All-Star All About Duo Basing:)

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 2, 2011
Okay, so my group at my gym on 4 and 5 had a secondary base get injured so now we have to do the whole stunt with just two bases. We are really strong and experienced and we are a really solid group, but we don't know the grips or anything. My coaches haven't ever really taught anything other than your basic straight up to lib with just two people basing...

So this thread is dedicated to showing us (and those like us) what to so. Pictures, videos, descriptions, anything. Tell us what we need to know. From full ups to tick rocks to hitch ups. Tell us how the big dogs do it.
Help a brother out? :)

Main base grabs the heel and middle of the foot. Side base grabs toe and ankle. The side acts like the main base in all girl groups (throwing the foot in switch ups/spinning the flier or full ups) and the main base throws waist and catches at the top. The flier has to be more conscious of standing straight up since there are only 4 hands in her instead of 6 or 8.

Main base grabs the heel and middle of the foot. Side base grabs toe and ankle. The side acts like the main base in all girl groups (throwing the foot in switch ups/spinning the flier or full ups) and the main base throws waist and catches at the top. The flier has to be more conscious of standing straight up since there are only 4 hands in her instead of 6 or 8.

moreoverthree Just to clarify. When talking "two man" stunting, the main is the person under the stunt and the side is the person that is in the traditional group stunt main base location.

379984_10150461843975827_109977885826_8623720_1680610552_n.jpg

I might be wrong but I am fairly certain that you have to have ahold of the ankle during the stunt. I believe that Kc Cheer's SO5 team got called for it last year at NCA.

According to my interpretation, and I'd appreciate clarification if I'm wrong, the base must have at least one hand under the top person's foot and the spotter may hold either the top person's ankle(s) and/or the bases wrist.

Okay, so my group at my gym on 4 and 5 had a secondary base get injured so now we have to do the whole stunt with just two bases. We are really strong and experienced and we are a really solid group, but we don't know the grips or anything. My coaches haven't ever really taught anything other than your basic straight up to lib with just two people basing...

So this thread is dedicated to showing us (and those like us) what to so. Pictures, videos, descriptions, anything. Tell us what we need to know. From full ups to tick rocks to hitch ups. Tell us how the big dogs do it.
Help a brother out? :)

There will be an article coming out soon on USASFRules.com about this.

I'm pretty sure an ankle hold is required in unassisted stunting.

It's not unassisted if there is an ankle hold. Spotters are not required to touch stunts while they are up, but are often required to help catch a cradle. If the spot does touch a stunt they need to do it in a way that doesn't make them a base.

It's not unassisted if there is an ankle hold. Spotters are not required to touch stunts while they are up, but are often required to help catch a cradle. If the spot does touch a stunt they need to do it in a way that doesn't make them a base.
I meant to say assisted there. I'm completely brain dead right now...finals right after Battle Under the Big Top.

According to my interpretation, and I'd appreciate clarification if I'm wrong, the base must have at least one hand under the top person's foot and the spotter may hold either the top person's ankle(s) and/or the bases wrist.
For highschool that is true. For all star, one hand under the foot doesn't make you a base.

In all star, the "side" SPOTTER must grab the ankle. You cannot have BOTH hands on the foot. Not saying I agree with this grip rule, but it is the rule. If that "spotter" puts both hands on the foot, they become a base, and then there is no spotter. And there is a required spotter for every extended stunt, even in level 5. So IF you touch the stunt and you are NOT the main base, one of your hands NEEDS to be on the ankle, back of calf, whatever. Cannot just be on the foot. If you have TWO hands, ONE may touch the foot, but one MUST touch the ankle. I hope that makes sense haha. I have had to explain that penalty so many times, I tend to over-explain now!!

In all star, the "side" SPOTTER must grab the ankle. You cannot have BOTH hands on the foot. Not saying I agree with this grip rule, but it is the rule. If that "spotter" puts both hands on the foot, they become a base, and then there is no spotter. And there is a required spotter for every extended stunt, even in level 5. So IF you touch the stunt and you are NOT the main base, one of your hands NEEDS to be on the ankle, back of calf, whatever. Cannot just be on the foot. If you have TWO hands, ONE may touch the foot, but one MUST touch the ankle. I hope that makes sense haha. I have had to explain that penalty so many times, I tend to over-explain now!!

The spotter does not have to touch the stunt.

Correct....I was trying to get that across by saying IF you touch. Sorry if I was not clear ;) Just wanted to explain why you have to touch the ankle IF you touch at all. But yes, you do not HAVE to touch at all, you still remain a spotter that way.

Back