All-Star Anybody Else Dislike The ''cheerlebrity'' Phenomenon?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Right, so thats not your fault that people notice and adore you. It just happens.
If you put yourself out there, people are going to notice. That's why I never understand people who say "They didn't want it" when there is multiple videos on youtube that they put on there. Like 2x2's..you know that it's going to go on the internet. You out yourself out there, prepare for the concequinces.

If you put yourself out there, people are going to notice. That's why I never understand people who say "They didn't want it" when there is multiple videos on youtube that they put on there. Like 2x2's..you know that it's going to go on the internet. You out yourself out there, prepare for the concequinces.

I can believe they didn't want the fame in the perspective of just putting the videos up for a close circle of people. I won't disregard the fact that some may want fame which is whatever. But if they just put up videos for their friends/family to see without any regard to gaining fame, then they did not intentionally want it.

I can believe they didn't want the fame in the perspective of just putting the videos up for a close circle of people. I won't disregard the fact that some may want fame which is whatever. But if they just put up videos for their friends/family to see without any regard to gaining fame, then they did not intentionally want it.
But there's ways of sharing videos (email anyone?) to people that are close, without putting on a website full of cheer obsessed tweens.

You don't put a video on youtube and make it public if you just wnat to share it with a "close circle of people". If that were the case put it on a private Facebook, e-mail it, or put the video on youtube under private and only allow that "close circle of people" to view it.

I really don't think the 2by2 type videos are that big of a problem, those videos are made for the parents that pay for them not just because. The meet and greets and fan pages (not talking about the creepy ones made by randoms) are the things that scream "i want attention!".

You don't put a video on youtube and make it public if you just wnat to share it with a "close circle of people". If that were the case put it on a private Facebook, e-mail it, or put the video on youtube under private and only allow that "close circle of people" to view it.

I really don't think the 2by2 type videos are that big of a problem, those videos are made for the parents that pay for them not just because. The meet and greets and fan pages (not talking about the creepy ones made by randoms) are the things that scream "i want attention!".

But there's ways of sharing videos (email anyone?) to people that are close, without putting on a website full of cheer obsessed tweens.

I agree with y'all, there are ways of sharing videos privately to friends. However, that does not hinder the fact that they may still not intentionally want the fame, the meet and greets and the rallies of people bombarding them at competitions by putting videos up on social media sites.

There are two cheerlebrities at my CP's gym

hahaha. Who and what determines which kids are "cheerlebrities" and when this title can be applied? At first this "phenomenon" was a funny thing-- none of these kids really thought they were "celebrities"--, but I could see how it's gotten to be too much, especially as our society has become increasingly attention seeking and "all about me". A lot of kids have many Twitter followers, but that doesn't mean they need to be holding autograph signings. :D

At least in other sports, "the celebrities" are usually not ever children who are amateur (unpaid) athletes... They are professionals who sign with agents and earn paychecks, prize money, and endorsement deals. Their "celebrity status" often sets them up for life, and they often use this status to do things more important than any sport, such as pumping a good amount of their earned dollars into charitable causes. But obviously very little about being a "cheerlebrity" can help prepare a kid up for adulthood. haha. I'm sure most cheerleaders can remain normal, well-rounded, and down to earth despite their "fame", but I wouldn't be surprised at all if some of these kids are really getting a false sense of reality now. Maddie had bodyguards? Seriously? That makes me feel bad for her. At least she will enjoy college in peace!

I don't really agree with it either - at the end of the day, its a team sport and surely it can bring tensions?

Thankfully it hasn't made it over here yet...

Can someone actaully confirm if maddie has a bodyguard! If its true I might be the best thing I'll hear all year

Ok well that's different, if you "claim" you didn't want the attention and you're putting videos up of yourself, or allowing others to do so, then that's seems like a personal problem to me lol. I never heard of anyone who actually did that.

Even though I've said something already, I also have a second perspective.

When pro athletes gain a sponsor, its to help the sponsor market their products. Red bull, Gatorade, Big Chew...etc. They all endorse those athletes to get people to buy their products. In the cheerleading industry, we have magazines, bow sellers, clothing sellers, people who sell items to fit a cheerleaders needs. When you see the cheerlebs in magazines, people are going to buy those magazines. When you see them wear soffee clothing or featured in a GK mag, people want those clothing items. So the cheerlebrity phenomenon is not something that the kids control but what the market controls. Celebrities are celebrities because of how the market flaunts their identities to gain attention for their companies. Now, to the people who think the cheerlebs have created this identity, i do not believe that they did. The website Home - Cheerlebrity.com wasn't made by an athlete, but rather by a major industry leader. So do not point fingers at the children because you think they have created this identity because they didn't. It is a marketing tool. A strategy that every company uses for every major sport. The reason they have chosen children because this industry is based on children. Not adults. Children make up cheerleading. Children are the ones who stay in cheerleading a majority of their youth and all those years of involvement is great for an industry leader to press their products onto the public. Children are what parents spend their money on. So the money presumably will go to the marketers.

All in all, the cheerlebrity phenomenon isn't something that the kids made. So point the fingers at the real source. Live and let live.

Ok well that's different, if you "claim" you didn't want the attention and you're putting videos up of yourself, or allowing others to do so, then that's seems like a personal problem to me lol. I never heard of anyone who actually did that.

I'm not saying Erica is like that at all. This is just an example (slash just the top of the many pages that follow) of what happens when you put yourself out there. It sucks that these are just regular girls, who are basically stalked. However, by putting videos out there showing your skills (whether it's 2by2, facebook, etc), or anything about your cheer/personal life, your giving these weirdos more to work with. It's not fair for them, but it's what happens.

I'm not saying Erica is like that at all. This is just an example (slash just the top of the many pages that follow) of what happens when you put yourself out there. It sucks that these are just regular girls, who are basically stalked. However, by putting videos out there showing your skills (whether it's 2by2, facebook, etc), or anything about your cheer/personal life, your giving these weirdos more to work with. It's not fair for them, but it's what happens.

Alright, I think I understand where you're coming from. So at this point in the game, if you're a cheerlebrity and you have all this fan junk all over the place, the cheerlebs can either keep feeding it or run away. And the ones who are feeding it shouldn't complain and stuff?

So my question is, how do you even become a cheerlebrity? Im sure none of them woke up one day like "yea, let me become the most popular person at my gym today, & blah blah blah..." lol. They didnt do it on their own. If i were a "cheerlebrity" and I came across this post, i would be a little bummed about it, actually.

Some go on twitter and Facebook and say ''i want to be a cheerlebrity so bad'' ''i want to be famous'' ''help me get followers'' and go on and on about it.

I have more of a problem with the ones begging to be one than the ones who are given the title without asking for it. I mean if they don't ask for it and people consider them a cheerlebrity they clearly deserve it. It's the forcing of it that I don't like, the me me me make me famous make me a cheerlebrity, I want to be one so bad, that I hate. And there's more and more of it.

Back