OT All College Girls!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Jul 29, 2010
What do y'all wear to class? Do you dress up at all?
And more importantly, what do you wear your first day for classes??

I wore denim cutoffs (mid-thigh length), flip flops, and a fitted tee to my first day of classes. By the time it started getting colder I'd given up on pants altogether, you were lucky if I swapped my pyjama pants for sweats, most of the time I just rolled out of bed and pulled my sweats on over my pjs :oops: Some girls still dress up a lot (dresses, matching shoes, accessories, bag) , most don't really care (jeans, hoodie, tee) and some (like me) are total lost causes. If in doubt, it's better to cover up than be revealing, you are in a learning environment after all. Some libraries and classrooms can be ridiculously cold as well, so always bring a light-weight cardigan or similar.

I have a big pashmina scarf which I use as a nanna blanket for my legs in cold lectures (plus it folds up nice and small). It comes in handy more during summer and when I lived in a warmer state, in winter I'm usually already wearing it! Easy comfy things are best :)

It really depends on the university. At the one I went to, once you got into the swing of college everyone was too lazy to dress up......therefore anyone that tried too hard was easily spotted as a freshmen. Nike shorts, University t-shirt and cute tennis shoes with minimal makeup (natural and clean looking) were the outfit of choice until it got a little cooler . If it's a big campus, you'll be walking all over from class to class so wear comfy shoes. You'll also be sitting in a chair for long periods of time during each lecture, so again comfy is key. I'd say to avoid anything too overly plastered with brands as well (hollister tees, american eagle polos, etc.) as it'll make you look younger.

Number 1 recommendation: Don't try too hard.

I agree with everyone above me! It really just depends on the school your going to. The majority of college girls wear Nike shorts with either a Sorority t shirt (oversize of course), a school t shirt, or like an athletic t shirt. When it gets colder its all about leggings and long sleeve t shirts. On rainy days you of course add the adorable rain boots with your leggings. Honestly though as long as you are comfortable in what your wearing and your not trying to hard you'll be good! You'll want to have on comfy shoes with all the walking you'll be doing, I see a lot of girls wearing either running shoes or like Nike trainers in cool colors. Like I said, every school is different and you'll figure out what everyone is wearing by the second day. For your first day just don't overdress like you would in high school for class!

I usually dress up for my first few days. After that it's a hoodie and jeans until I have the energy or time to dress up again. Yes, people at my school dress up, some everyday, but that's because most of them are from long island/NYC area. I'd agree with the every college is different thing though. Just be yourself whatever you do. College is a time where you get to find out who you really are. It's nothing like high school. Just do what you want. (but be safe and smart!) college is a blast! :) but def have a few cute outfits on hand!

I went to school outside of NYC and it was a even mix of sweatpants and cute outfits. I always got dressed up because I find it easier to put together an outfit than to pick out sweats. Plus, I have a huge wardrobe and if I didn't wear my clothes to class I would never have a chance to wear them. I even wore heels pretty often.

I went to school outside of NYC and it was a even mix of sweatpants and cute outfits. I always got dressed up because I find it easier to put together an outfit than to pick out sweats. Plus, I have a huge wardrobe and if I didn't wear my clothes to class I would never have a chance to wear them. I even wore heels pretty often.

I'm the same way, I have so many cute clothes but very little pairs of sweats and sweatshirts. I'm going to a small private school in Kansas so I feel like if I dress up I'll stick out like a sore thumb!

I'm the same way, I have so many cute clothes but very little pairs of sweats and sweatshirts. I'm going to a small private school in Kansas so I feel like if I dress up I'll stick out like a sore thumb!
My school was a small private university in NJ. You can feel it out when you get there. However, I also liked getting dressed because you never know who you're going to run into. I would rather look professional all the time than look like a slob.

My school was a small private school too, and there were 1, maybe 2 girls who dressed to the 9's every. single. day. The other 98% of us thought they were crazy. Most just wore jeans/leggings/shorts, etc. Nothing special. Yoga pants/sweats were staples for early classes after a game (most kids in my program were athletes) and for Friday morning classes especially. ALWAYS dress up for presentations of any kind, though. I tell my hs-ers that now and they throw a fit, but you come across so much better if you're dressed professionally.

I did however hear that the year after I graduated my program (Sport Management) instituted a dress code of sorts that stated no sweats/leggings/yoga pants etc. They wanted you to be business-casual or more at all times I guess. I'm not sure how strict they were with it, but I was a bit surprised they did that.

Within the first week I'd say you'll be able to tell how the general dress code is for your school. Good luck!

Better to stick out for looking better than for looking under dressed! I went to a small private school in IL and there were some kids that wore sweatpants to class, but it was rare. Most people (including myself) didn't necessarily "dress up" for classes, but they'd dress in nice, casual clothes (basic dresses, jeans, cardigans, etc). I dressed like this even at my community college... But I'd never wear sweatpants, soffees, or oversized t-shirts to class. Any comfort that that outfit would bring is cancelled out by how sloppy I feel.

Better to stick out for looking better than for looking under dressed! I went to a small private school in IL and there were some kids that wore sweatpants to class, but it was rare. Most people (including myself) didn't necessarily "dress up" for classes, but they'd dress in nice, casual clothes (basic dresses, jeans, cardigans, etc). I dressed like this even at my community college... But I'd never wear sweatpants, soffees, or oversized t-shirts to class. Any comfort that that outfit would bring is cancelled out by how sloppy I feel.

So I'm not crazy! I only own two pairs of sweat pants and people look at me like I'm psycho when I tell them that. I dressed up everyday in HS because I had two teaching internships through my school and we were required to dress nicely so I have tons of nice clothes. I have a ton of leggings that I will probably put to good use but I feel like that's as sloppy looking as I will get!

Jeans and a t-shirt. It doesn't get more simple than that. You will always have people that go overboard and dress up, and then people that look like they just crawled out of bed (which they may have).

True story: I ran into one of my friends on campus on a Friday morning. She was wearing the same jeans as the night before, and she had been with a large group drinking excessively. When she turned around, someone had written on her butt in sharpie after she fell asleep. When I pointed it out, she shrugged and went to class. She was like "oh, that'll be funny to explain to people!"
In high school, everyone would have laughed and made fun of her and brought it up constantly. In college, nobody really cares at all, especially if it's a funny story.

Back