All-Star Average Gyms

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Aug 20, 2012
I see all these posts about everyone either bashing big gyms, or advocating them. Am I the only one who's quite content with my average, unknown gym? Yes, I'm a serious cheerleader, and yes, I love the sport with a passion. But the name across my chest isn't the only thing I am out here for. I cheer, because it's what I love to do. I have fun, and I get serious when I need to get serious. I would do anything for my team, whether or not we are the best team in the world.

Nick:)

I see all these posts about everyone either bashing big gyms, or advocating them. Am I the only one who's quite content with my average, unknown gym? Yes, I'm a serious cheerleader, and yes, I love the sport with a passion. But the name across my chest isn't the only thing I am out here for. I cheer, because it's what I love to do. I have fun, and I get serious when I need to get serious. I would do anything for my team, whether or not we are the best team in the world.

To each their own. Some big some small, they all have supporters, haters and drama. If your happy with your choice good for you. Don't just assume others aren't.

Totally agree with you. I go to a small gym with only 4 teams. I don't really mind it at all

Totally agree with you. I go to a small gym with only 4 teams. I don't really mind it at all
Like i dont see the point. Our sport hadls been given a false view of superiority. We are not all created equal. Some of us are just mediocre. Like me. Im confident with my ability, yes. But im not crazy perfect. I have my flaws. Ahem, jumps;)

I don't think I would have ever wanted to go to an "average" gym, just because when I think of average I think it's settling. It sounds like average coaching, average work ethic, etc. There's a difference between small gyms and average gyms. Gyms can be average whether they're big or small- average has nothing to do with size (although you could make the argument that big gyms got big by being better than average). I would want to go to a good gym that's the right fit for me sizewise.

I think I understand what you are saying. Not everyone is a super athlete and that's ok. It's perfectly fine to be happy as a level 2,3, or 4 athlete on a team that doesn't go to the big comps as long as you are doing the best you can. Lets face it, some people are C students ( just an example here) no matter how hard they work. As long as they are doing their personal best, it's fine. Those people are happy to be where they are and that's great.

I think I understand what you are saying. Not everyone is a super athlete and that's ok. It's perfectly fine to be happy as a level 2,3, or 4 athlete on a team that doesn't go to the big comps as long as you are doing the best you can. Lets face it, some people are C students ( just an example here) no matter how hard they work. As long as they are doing their personal best, it's fine. Those people are happy to be where they are and that's great.

Totally agree - my only comment to the OP is if you really where ok with being at an "average" gym, why are you do bent out of shape over the amount of attention big name programs get on here?

For the record, big or small gym doesn't matter to me. At the end of the day everyone working hard to put the best performance on the floor is, win or lose.

We could easily be at Stingrays but it's not where my CP wants to be. There's a lot to be said for smaller sized programs. As I've said before, that's the beauty of this sport, there's a gym out there for everyone.

But big names means big attention.

Totally agree - my only comment to the OP is if you really where ok with being at an "average" gym, why are you do bent out of shape over the amount of attention big name programs get on here?

For the record, big or small gym doesn't matter to me. At the end of the day everyone working hard to put the best performance on the floor is, win or lose.

We could easily be at Stingrays but it's not where my CP wants to be. There's a lot to be said for smaller sized programs. As I've said before, that's the beauty of this sport, there's a gym out there for everyone.

But big names means big attention.

I completely agree. And I wouldnt really say I'm bent out if shape, so to speak. I just love my small, 5 team program. Could I be at a better gym? Absolutely. I mean Im a boy, crazy strong, and did gymnastics for 12 years. But i love my team even if theyre not the most perfect team out there.

I think it really depends on the person, big name gyms have big names for a reason but then again people like to see the underdog on top every once in a while, but small gyms are very rarely at the top. Yes an individual athlete may love their team but they are doing the sport for themselves and each and every individual wants to go in a different direction, I prefer a big gym because of the ability to improve faster with a bigger coaching staff and a more competitive environment. Most often small gyms dont field a level 5 worlds team and therefore those level 5 athletes move to bigger programs to prevent them from not improving. Yes big gyms can be the center of attention for drama but I think every gym small or large has their flaws.

We switched from a small gym to a big named gym for various reasons. My CP started cheering at 5, now she's 10 with a layout. We had problems with the overall commitment of the other kids at the small gym and we were tired of spending money for small comps with no competition just to say we won 1st. Now at Cali, there are a lot of kids with her same skill level and commitment. We attend big comps and we win most if the time against some of the best teams. I know this isn't the norm of all small gyms but it is what we've experienced.

We switched from a small gym to a big named gym for various reasons. My CP started cheering at 5, now she's 10 with a layout. We had problems with the overall commitment of the other kids at the small gym and we were tired of spending money for small comps with no competition just to say we won 1st. Now at Cali, there are a lot of kids with her same skill level and commitment. We attend big comps and we win most if the time against some of the best teams. I know this isn't the norm of all small gyms but it is what we've experienced.
Good! Every CP likes a different type of gym and environment. Im glad yours could find one that suits her.

Nick

I think the problem for some has been when the gym with a few teams and no level 5 is great when you're young, but if you start to get skills and want to compete on a higher level it is really tough to leave your smaller gym. I know girls who felt they were betraying their family when they left, but wanted a chance to compete at a higher level. Unfortunately, some gym owners don't look what's best for the kid and take it personally.

I think the problem for some has been when the gym with a few teams and no level 5 is great when you're young, but if you start to get skills and want to compete on a higher level it is really tough to leave your smaller gym. I know girls who felt they were betraying their family when they left, but wanted a chance to compete at a higher level. Unfortunately, some gym owners don't look what's best for the kid and take it personally.

I agree. I'm 15 now, and may have to leave my small gym either next year or the year after that. I don't have anything bad to say about them or anything, I just need a team with the same skill level as me. I mean,it's nice being the star of the show, but I'm more of a team player.

I agree. I'm 15 now, and may have to leave my small gym either next year or the year after that. I don't have anything bad to say about them or anything, I just need a team with the same skill level as me. I mean,it's nice being the star of the show, but I'm more of a team player.
You went from starting a thread about supporting small gyms, saying you were "quite content with your average, unknown gym" and calling yourself mediocre, to saying what you did above. I'm a little confused as to where you are going with this as you are contradicting yourself and your original post.

You went from starting a thread about supporting small gyms, saying you were "quite content with your average, unknown gym" and calling yourself mediocre, to saying what you did above. I'm a little confused as to where you are going with this as you are contradicting yourself and your original post.
He's a teenager. Are you really that surprised? :p

Back