she is a 17 girl and a 17 yr old girl would react that way. HOWEVER if you look at Tom Daly, an 18 yr old picked to medal in synch diving Monday...also lost...and did not cry. So it is not unheard of to save your disappointment for later. Thrill of victory; agony of defeat.

Russia also cried all thru floor finals, Ksenia cried on the mat, chick that missed the pass cried on the mat. They cried while leaving the arena.

But also generally guys suck it up and dont cry. I have seen football players tear ACL and break bones and not cry because they dont want to appear "weak" they want to look "manly and tough" so comparing a 17 year old girl to an 18 year old guy doesn't really work and Tom still got the chance to compete for that medal while Jordyn doesn't even get the chance to compete for the all around medal even though she was only 4th overall.

All of the debate over Jordyn Wieber really gets me. I'm not interested in whether or not she cried on camera etc, etc, etc... (I don't think?) any of us have ever been under that kind of pressure in the Olympic Games, so who knows how we would have reacted had it been us. I don't find it necessary to judge or analyze her reaction.

It does bug me, though, when people make light of it and act like she/the media/her fans are being overly dramatic. That hasn't necessarily been an overwhelming sentiment on this board, but with people I've spoken with and on NBC's Olympics website, it has been. It definitely IS a huge deal. Jordyn has worked insanely hard for years and years (as do all Olympic athletes) and came into the Olympics as the top gymnast in the world. She had an off day and still placed fourth in the entire competition... and didn't get to advance. That means she beat 21 of the 24 gymnasts who did. It's absolutely ridiculous.

Maybe this is a pointless rant but I just find this rule so infuriating and unfair. I'm so glad that the USA Girls pulled out the team win so Jordyn still got to stand at the top of that podium and hear The Star Spangled Banner. But when the reigning world champ can't qualify because of a technicality, it's obvious that something's wrong. I hope this situation pushes the gymnastics powers-that-be to evaluate the fairness of this rule for the future.

But also generally guys suck it up and dont cry. I have seen football players tear ACL and break bones and not cry because they dont want to appear "weak" they want to look "manly and tough" so comparing a 17 year old girl to an 18 year old guy doesn't really work and Tom still got the chance to compete for that medal while Jordyn doesn't even get the chance to compete for the all around medal even though she was only 4th overall.

Okay then Missy Franklin. But again, its a personal preference to how you like to see people in any situation react, its personal how you would react, and being that people are individuals they will all react differently. Most of yall don't understand my point (and thats okay) and are in a rush to defend her (and again thats okay), but in reality my statement in noway reflects what other people in the world felt about her behavior (namely that she acted like a brat). Also if you scroll back to my original statement you will clearly see that I felt that her reaction was expected simply based on her circumstance.

Anyway. Go Aly and Go Gabby because its all about them tomorrow.

All of the debate over Jordyn Wieber really gets me. I'm not interested in whether or not she cried on camera etc, etc, etc... (I don't think?) any of us have ever been under that kind of pressure in the Olympic Games, so who knows how we would have reacted had it been us. I don't find it necessary to judge or analyze her reaction.

It does bug me, though, when people make light of it and act like she/the media/her fans are being overly dramatic. That hasn't necessarily been an overwhelming sentiment on this board, but with people I've spoken with and on NBC's Olympics website, it has been. It definitely IS a huge deal. Jordyn has worked insanely hard for years and years (as do all Olympic athletes) and came into the Olympics as the top gymnast in the world. She had an off day and still placed fourth in the entire competition... and didn't get to advance. That means she beat 21 of the 24 gymnasts who did. It's absolutely ridiculous.

Maybe this is a pointless rant but I just find this rule so infuriating and unfair. I'm so glad that the USA Girls pulled out the team win so Jordyn still got to stand at the top of that podium and hear The Star Spangled Banner. But when the reigning world champ can't qualify because of a technicality, it's obvious that something's wrong. I hope this situation pushes the gymnastics powers-that-be to evaluate the fairness of this rule for the future.

With this being said... I wish everyone would leave Aly alone! Not only did she have a great competition, but she was the top USA girl that day. If Jordyn had qualified, she would have knocked out Gabby, not Aly. I'm sad about Jordyn, but Aly does not deserve flack for accomplishing something that she deserved just as much. She's a great gymnast and I think she'll do well at AA finals.

Ok, I promise I'm done ranting.

Latest posts

Back