All-Star Batb Fees

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 24, 2015
Sorry if this has already been covered. My daughters non worlds team is going to Battle at the Boardwalk in Atlantic City along with the gyms worlds team. I just found out that non worlds teams only compete one day while worlds teams compete two days. Thoroughly not pleased with this. Also, the registration fees for non-worlds teams competing 1 day is $104 while worlds teams are $114. I can understand them not being exactly half, but they should be a little closer to half than full price. Is this typical? Does this bother anyone else?

Unfortunately we have no control over fees. They can do whatever they want. Plus without the non Worlds teams a gym cannot bring their Worlds teams. Comp fees always make me angry!

From their point of view they need to cover their overhead for each day with only half the number of cheerleaders competing on either one...

don't the non-worlds teams just compete twice in one day, though? at least that's what they did in years past and what I had to do when I competed there. While not ideal, you'd still be paying for judges to judge the routine twice so it's not that crazy.

Sorry if this has already been covered. My daughters non worlds team is going to Battle at the Boardwalk in Atlantic City along with the gyms worlds team. I just found out that non worlds teams only compete one day while worlds teams compete two days. Thoroughly not pleased with this. Also, the registration fees for non-worlds teams competing 1 day is $104 while worlds teams are $114. I can understand them not being exactly half, but they should be a little closer to half than full price. Is this typical? Does this bother anyone else?

It doesn't bother me, but I'm not in your situation so I have no real frame of reference. I try not to focus on registration fees if I don't have to. We had to pay $135 for CP to go to her half-season competition but you left the comp with a DVD so it was like a 'trade off' but since I don't buy DVD's I would have rather paid $100. However, not my program, not my event, not my rules...I just pay what they tell me to.

don't the non-worlds teams just compete twice in one day, though? at least that's what they did in years past and what I had to do when I competed there. While not ideal, you'd still be paying for judges to judge the routine twice so it's not that crazy.

It's our first time going, but I haven't heard that from any of the coaches. If you get confirmation one way or another, please post! It would mean that I might want a hotel

Normally at BATB you compete once in a prelim style round and pick which elements to showcase then you compete a few minutes later. I'm not sure if that format still stands though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Non world teams compete one time on either Sat or Sunday. I think Level 1/2 are Sat and 3/4/5 sun.?

I work for an EP (but not the one in question). A few notes from "our side":

1) Worlds teams are required to perform twice for a bid to Worlds (this applies only to cheer and is USASF sanctioned). We have a similar style bid event- it's spread out over two days to accomodate all the teams, but non-Worlds divisions only compete one time over the two days. The overwhelming response we received from customers when we first started offering bids at this event was that they'd rather have their bid teams compete once each day, than twice in one day. Yes, it can mean a hotel stay for the families with kids on those teams, but it saves the kids from performing a taxing routine twice in one day, especially when the stakes are high.

2) RE: the difference in price. I think you're viewing it very differently from how the EP set up the fees. $104 is just the base price for the event and covers the big expenses for the EP... judges, staffing, venue rental, insurance, housing, catering, security, transportation, production, etc, etc, etc. You are not paying "per routine". The $10 difference for the Worlds teams is a small add on for that second performance they are doing (the added time in the day for staff, judges, venue rental)... And a pretty reasonable one, because the EP I work for charges significantly more for the second routine. Keep in mind that even 2 paid bids can end up costing an EP up to $50,000.

That still does not explain it. Non worlds teams are only using the judges, venue, staffing, housing etc one day, while Worlds teams are using them two days. There is most definitely a greater price difference in one day events as compared to two day events at all the competitions my kids have participated in. For example, at BOE , all star teams who compete two days pay $150, while prep teams who compete only one day pay $80. Why should the lower levels who are not eligible for bids be footing the cost for it?

I work for an EP (but not the one in question). A few notes from "our side":

2) RE: the difference in price. I think you're viewing it very differently from how the EP set up the fees. $104 is just the base price for the event and covers the big expenses for the EP... judges, staffing, venue rental, insurance, housing, catering, security, transportation, production, etc, etc, etc. You are not paying "per routine". The $10 difference for the Worlds teams is a small add on for that second performance they are doing (the added time in the day for staff, judges, venue rental)... And a pretty reasonable one, because the EP I work for charges significantly more for the second routine. Keep in mind that even 2 paid bids can end up costing an EP up to $50,000.

That still does not explain it. Non worlds teams are only using the judges, venue, staffing, housing etc one day, while Worlds teams are using them two days. There is most definitely a greater price difference in one day events as compared to two day events at all the competitions my kids have participated in. For example, at BOE , all star teams who compete two days pay $150, while prep teams who compete only one day pay $80. Why should the lower levels who are not eligible for bids be footing the cost for it?

Because that's capitalism at it's finest? Honestly I don't think you're gonna get an answer that you find acceptable, but being truthful, you may be surprised at how much World teams don't pay for especially when it comes to the bigger names. Things like free uniforms, no comp fees, free shoes, scholarships for tuition, free practice wear.spirit wear...etc, etc. It's widely known that LVL 5 teams often cost the gym more than they're worth while the lower level teams (especially the younger teams) bring in the most dough to keep the business floating.

World's teams attract the younger teams!
This may be true at some places, but most of the people I know started because they did school or pop warner and found out about all star that way, or they came in for tumbling lessons, or they had a friend who did all star. Worlds teams, from what I have seen, attract more Worlds athletes, while school, rec, and dance bring in the younger lower level athletes.

This may be true at some places, but most of the people I know started because they did school or pop warner and found out about all star that way, or they came in for tumbling lessons, or they had a friend who did all star. Worlds teams, from what I have seen, attract more Worlds athletes, while school, rec, and dance bring in the younger lower level athletes.

I know many people who drive over an hour one way for younger athletes/lower levels to be at a specific gym because their goal is to one day make a World's team. Success attracts success.

I know many people who drive over an hour one way for younger athletes/lower levels to be at a specific gym because their goal is to one day make a World's team. Success attracts success.

Not only is this very accurate especially around some of the bigger named gyms @HScheermom but another thing to consider is big name gyms can bring in gyms from around the area that may not attending XYZ competition but are adding it because they want to compete against big name gym or be there to watch them. Thus, big name gyms attends the comp for free and brought in gym 1, 2 and 3 that may not have gone before and now the gym just paid for big name gym and then some.

It's all a business and success attracts success.

Back