All-Star 2014/2015 Videos

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Here's my thing.
Technique is not an easy thing to fix, and it's supposed to be something that's taught properly, and fixed if something is going wrong, the moment it starts to go wrong. If I were coaching an athlete a roundoff backhandspring, and it was beautiful, but when they progressed to a tuck following the backhandspring they started to lose technique in the first elements, you bet your bottom dollar we'd be going back and making 100% sure that isn't gonna continue. Athletes these days are being pushed to be level 5, regardless of injuries, and improper/unsafe/rushed progressions. In the case of orange shorts, he was clearly not taught a proper layout, and if he was, something went horribly wrong in the layout-to-full progression. Athletes these days are being taught fulls and doubles when their roundoffs aren't even done properly because of this industry's obsession with level 5. It's disgusting how many youth 5 athletes I've seen develop a slight turn in their hands-to-feet part of a backhandspring in order to begin their full twist. Heck it would probably take me about 30 seconds to go back and find a 2by2 including CEA's Y5 and show you exactly what I mean (in slow motion of course). Let me tell you, if you're looking to tear your ACL, start doing backhandsprings like this.
If these are athletes who are working technique on these skills, great, but seeing the amount of cheerleaders who start the season with bad technique and end it with technique that's just as horrible, I have my doubts.

@chyeeaaa69 my kids had some of the best tumbling coaches in the industry and i would just watch and listen, fascinated by the science of their corrections. When they were first working fulls they did exactly what you said here, took them back to a round off because THAT was where the problem was that, then, just magnified through the handspring into the set. I was amazed that fixing the full wasn't really the issue, it was fixing the round off. My cp14 still warms up like that...progression style. Warms up multiple hand, then hand tuck, then hand layout before she'll throw her first full of the day. She said backstage at competition she'll start at the tuck but that's still the progression she'll follow.

(This is completely off your topic but It was a funny tumble coach story), when we changed gyms and my kids were tumbling for their new coaches one of them (an African American coach) stopped my son and said "you were trained in tumbling by a gymnast weren't you?" He said "yes, sir" and his new coach followed with "it was a black gymnast wasn't it?" We told that story to his original coach and he died laughing. He said "yup! We've got our own style!" That was a priceless moment but his first coach took it as a complete compliment :D

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I think that JTV really over does it with all these videos. Yes, we get it CEA is great and they have great athletes but you don't have to show us every single little practice or event that they go to. I enjoyed his videos when he first started doing them because you only got to see how the athletes changed month to month. Now it's almost daily and that's too much video for me.

Last edited:
My cp14 still warms up like that...progression style. Warms up multiple hand, then hand tuck, then hand layout before she'll throw her first full of the day. She said backstage at competition she'll start at the tuck but that's still the progression she'll follow.

This is how we warm up our teams as well. (A number of gyms near us do the same.)

An athlete should have a high, hollow layout before twisting. And the full should be complete before landing. Nothing makes me cringe more than youth athletes "ripping" their full from the floor and starting that twist before they even get off the ground. Or...landing their full on the floor with their legs still crossed.
12step's 14 yo has one of the prettiest layouts I've ever seen.

An athlete should have a high, hollow layout before twisting. And the full should be complete before landing. Nothing makes me cringe more than youth athletes "ripping" their full from the floor and starting that twist before they even get off the ground. Or...landing their full on the floor with their legs still crossed.

Awwww thanks. They had sticklers for technique as coaches and it's paid off :)

An athlete should have a high, hollow layout before twisting. And the full should be complete before landing. Nothing makes me cringe more than youth athletes "ripping" their full from the floor and starting that twist before they even get off the ground.

Oh yes.

And they'll caption their double on social media with "#iDouble" or "#dubclub"

More like #iPikeOverAndSpin1.5timesin3PiecesandHopeILandIt or #aircastclub

i would loveee to see video of other teams first practices. i doubt anyones tumbling is perfect right now. and as far as the one guy in orange who supposedly has never cheered before (correct me if im wrong) ill give him props for attempting half that tumbling without busting his face wide open. i mean its the very first practice, and heck i think ive seen some janky tumbling passes all the way to worlds in the past from multiple teams.

It's not perfect, but the girl who does the full in the back at the start of running tumbling, going from right to left had one of the best fulls I've seen.
She popped into my head when I read your comment.

It's not perfect, but the girl who does the full in the back at the start of running tumbling, going from right to left had one of the best fulls I've seen.
She popped into my head when I read your comment.

That's funny, when you posted this video without even watching I already knew who you were talking about! I agree! It's so graceful! I think when they really have good technique is when you can't really tell they twist, when they're not ripping it for life to land it and to get all the way around! Lol

Back