All-Star Advice For Flyers

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

tricial4

Cheer Parent
Feb 6, 2013
I thought it would be good to start a thread where flyers could give advice to younger or newer flyers. My daughter is moving from Jr2 to Jr3. Looking for tips, training, conditioning that you find helpful with your flying skills. She is doing pretty good in increasing her flexibility through stretching, recommendations on practicing "staying tight" and maybe core strengthening.

Moving to L3 is a big change in stunting. It seems like most people these days focus mostly on flexibility, but that's only half the battle. Without knowing any specifics it is kind of hard to offer many recommendations other than what is always repeated here, but I'll try! If you have any specific questions it is a lot easier to give tips. Good luck to your CP!

Good posture helps to keep a top in the air. Pull up through the ribs, elongate the spine, drop the shoulders, and chin up. Look at ballet posture to get a visual. Another thing that I find really important, but often overlooked, is glute strength. Strong core helps a ton, but hip and glute strength makes a huge difference IMO. I'm not sure how to embed videos from the app, so if this doesn't work search "fire hydrant exercise" on YouTube. Another variation on that exercise is to start on hands and knees and extend one leg backwards, like in an arabesque, then pull it back in to a bent position. And always do all stretches/exercises on both legs. I really like the app Sworkit because you can customize workouts to include strength in certain body areas or stretching and it makes it a bit more fun.

Moving to L3 is a big change in stunting. It seems like most people these days focus mostly on flexibility, but that's only half the battle. Without knowing any specifics it is kind of hard to offer many recommendations other than what is always repeated here, but I'll try! If you have any specific questions it is a lot easier to give tips. Good luck to your CP!

Good posture helps to keep a top in the air. Pull up through the ribs, elongate the spine, drop the shoulders, and chin up. Look at ballet posture to get a visual. Another thing that I find really important, but often overlooked, is glute strength. Strong core helps a ton, but hip and glute strength makes a huge difference IMO. I'm not sure how to embed videos from the app, so if this doesn't work search "fire hydrant exercise" on YouTube. Another variation on that exercise is to start on hands and knees and extend one leg backwards, like in an arabesque, then pull it back in to a bent position. And always do all stretches/exercises on both legs. I really like the app Sworkit because you can customize workouts to include strength in certain body areas or stretching and it makes it a bit more fun.

Thanks for the suggestions! I agree with you about the flexibility- the conditioning and building the core strength is sometimes missing. I think especially in the age 10-11 age group when the girls are changing from "little girl" bodies to preteen, sometimes they havent built a lot of core strength and firmed up the entire girdle area.

make sure she stretches on BOTH sides! stretching one side can cause major problems in your back. I made the mistake of stretching on just my dominant leg and now my back is messed up and i tumble crooked :(

Thank you for the advice and video! Good stuff:rolleyes: Anyone else have something to share?

My advice is be willing to try. I think level 2-3 is a big difference in stunts, especially w/ extended single leg.. she needs to think wait until the top and take the ride and wait to pull the skill. I think I see flyers pulling the skill too early like the stop is still at prep level and the group needs the extra time to get extended.

Also, she will be doing some full downs so again, do not be afraid, it is a different position.

One of our family favorites (can't post the original video as it has a copyright, but this video shows all the workouts with the voiceover from the original)...

Firstly congrats to your CP - that's awesome! :) This year I moved up from level 2 to level 3 as well, and these are the things I found most helpful for me.

1. The most important thing I found with a lot of level 3 skills is to WAIT (this is something I struggled a lot with at the start). Things like full ups, full downs, switch ups and trick baskets only work if you wait until you're at the top to pull the skill so I find it helpful to think in my head '1, 2, down up WAIT, then go' if that makes sense :)

2. Try to imagine your body is in a "tube" - i.e. keep your butt tucked in and pull up in a nice straight line when at extension. It's very easy to get away with bad posture in level 2, but at extension it's super important to pull up and keep everything in alignment.

3. Finally just let her know to be confident and have fun. Once I stopped being scared of trying new things and believing that I could do them it made a world of difference... and now I'm having so much fun! Level 3 is such an awesome level... I can't believe how much creativity and variety of stunts is possible. Good luck to her!

They have been practicing the level 3 stunts for a few days and she was so excited the other day when she did a full down "doesn't that deserve a Dairy Queen" LOL! So far so good...doing good on stretching still having to work on staying tight.

Latest posts

Back