OT Artistic Gymnastics

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
She'll be attending UCLA starting in the fall, so, in terms of immediate future, I doubt it. Perhaps after she's done with university? Who knows?
I doubt Simone will be attending UCLA in the fall. She's already committed to the gymnastics tour which lasts all fall. Also she originally signed with UCLA back in 2014 then gave up her eligibility when she signed with Nike and went pro. I'm hoping she will become a team manager like Jordyn Wieber did so she would still get the experience to a point but we will have to see. I think going pro was the best choice for her though since I'm sure she's already made millions with all her deals and she hasn't even hit the Olympics yet.

I love Ponor, but I feel so bad for Larisa. She's worked so hard and has basically carried the Romanian program this quad. The whole selection seems super shady and not very fair IMO. Not blaming Ponor at all, but the RGF hasn't made it seem like the most fair process

I think that it's not being unfair although Larissa DID carry team Romania this quad but she's still far from competition shape, IMO. In my mind, they're selecting someone who can, for a lack of a better word, medal and who's in better shape to compete.

I think it's fair, it's just upsetting that it came to this. If Larisa can't get past the injuries they have to go with the best option. I'm just sad for Romania in general.

Danell Leyva and Donnell Whittenburg did a lot of the carrying for the US men's team this quad too with Sam and Jake battling injuries but (barring an injury) they'll be stuck at home. They just couldn't perform at the right time and it sucks.

There seems to be some confusion... Ponor has only been nominated as a flag bearer (which she can be so even as an alternate) for the Olympic opening ceremony. The actual gymnastics federation of Romania hasn't released an official statement stating who they're going to pick as their sole WAG athlete yet. Both Ponor and Iordache still have two more friendly competitions to prove themselves, the federation has up to the two weeks right before the games to nominate the athlete.

ETA: Nevermind... just checked RGF's Facebook page, it's confirmed:
2nlbrxz.jpg

Lol - so I can't read that announcement cause it's not in English - does it say she's going to be the competitor?

I love her so I'm happy, but feel for Larissa too. Just wish they were able to send full team and it didn't come down to one over the other :(. Ponor truly has a good shot at floor and beam EF medals provided she hits though.

The big question is will she have a halfway decent bar routine? Or even do a bar routine?

Lol - so I can't read that announcement cause it's not in English - does it say she's going to be the competitor?

I love her so I'm happy, but feel for Larissa too. Just wish they were able to send full team and it didn't come down to one over the other :(. Ponor truly has a good shot at floor and beam EF medals provided she hits though.

The big question is will she have a halfway decent bar routine? Or even do a bar routine?
I'm assuming she'll do all four events. Hoping to qualify for AA and as many EFs as possible.

I'm assuming she'll do all four events. Hoping to qualify for AA and as many EFs as possible.

She hasn't done a bar routine in competition for ages though - like even in the 2008 Olympics when she won all the gold medals, she didn't even do AA cause no bars. It's going to be really exciting and interesting to see what she does. Maybe she showed some selection committee a bar routine and that's why they picked her (no idea how they do this stuff in Romania ;)) or are they just thinking her beam and floor are the most likely to get EF medals and aren't thinking about the AA.

She hasn't done a bar routine in competition for ages though - like even in the 2008 Olympics when she won all the gold medals, she didn't even do AA cause no bars. It's going to be really exciting and interesting to see what she does. Maybe she showed some selection committee a bar routine and that's why they picked her (no idea how they do this stuff in Romania ;)) or are they just thinking her beam and floor are the most likely to get EF medals and aren't thinking about the AA.
Cata was retired in 2008 I think you mean 2004 but I know what your saying. I'm not too surprised I've been suspecting this was going to happen simply since Lari has been injured so long. I wish they both could go but that's just not how the cards worked sadly. I'm happy for Cata but sad for Lari at the same time.

Maggie's DTY from podium training today! Hope she doesn't chuck an Amanar. USA Gym is adding more videos to their YouTube channel!

Gabby shows her personality and usual self in her podium training interview, so hopefully we see it in her gymnastics!!

Cute story. I watch an 19 month old during the days. She LOVES baby dolls and her parents name all her dolls after strong female athletes. Last week we named one of the dolls Ally (she couldn't say Simone or Gabby, so Ally it was!) Now she walks around saying Ally all the time and takes her everywhere like it's her bestfriend. She and the doll both do front rolls all over the living room. I showed her the real Ally on youtube and she screamed with excitement when she tumbled. It was adorable, and I think they may have a future gymnast on their hands.

Marta also told Madison K that she doesn't need to do vault this weekend, so that pretty much seals her ticket to Rio in my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which makes the team still aly Simone Gabby Laurie and Madison. Unless Gabby is a HUGE mess and Maggie is amazing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think Marta favors Madison over Ashton, but I'm personally the other way around. If they both hit bars I think it would come down to who has the better beam.

Latest posts

Back