OT Any Special Needs Teachers, Or Any Teachers Out There?!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Jul 29, 2010
Hi:) I have posted before about the internship I do with my school and teaching special needs students, and I would love y'alls help again! We have been assigned to do a DI lesson, and I am stuck. I want to do worksheet activity and then a game to go with it. These are high school aged kids (10th-12th grade) and their abilities range from kindergarten to third grade! I was thinking about doing math since I did comm arts last time, but I am open to anything! All help is greatly appreciated!:)

Hi:) I have posted before about the internship I do with my school and teaching special needs students, and I would love y'alls help again! We have been assigned to do a DI lesson, and I am stuck. I want to do worksheet activity and then a game to go with it. These are high school aged kids (10th-12th grade) and their abilities range from kindergarten to third grade! I was thinking about doing math since I did comm arts last time, but I am open to anything! All help is greatly appreciated!:)
When's it due? My mother's the Special Ed Director and the Special Ed Math teacher at a high school and I'm sure she'd be able to help. I've been working with special needs kids for a few years sporadically, but I'm more of an English/LA person, math is not my strong suit at all, otherwise I'd help too! Feel free to PM if you have any specific questions I can send along to mi madre!

Hate to be stupid, but what's a DI lesson?

When's it due? My mother's the Special Ed Director and the Special Ed Math teacher at a high school and I'm sure she'd be able to help. I've been working with special needs kids for a few years sporadically, but I'm more of an English/LA person, math is not my strong suit at all, otherwise I'd help too! Feel free to PM if you have any specific questions I can send along to mi madre!

It's due whenever I schedule it:) But I figured one out and got it approved last night!

I'm giving them a worksheet on patterns, and there are three different worksheets of varying difficulty that I will pass out to them accordingly. And after that, we are going to make a pattern with all of the kids in the class using stars and diamonds that they get to color!

So it's similar to an IEP (Individual Education Plan) then.

Not exactly. An IEP is a legally binding document that outlines a student's goals and how those goals will be met. Differentiated Instruction is one way to deliver a lesson. It could be teaching a lesson to the whole group and then giving each kid a practice worksheet that is tailored to their abilities and needs. It could also be splitting the class into groups based on abilities and meeting with each group to individually teach a skill/concept at their level (i.e.: the big skill is addition....Group 1 could be working on single digit addition with sums up to 18, Group 2 could be working on 2 digit addition with out regrouping, and Group 3 could be working on 2 digit addition with regrouping).

Not exactly. An IEP is a legally binding document that outlines a student's goals and how those goals will be met. Differentiated Instruction is one way to deliver a lesson. It could be teaching a lesson to the whole group and then giving each kid a practice worksheet that is tailored to their abilities and needs. It could also be splitting the class into groups based on abilities and meeting with each group to individually teach a skill/concept at their level (i.e.: the big skill is addition....Group 1 could be working on single digit addition with sums up to 18, Group 2 could be working on 2 digit addition with out regrouping, and Group 3 could be working on 2 digit addition with regrouping).

Excellent explanation. Thanks.

Back