All-Star Anybody Else Dislike The ''cheerlebrity'' Phenomenon?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Speaking of Cheerlebrity, here are the Competition dates for the upcoming season!

Cheerlebrity 2012-2013 Tour Dates
Toledo, OH- Nov. 18, 2012
Dallas, TX- Dec 1 or 2, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA- Jan. 26, 2013
Louisville, KY- Feb. 9, 2013
Los Angeles, CA- Feb. 24, 2013
Columbus, OH- Mar. 10, 2013

I guess you can blame us lol; the term Cheerlebrity had been used within our circles for years. Then 2 years ago I came up with the idea for Cheerlebrity Competitions. Ask most people who have attended our events and they'll tell you it's a positive experience.

Cheerlebrity

I completely agree that people who WORK hard should get ahead...but don't all kids that excel get there by working hard? So why is Whitney Love doing meet and greets but not Cat Haley? In my opinion they are equal in all thing tumbling and Cat I would consider more rounded because she has flying skills. But Cat doesn't have 2x2 videos and lives in Maine...so is the cheerlebrity status really from hard work or just having the resources to put you face in front of people?
**OH let me edit!! I am not saying anything negative about Whitney Love, I just used her as an example because her and Cat do have similar tumbling skills. I realized after i hit post it may have come off wrong! Sorry!**

I completely agree that people who WORK hard should get ahead...but don't all kids that excel get there by working hard? So why is Whitney Love doing meet and greets but not Cat Haley? In my opinion they are equal in all thing tumbling and Cat I would consider more rounded because she has flying skills. But Cat doesn't have 2x2 videos and lives in Maine...so is the cheerlebrity status really from hard work or just having the resources to put you face in front of people?
**OH let me edit!! I am not saying anything negative about Whitney Love, I just used her as an example because her and Cat do have similar tumbling skills. I realized after i hit post it may have come off wrong! Sorry!**
I see what your saying...in this instance I would tell my kids...lifes not always fair...we gotta move on...things are never equal...but if you love the sport...it really doesn’t matter...my daughter is on Kiara’s team...and Kiara is the furthest thing from acting a cheerlebrity so it is not even an issue...Im happy for people who do well...but truthfully...who entered this sport to become famous in the cheer world?

Little girls love to love, and there's nothing more little girls love than big girls. It's a well documented sociological phenomenon in Western societies. If they're going to love someone, I don't have a problem with them looking up to girls who have reached the highest level in their sport through hard work and dedication. How much more money does the industry make from little girls wanting privates so they can tumble like Kelsey or fly like Maddie? We are ALL benefitting from this, it raises the overall athletic standard as girls strive to reach the top, and it puts money in the pockets of the entire industry.

I agree with whoever said the comment about rather having the team be recognized then the one athlete themselves. I mean if you think about it the so called "cheerlebrity" would never have become one with out his or her team backing them up :) (P.S I look up to any all star cheerleader because of the fact I was never able to do it myself :p)

I learned about Kiara Knowlin because I was searching youtube videos on tumbling and saw a spotlight video about her power tumbling. I became impressed with her, and then I found out what team she cheered for and became a fan of the team. Sure everyone works together as a team, and they should be recognized attention as a team, but sometimes the "cheerlebrities" are what bring attention to the team and/or the gym and that is not a bad thing.

If I pay $3-5K a year because my CP loves to cheer, and with all of the time and investment she becomes so good at it that smaller kids approach her for autograph's and follow her around, I think it would be well worth my investment because I know she would feel extremely proud of herself. (sorry for the long run on sentence)

You can't buy self esteem, but a little bit of fame never hurt anybody.

I find the constant name dropping that seemed to come up with the "cheerlebrity" phenomenon to be a little disturbing. Everyone is always dropping names on the boards. Why? Why do we all need to know every athletes' name? It makes everyone sound like a busy body. I try to only keep up with teams rather than the individuals on them, but it seems like there are a few athletes that are practically impossible not to know because so many people on the boards are so focused on what these kids are doing. Maybe stop focusing on cheerlebrities and these big name teams and focus on yourself, your team, and your gym for a while?

I find the constant name dropping that seemed to come up with the "cheerlebrity" phenomenon to be a little disturbing. Everyone is always dropping names on the boards. Why? Why do we all need to know every athletes' name? It makes everyone sound like a busy body. I try to only keep up with teams rather than the individuals on them, but it seems like there are a few athletes that are practically impossible not to know because so many people on the boards are so focused on what these kids are doing. Maybe stop focusing on cheerlebrities and these big name teams and focus on yourself, your team, and your gym for a while?

Whitney, Kelsey, Maddie & I were discussing this and we disagree with you.

This is nothing new to sports on the whole. Even in team sports, there is a star player. My brother is fortunate enough for that to be him this year. Last year it was a different person, and the year before that another. The attacker that you want to block so bad it hurts..the libero you want to knock a kill past. The setter you want to take out of the play because they're amazing. The QB you want to sack. The point guard you want to out-maneuver. The receiver you want to intercept. There can be individual talent in team sports, and as long as it's not sacrificing the good of the team for that one person, why not highlight that talent? If a every person on the team is as good as every other person in every aspect and only do EXACTLY the same things, that's great, but it's also probably visually boring. It's the little moments of flash from one person- be it personality, a tumbling pass, a fierce motion, a bit extra in the stunt, THOSE bits that give a routine a lil sumthin-sumthin. It doesn't make or break the routine, but it can make it better. Why do we insist on every person being as good as everybody else? We are not equal. We will not all be recognized equally. This is ok, normal, probably healthy, and a part of life. It is high time we accepted that fact and MOVE ON.

Back