25+ Cheering

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 11, 2014
For my active cheerleaders over age 25? How have you all found gyms or teams to cheer on or practice tumbling?

I love cheering (have been doing it 10+ years now), but after graduating college, I have had trouble finding places that 1) have gyms where 18+ are allowed to practice 2) open teams that I can join

Has anybody started their own? What did it take?

I've been doing open teams since I was 20 or so. This is my 7th year on a level 6 team. Hasn't been too hard to find gyms, but I bounced around for a few years before finding this gym which I've been at for 4 years.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Hey everyone! I'm a newbie here and am 24 (but will be 25 in less than a month) and I currently cheer on an 18+ charity cheer team, Cheer Los Angeles. We are a part of the Pride Cheerleading Association which has many teams all over the country that are all 18+ non-profit volunteer teams with an emphasis on raising money and spirits for different beneficiaries through cheer performances. I personally do not have the skills necessary to be on most open teams since most are level 6 and I myself was facing the same problem as many when trying to continue cheering after high school and college until I found this team. I would suggest looking for team like mine that may not be a competitive open team, but that still does competition/collegiate style stunt/pom routines. And hey if you can't find one, why not try starting your own?! If you have any questions or would like more info on the PCA teams just PM me! Hope this is helpful!

CHEERS!

I have a question when trying out for an open team thats a 5 but you dont have level 5 skills do they still place u on the team similar to as if you were still eligible for a non open team or do they just cut you?

I have a question when trying out for an open team thats a 5 but you dont have level 5 skills do they still place u on the team similar to as if you were still eligible for a non open team or do they just cut you?

I'm not sure what you mean? Like do they take you anyway? It depends on the team. There's only so many open divisions so they can't just take anyone that tries out and make a new team if they have to. Some open teams aren't quite level appropriate, but it's the only division they can be in. Or they'll take you if you have level 5 stunting but not tumbling. And some teams are so competitive that they have more than enough level appropriate talent that they'll just cut you.

I'm not sure what you mean? Like do they take you anyway? It depends on the team. There's only so many open divisions so they can't just take anyone that tries out and make a new team if they have to. Some open teams aren't quite level appropriate, but it's the only division they can be in. Or they'll take you if you have level 5 stunting but not tumbling. And some teams are so competitive that they have more than enough level appropriate talent that they'll just cut you.
Yeah thats what i meant like i know for alot of allstar gyms their tryouts arent tryouts as much as their evaluations but i was wondering if it was the same for open teams but thanks u answered my question :)

I'm mid-thirties and still cheering. I've been with my club for about 10 years, but it's harder if there aren't any in your area. I tumble both at the gym and in adult gymnastic classes at local gymnastic gyms. The nice thing about the adult classes is that they tend to gear them to whatever you want to work on.

I'd suggest talking to you local clubs and seeing if there is interest from others. My first year of all-star, we had 6 people at tryouts. I joined a different team. We got word out and had a full team the next year. Start talking to people in the sport who might be interested and local clubs who would be willing to have a team. Remember that open teams make little to no cash for gyms, as they're the most likely to quit mid season (life gets in the way) or not have fees in on time due to other bills being due. There's not a lot of incentive for many gyms to start open teams for those reasons. Good luck getting something going!!

I'm mid-thirties and still cheering. I've been with my club for about 10 years, but it's harder if there aren't any in your area. I tumble both at the gym and in adult gymnastic classes at local gymnastic gyms. The nice thing about the adult classes is that they tend to gear them to whatever you want to work on.

I'd suggest talking to you local clubs and seeing if there is interest from others. My first year of all-star, we had 6 people at tryouts. I joined a different team. We got word out and had a full team the next year. Start talking to people in the sport who might be interested and local clubs who would be willing to have a team. Remember that open teams make little to no cash for gyms, as they're the most likely to quit mid season (life gets in the way) or not have fees in on time due to other bills being due. There's not a lot of incentive for many gyms to start open teams for those reasons. Good luck getting something going!!

Thanks all! very helpful! i'm inspired to get started!

Back