All-Star 2013/2014 Team Videos

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

i'm with you that they did wonderfully (so this isn't a dig at them - just my hatred of CHEERSPORT) but because there were three divisions of small coed with three different judging panels, you cannot compare their scores across the board. had they been in another group with a different panel, their score may not have been as high, or they may not have even won small coed.

same goes for SOT A-Team being "grand champ" - had they had one of the other panels, would their score be that high? the world may never know. and again, all of the winners were phenomenal. I just hate that CHEERSPORT breaks them up and gives them different judging panels because you cannot make comparisons. sorry that i complain about this every year, but i will continue to do so as long as they continue to do it :p

I actually didn't know this, so thanks!
So every single division has a different set of judges? Wouldn't that make it ridiculously subjective?
Totally get where you're coming from if yes.
Do any other big competitions do this or just Cheersport?

i'm with you that they did wonderfully (so this isn't a dig at them - just my hatred of CHEERSPORT) but because there were three divisions of small coed with three different judging panels, you cannot compare their scores across the board. had they been in another group with a different panel, their score may not have been as high, or they may not have even won small coed.

same goes for SOT A-Team being "grand champ" - had they had one of the other panels, would their score be that high? the world may never know. and again, all of the winners were phenomenal. I just hate that CHEERSPORT breaks them up and gives them different judging panels because you cannot make comparisons. sorry that i complain about this every year, but i will continue to do so as long as they continue to do it :p
Which I think is why I feel like NCA is more prestigious. Someone was saying "I wish that people wouldn't act like cheer sport doesn't matter" well, it does matter but it's harder to take it seriously when multiple small coed teams get jackets and the "national champion" title. It's like.... But who would've won out of those three? You can't know because they're judged by different people. Which really bothers me, especially for worlds teams

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Which I think is why I feel like NCA is more prestigious. Someone was saying "I wish that people wouldn't act like cheer sport doesn't matter" well, it does matter but it's harder to take it seriously when multiple small coed teams get jackets and the "national champion" title. It's like.... But who would've won out of those three? You can't know because they're judged by different people. Which really bothers me, especially for worlds teams

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Do you/anyone know how they actually split them? Like how do they decide who its going to be in Small Coed D1, D2 and D3?

Do you/anyone know how they actually split them? Like how do they decide who its going to be in Small Coed D1, D2 and D3?
I'm pretty sure it's random for level 5. I know that some divisions are split based on numbers like for small D1 is teams with 20 members and D2 would be teams with less than 20. But, there are also some divisions that are done randomly because that method wouldn't work as well.

I actually didn't know this, so thanks!
So every single division has a different set of judges? Wouldn't that make it ridiculously subjective?
Totally get where you're coming from if yes.
Do any other big competitions do this or just Cheersport?

there are multiple panels of judges within each performance hall at CS. so everyone in small coed D2 had the same judges, but the other divisions, and even the teams competing in the same hall as them probably had different judges, making it extremely hard to compare scores across the board. if you look at each division, you can tell that some panels were scoring very high (within range) and some were scoring very low. example: large senior, as a whole, is usually one of the highest scoring divisions and compared to the others they were kind of low this year as well as IAG.

most competitions have a few panels alternating (otherwise there would have to be 10 min breaks between each team to calculate scores) but at NCA and Worlds, obviously, they do not split within a division for worlds teams. Splits are not the hugest deal, except for when it comes to naming a grand champion or awarding bids. i.e. last year Texas Cheer had a higher score than other teams that won worlds bids at CS, causing a bit of an uproar. i have no idea how CS awards summit bids, but i'm assuming that has become just as interesting and subjective as worlds bids.

I'm pretty sure it's random for level 5. I know that some divisions are split based on numbers like for small D1 is teams with 20 members and D2 would be teams with less than 20. But, there are also some divisions that are done randomly because that method wouldn't work as well.

I've never understood why they don't have all the teams in 1 division, it surely wouldn't take up any less time?

Does CA never get tired of going to all of the same competitions going against no one? I would like to see THEM at Cheersport next year or WSF! The only time they leave the state is for Majors and worlds and that's makes me sad :(

Don't take this as a dig on teams from other areas, but TX/OK teams don't really have to travel in order to go up against incredible competition. They compete week in / week out with tons of Worlds-medalist-caliber teams. They may not always have numerous teams in their specific division, but they compete for bids against all the 5s. There are weekends in Texas you can find 10+ teams with multiple NCA/Worlds titles all battling each other for 2 paid bids. It forces you to try to squeeze every tenth out of your score - even when you may be the only large coed / small coed / etc team there. I think that is why when TX/OK teams DO "travel" - they tend to have pretty good results. Example: 5 Worlds teams from TX/OK that went to CheerSport all won their division. (3 of those teams got paid bids after multiple attempts at Texas competitions.)

I've never understood why they don't have all the teams in 1 division, it surely wouldn't take up any less time?
The theory is that it helps with accuracy, idk personally as I'm not a judge. But, I guess having so many teams in one division it gets hard to get every team in the right place. A lot of competitions do this including NCA (except worlds teams) so I guess their must be some really good reason for it.

Back