2017-18 Usasf Cheer Rules & Age Grid

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

The point is precisely that it doesn't force another stunt group. This allows you to have 1-2 athletes on the team who aren't participating in the group stunts. This gives you some roster freedom to have athletes who either aren't strong stunters and/or don't have to stunt for whatever reason. It also theoretically means an injury wouldn't automatically make you lose a stunt group and change formations.

It's only 2 extra people, but 38 on a mat seems excessive. Capping at 35 athletes would give those same benefits

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So the fact that the large division is now 38 athletes even though large teams never even field 36.... I'm confused, USASF
Teams usually don't even reach 36 though, so wouldn't that kind of be the same thing? I guess it's more of a "just in case" factor but still..

Large Worlds teams aren't (typically) choosing to have 35 (or 31) because they can't field enough athletes, they are either doing it strategically for ratio purposes, or doing it to keep non-stunters on the floor. If you can max out without it hurting you strategically, you will likely see more teams with the max number of athletes.

It's just easier for me to make reference with the table attached as an image:
196ab3a1bdcf65d1edaf8ecf6d9ebccf.jpg

I have two questions:
1.) Why are the minimum number of athletes for the all-girl and coed Worlds divisions different?

2.) Given question 1 has a legitimate answer and not just a typo on USASF's part, does that mean a team that's X small coed can still, in practice, compete for a Worlds bid in the small coed division (since they still meet the all the requirements in terms of #of athletes/# of males)?

I have two questions:
1.) Why are the minimum number of athletes for the all-girl and coed Worlds divisions different?

2.) Given question 1 has a legitimate answer and not just a typo on USASF's part, does that mean a team that's X small coed can still, in practice, compete for a Worlds bid in the small coed division (since they still meet the all the requirements in terms of #of athletes/# of males)?

Because if you had 8 males on a team of 20 that would put you in medium coed and not small because you have more males then the small team allows.

Because if you had 8 males on a team of 20 that would put you in medium coed and not small because you have more males then the small team allows.
Wait... huh? For questions 2, I was referring to X small coed (that won't be a Worlds division) and small coed (a Worlds division). Technically, X small coed fulfils the requirements of a small coed team (5-14 members, which is within the minimum and maximum allowable number of athletes in small coed at 5-22 members; 1-2 males, which is also within the minimum and maximum allowable number of male athletes in small coed at 1-4 males).

So my question being whether X small coed could compete for World bids in the small coed division? Or do teams have to "declare" at the beginning of the season?

Wait... huh? For questions 2, I was referring to X small coed (that won't be a Worlds division) and small coed (a Worlds division). Technically, X small coed fulfils the requirements of a small coed team (5-14 members, which is within the minimum and maximum allowable number of athletes in small coed at 5-22 members; 1-2 males, which is also within the minimum and maximum allowable number of male athletes in small coed at 1-4 males).

So my question being whether X small coed could compete for World bids in the small coed division? Or do teams have to "declare" at the beginning of the season?

I don't know the answer to question 2, I was answering question 1 since you didn't specify divisions in that.
Males are basically the deciding factor in size long as you don't exceed the top number of total athletes.
That's why it's different for coed and all girl.

Sorry I didn't realize you were asking something different. Just disregard my comment then.

I don't know the answer to question 2, I was answering question 1 since you didn't specify divisions in that.
Males are basically the deciding factor in size long as you don't exceed the top number of total athletes.
That's why it's different for coed and all girl.

Sorry I didn't realize you were asking something different. Just disregard my comment then.
Oh no, I get that (the number of males determining the size of the team part)... but like, how come coed teams have the same minimum number for total athletes AND males (both 5 and 1 respectively)?

Shouldn't the number of males have a bracket range too? Like 1-2 for X small coed, 3-5 for small coed, 6-8 for medium cord and 9-19 for large coed?

Otherwise, a maxed out X small coed team with 14 members, 2 of which are males, could compete as part of the large coed division (they are within range)? At the end of the day, scores are based on ratio anyway, right? And you'd probably have an easier time trying to qualify for finals at Worlds in a division with fewer teams. Plus, you go straight to semis even with just an at-large bid for the large divisions.

I have two questions:

its an either or both situation- if you have 15 athletes you can't be extra small, if you have 3 males you can't be extra small
as in if you have 3 males and 5 girls you still go in the small division, if you have 1 male and 37 girls, you still go in the large coed or you could have 14 boys and no girls and be large coed

Oh, Wow! I thought I read the new Youth age was 8-11 for 2018 season... Wouldn't the 6-11 age grid overlap too much with a Mini?

Perhaps it is considering small gyms who can't field both a mini and a youth? Our old gym hasn't had a mini team in several years, but they have had both tiny and youth teams.

its an either or both situation- if you have 15 athletes you can't be extra small, if you have 3 males you can't be extra small
as in if you have 3 males and 5 girls you still go in the small division, if you have 1 male and 37 girls, you still go in the large coed or you could have 14 boys and no girls and be large coed
But according to the table, if you have 3 boys and 5 girls, you are eligible for small coed, medium coed and large coed? Is this a typo on USASF's part?

But according to the table, if you have 3 boys and 5 girls, you are eligible for small coed, medium coed and large coed? Is this a typo on USASF's part?
I'd imagine there has to be some typos on the grid? There are different ranges for Male vs AG, seems highly unlikely they would allow dor 8 kids to compete medium? Im confused if there is a minimum of 15 for Small for AG, how is that going to work for small gyms that have a Small Senior 5 AG but only have say 14 athletes with 3 stunt groups. Are they now wiped out of Worlds or can they compete as small still. According to the grid, they cannot? That seems crazy to me...

Still confused why there is even an extra small level 5? They aren't a worlds team. Do they go to summit?

The age grid shows Different minimums for AG & Co-Ed. If there isn't a typo, does that mean if you can't field a team of 15 girls, you are not worlds eligible but if you can field a team of 8 girls and 1 male you can compete as small and be Worlds eligible? Seems strange and wrong. There are many AG small teams with less than 15 girls..

I'd imagine there has to be some typos on the grid? There are different ranges for Male vs AG, seems highly unlikely they would allow dor 8 kids to compete medium? Im confused if there is a minimum of 15 for Small for AG, how is that going to work for small gyms that have a Small Senior 5 AG but only have say 14 athletes with 3 stunt groups. Are they now wiped out of Worlds or can they compete as small still. According to the grid, they cannot? That seems crazy to me...

My question also...so no more lucky 7 at worlds for example?

Back