All-Star After The Rings Globes And Titles Then What?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

This. Cheer is suffering from serious apex fallacy-based judgment. Didn't Jody tell us that classes are where the money lies? And tumbleyoda let us all know that the fact that a gym's apparel and choreo are on fleek every year and they compete at Worlds/Summit does not mean that their books aren't in the red, or that the staff is even getting paid? All stability lies in the base.

Now might also be a good time for people to be reminded that the potential cheer parents of 4-8 might not be so inclined to cheer if the first thing they see is excessively skimpy uniforms and sexual choreography.

I guarantee you that there are PLENTY of parents who enjoy skimpy uniforms, heavy make-up, and inappropriate moves by their littles. Many, many of the moms of young athletes push for those things. The older kids/parents are much more likely to hit the brakes on those things in my experience. The moms of the young ones are desperate for a more mature experience for their kids. Just look at their pictures on social media...it's shocking. In a recent gym photoshoot, my kid looked like a kid on her photos (she's 15) and the young ones look like they're on Toddlers and Tiaras.

I'm creating this thread to discuss something I have noticed more and more in this industry. This sport that I love and have been in for a while has become more focused on getting rings and globes and not us enjoying our common love for the sport. I remember the days before events like the summit and worlds where people competed for the joy of competing! Now a days with social media the sport has turned more into a status thing. It's like if you aren't on a level 5 team that is globing each year then you really aren't a part of the sport. My team just got back from the summit it's our first year going after a bid to the summit we received a wild card bid back in November and my athletes where over the moon as our team goal was to go to the summit! We competed this past Friday and hit a zero deduction routine we got 5th out of the 13 teams and missed moving to day 2 by less than two points. My athletes and their families where very happy and so was I as a coach! Today I found out that an athlete who left our gym a few years ago texted one of the athletes on my team and said "did your team make it to the REAL day at summit?" I assumed by "real day" she meant finals. So it made me think is this what we as a industry and coaches are teaching these young athletes? Unless you are making it to finals, getting a ring, are a level 5 athlete, and so on than you are some how less than. Lots of athletes in this sport will never make it to the summit or to finals at worlds or even on to a level 5 team. Should we make those athletes feel like their accomplishments are somehow just quite not good enough because they didn't get a ring at the end of their journey? I wish there where more focus on the little guys in this sport and not so much focus on how many rings someone is walking around with on their hands. Because there's so much more to take from this sport than rings, globes, and titles!
I know there were a lot of fifth place teams at Summit, but could you be EAS Chrome? Regardless, to even get to the Summit is a big deal, finishing top half in your division is an even bigger deal. Don't let anybody take away from your hard work all year.

It is the Parents who drive the non drivers hours round trip to be in "that team". Yes sometimes it's the parents who make the kids feel like they have to be on the 5 team or else and yes some gyms cater to those teams when they should also be looking at the kids who will eventually be on the 5 team. That's the business unfortunately.h

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
not sure if the driving comment is directed to me but just to give my opinion on that subject I drive my daughter to be " on that team" not for the glory but to keep her at the top of her game mentally and physically.
i also have not found a gym closer that can match with professionalism and quality safe instruction.
I also drive my kid instead of having her live with a host family. School and ethics come first in our household.

not sure if the driving comment is directed to me but just to give my opinion on that subject I drive my daughter to be " on that team" not for the glory but to keep her at the top of her game mentally and physically.
i also have not found a gym closer that can match with professionalism and quality safe instruction.
I also drive my kid instead of having her live with a host family. School and ethics come first in our household.
Not directed at anyone. I am just saying some parents decide to drive a long distance to be on a certain team and some do not, that's all. I have no idea even where u live much less what team u r involved with. Personal choice for any cheer family. [emoji1]

All great points. There's definitely a culture being created where winning big titles and being "known" are a driving force. I haven't personally experienced it at our gym and I'm thankful that our owners and coaches aim for personal bests and not titles. However, the longer I'm here and the more I see on social media, the more I realize I'm in a cheer bubble.

The way I see it, gyms feel the pressure to be the best (coming from parents who threaten to walk if they don't get their own way and from wanting to be like "successful" gyms who appear to have it all). However, parents see what other gyms are doing and want to be part of the "best" and some push their kids to succeed but at great cost (financially, socially, emotionally and physically). It's like parallel circles but they don't intertwine.

Balance is missing. There's nothing wrong be being successful and winning but L5 shouldn't outshine L1-4. Tiny - Youth kids are the bread and butter. As parents we're the ones who get suckered into buying the gym apparel at the pro shops and pop-up stores, buying the latest shoe that promises to make them Suzie tumbler sprinkled with unicorn dust, pay up for clinics and camps, overnight lock-ins, travel expenses that add up over the years and so much more. Parents can caught up in the hype and lose focus.

I feel for gyms and the pressures that are put on them. I've yet to hear of a single gym that opened because they felt that owning a gym was a cash cow for easy money. As business owners they need customers to keep the doors open, and will try to give the customers the experience they "appear" to demand. Somewhere along the lines I think communication has broken down between many gyms and parents. Some parents were coming across as SM/SD's and gyms circled the wagons and didn't want to deal with the crazies! Not all parents are like that but sadly, all it takes is for a few bad apples to spoil it for everybody else.

I can't help but wonder if gyms and parents are now making assumptions, but never really sat down to talk about it to find out what each really wants or assumes. Wondrous to think what could happen if gyms and parents starting talking!

I feel for gyms and the pressures that are put on them. I've yet to hear of a single gym that opened because they felt that owning a gym was a cash cow for easy money.

It happens. Some gym's are more concerned with turning a profit than being successful. Not paying for choreography, hiring subpar instructors and coaches, no new equipment, inadequate music, etc. I have heard some horror stories, how much of that is rumor, I have no idea, but it has to happen.

It happens. Some gym's are more concerned with turning a profit than being successful. Not paying for choreography, hiring subpar instructors and coaches, no new equipment, inadequate music, etc. I have heard some horror stories, how much of that is rumor, I have no idea, but it has to happen.
But that's different then what I was saying. I was referring to when they first started and opened the gym or 1st location (not including franchises and expansions). Once they were in it, taking on those extras to turn a profit...yes, or neglecting what they should be paying for and maintaining...yes, but to start out that way from the ground up with that business model??? That's completely different.

Most start a business because it's something they enjoy or are passionate about.

All great points. There's definitely a culture being created where winning big titles and being "known" are a driving force. I haven't personally experienced it at our gym and I'm thankful that our owners and coaches aim for personal bests and not titles. However, the longer I'm here and the more I see on social media, the more I realize I'm in a cheer bubble.

The way I see it, gyms feel the pressure to be the best (coming from parents who threaten to walk if they don't get their own way and from wanting to be like "successful" gyms who appear to have it all). However, parents see what other gyms are doing and want to be part of the "best" and some push their kids to succeed but at great cost (financially, socially, emotionally and physically). It's like parallel circles but they don't intertwine.

Balance is missing. There's nothing wrong be being successful and winning but L5 shouldn't outshine L1-4. Tiny - Youth kids are the bread and butter. As parents we're the ones who get suckered into buying the gym apparel at the pro shops and pop-up stores, buying the latest shoe that promises to make them Suzie tumbler sprinkled with unicorn dust, pay up for clinics and camps, overnight lock-ins, travel expenses that add up over the years and so much more. Parents can caught up in the hype and lose focus.

I feel for gyms and the pressures that are put on them. I've yet to hear of a single gym that opened because they felt that owning a gym was a cash cow for easy money. As business owners they need customers to keep the doors open, and will try to give the customers the experience they "appear" to demand. Somewhere along the lines I think communication has broken down between many gyms and parents. Some parents were coming across as SM/SD's and gyms circled the wagons and didn't want to deal with the crazies! Not all parents are like that but sadly, all it takes is for a few bad apples to spoil it for everybody else.

I can't help but wonder if gyms and parents are now making assumptions, but never really sat down to talk about it to find out what each really wants or assumes. Wondrous to think what could happen if gyms and parents starting talking!
But that's different then what I was saying. I was referring to when they first started and opened the gym or 1st location (not including franchises and expansions). Once they were in it, taking on those extras to turn a profit...yes, or neglecting what they should be paying for and maintaining...yes, but to start out that way from the ground up with that business model??? That's completely different.

Most start a business because it's something they enjoy or are passionate about.
Most yes, but I know it happens. :)

@notimeforthat I drive too! My oldest CP is very happy as a level 4 at our local small gym. My youngest CP although quiet, is very competitive, driven, and goal oriented. So, I drive over 1 1/2 hours one ways for her to be at the gym she loves. Driving to a local gym and an out of town gym can be crazy at times, but it works for us.

My thing is.... When I first started cheering, I didn't care about winning, I literally just wanted to cheer, and I still only want to cheer, BUT as I progress more, I'll feel as though I'm more qualified to cheer on more elite teams around the country, but even then, it'll be "I just wanna cheer" but (if I were to make it to these elite teams) as I continue to cheer on those teams for 2+ plus years, I would expect my hard work (and team's) to pay off this placing in finals/ top three/ globing or getting jackets/rings. Not sure about everyone else, but I still think the awards are earned, not deserved, and that's what a lot of people have messed up in this sport.

Excuse the one who has only been in the cheer AS area for now 3 years, but I'm not so sure it's always the gym's fault. As a Tiny/Mini mom and having been through a few programs (thank you Army) I can say without any hesitation that the stress I see PARENTS place on these kids, is far, far outdone by anything I've seen coaches place on these kids. By the time they're youth aged, all they want to do is win bigger and bigger because their mom (sometimes dad too) started into this sport knowing nothing but by the end of the first year is now hungry for their child to always be the winner.
Now I'm thinking back to Jody's comment about how CA would take more teams to Spirit Celebration and other EPs if the parents weren't so hell bent upon their kids going to Summit. So true about parental pressure.

I aged out in 2014 on a senior 3 team with a 7th place summit finish and I couldn't be happier about it. Even though I was at a big gym, my coaches never pressured us about winning and it was definitely more about the progress and the journey. I wouldn't be half the person I am today without that and I feel bad for kids who aren't training in that type of environment. Yes, winning is important but it isn't everything and I think that is a crucial life lesson

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My daughter sat this year out for the first time in 7 years and has been absolutely miserable. She's missed being part of a team, the hard work, the friendships and strong bonds built, the discipline and structure, the excitement of competition and performance.... Never once has she said she missed winning and I'm so thankful for that. It's a struggle for me but she's trying out this year because I know she really needs this sport in her life for all the right reasons.

ETA: She has one jacket from 6 years of competition and that was because they were the only ones in their division at the comp, so it's definitely not for the winning lol

Last edited:
I guarantee you that there are PLENTY of parents who enjoy skimpy uniforms, heavy make-up, and inappropriate moves by their littles. Many, many of the moms of young athletes push for those things. The older kids/parents are much more likely to hit the brakes on those things in my experience. The moms of the young ones are desperate for a more mature experience for their kids. Just look at their pictures on social media...it's shocking. In a recent gym photoshoot, my kid looked like a kid on her photos (she's 15) and the young ones look like they're on Toddlers and Tiaras.
I've heard this too. I think it also contributes to why nobody seems to want to be "that parent" and suggest that their team doesn't spend $100+ on blinged out custom practice wear, or buy 2-3 uniforms in a single season.

Back