All-Star Being On A Team?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I guess I don't understand. Do some coaches actually tell kids they are alternates and not require any further contact with the team? Or is this just a way of calling someone a liar, liar, pants on fire without actually calling them out?
Working in a school close to CA, I've had a few kids try to get by saying they are on such-and-such team. I simply showed them a picture of my cp in that team's uniform and explained to them liars always get caught. What's to gain by saying you're on a team you're not on?

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I guess I don't understand. Do some coaches actually tell kids they are alternates and not require any further contact with the team? Or is this just a way of calling someone a liar, liar, pants on fire without actually calling them out?
Working in a school close to CA, I've had a few kids try to get by saying they are on such-and-such team. I simply showed them a picture of my cp in that team's uniform and explained to them liars always get caught. What's to gain by saying you're on a team you're not on?

I can only speak for programs I work with. Anyone who is an alternate for any of our teams (all stars) knows that they need to attend practice because they will actually be practicing. Same for my HS kids as they are doing other things, just not competing with us.

So for us, there is no "I can say I'm on ____ but can't be called out" because you're going to:

1. Be on the roster.
2. Have a uniform.
3. Practice.
4. Be part of team photos.

What you MAY be referring to is a "fill in" which I have seen before.

Ex: Suzie regularly competes with Cheetahs, but fills in ONCE for say, Woodlands Elite Black Ops. She is not ON Black Ops. She competed once and regularly competes with someone else.

@Dixie I have known kids who are selected at last minute to be an alternate for worlds, never competed, and may have only practiced once go around telling people they are on Y worlds team. There only purpose is to be there in case someone gets injured. Not the scenario that made me think of this but just an example.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android Coming soon, Cheer Dad's gofundme retirement account. Stay tuned

@Dixie I have known kids who are selected at last minute to be an alternate for worlds, never competed, and may have only practiced once go around telling people they are on Y worlds team. There only purpose is to be there in case someone gets injured. Not the scenario that made me think of this but just an example.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android Coming soon, Cheer Dad's gofundme retirement account. Stay tuned
Thanks for clarifying. I misunderstood the topic. I guess technically they are on the team. I think of it like a pitcher pulled up to fill a roster spot for an injured reliever. He might sit in the bullpen the entire game and never throw a major league pitch, but if the need arises he would get called upon before another pitcher watching from home.

So now you have me thinking...
What amount of time constitutes being on a team? During placement calls this year, girls were immediately tweeting "I'm a BAB!". My daughter said,"They don't get it. You have to earn being a BAB, not just call themselves that." Did they earn it at tryouts? After the first practice? First competition? Coming from behind at NCA? When they say "BABS for life" does it include the girl who was only an alternate for Worlds Day 1? Was she a BAB for a day? Intriguing.
I have insomnia and this topic is an enigma within a riddle.

I guess this entire thread isn't about how everyone else views it, but how the athlete views it.
Scenario: Athlete practices with the team once, is an alternate for Worlds.
"We" see - Athlete bragging on social media that he/she is on X team!!
Backstory- Athlete is a senior. Tried for years to make the team, or always wanted to, but never quite got it, or couldn't afford it or couldn't get transportation or whatever. Athlete has one last chance to be a part of the team he/she has dreamed about season after season.
Personally, I care more about the athlete having a chance to live some small part of a dream than whether or not they "earned" it.

Well in my opinion BAB4l and what it stands for is an attitude, it's how you act, it's how you compete and it's who you are. And the Panthers try to exemplify their nickname so I guess it's not about the time you spent on the team but what you did on it. Like if they had to have an alternate replace one of their three injured girls going into worlds and the girl did everything in the routine and pulled it out last minute even though she was on it for one competition she would be a BAB.

Other teams may be different though because not all teams have a nickname like Panthers do.

A relative of mine was placed on a coed worlds team this past season, and I think maybe competed with them once? She was obviously a girl, and not a flyer...they maxed out on boys, and since apparently coed stunting with a girl as the base doesn't max out, she basically got "moved down", to another team, which still competed at worlds. These teams each had their own specific uniforms and so her parents bought the 2 uniforms for the original team, and then the team-specific uniform for the second team. I felt so bad because she still put the old team name in her bio on instagram and twitter and such, but a few members of the team itself told me they just didn't really need her, and she really wasn't on the team anymore. She was so excited to be on that first team and then got it taken away from her :( So in this instance, since she was never really apart of the team, and competed all season as well as at worlds with another team, I really wouldn't consider her getting a ring/jacket if they won, because she was basically like a fill in, ya know? I dont know, but this whole situation broke my heart for her :(

A relative of mine was placed on a coed worlds team this past season, and I think maybe competed with them once? She was obviously a girl, and not a flyer...they maxed out on boys, and since apparently coed stunting with a girl as the base doesn't max out, she basically got "moved down", to another team, which still competed at worlds. These teams each had their own specific uniforms and so her parents bought the 2 uniforms for the original team, and then the team-specific uniform for the second team. I felt so bad because she still put the old team name in her bio on instagram and twitter and such, but a few members of the team itself told me they just didn't really need her, and she really wasn't on the team anymore. She was so excited to be on that first team and then got it taken away from her :( So in this instance, since she was never really apart of the team, and competed all season as well as at worlds with another team, I really wouldn't consider her getting a ring/jacket if they won, because she was basically like a fill in, ya know? I dont know, but this whole situation broke my heart for her :(

false. the number of boys on the team determines the number of one-man/coed style stunts need to be thrown, but it does not matter the gender of the actual teammate doing the skill.

if she was capable of throwing the same stunts as the boys, it should not have mattered at all. sucks, but at least they were able to put her on another worlds team and not move her down to level 4 or something?

I think if you never compete with a team it's hard to say you were on it, unless you preface with "I never competed with them but..." and state why you never competed.

I was briefly on a Twisters team, but due to certain circumstances I never competed. I don't claim that I'm a former athlete for them, but I do acknowledge that I had training under them.

When it comes to getting jackets and rings, I would think any athlete that was injured mid season should get a ring/jacket IF they still came in and didn't disappear off the face of the earth. Alternates like in the Smoed case where the girl was always an alternate and competed a few times but never had to permanently replace anyone, does not make them a team member. If you are for whatever reason not able to compete but are placed on the team and come to practice and go to everything and dress out, you're on the team.

Last edited:
Only partially relevant but I saw of 2 (?) cheerleaders that were on Lady Jags but alternates for TGLC for Worlds so they received 2 rings.

Just wondering how that could work? Surely if they were competing with LJ there is no way they could be on TGLC even in case of injury etc at Worlds?

It was just one. She competed with LJ. She was originally on large coed and is a veteran of that team, but decided not to cheer to focus on college. LJ had an injury (torn ACL) and no alternates, so we borrowed her (she was an alternate for coed and came to some practices). She competed with us every competition except battle, but knew the large coed routine as well and stepped in at their practices when people were missing. She was considered a part of both teams.

More of a general statement about our alternates, 2 had competed and were out due to injury, while 2 had been practicing with us for about a month. 1 of those 2 had gone full out with us and the other just learned a spot in the routine.

What if you leave a team very early in the season due to injury...never come back to any other team event, then show up at the last practice before worlds/NCA, travel with a friend to end of season prestigious competition, take the mat with them at awards and end up with a jacket/ring?
I call that poor sportsmanship! Boo hoo. Unless by taking the mat you mean performing, but I didn't get that impression!

I call that poor sportsmanship! Boo hoo. Unless by taking the mat you mean performing, but I didn't get that impression!
I'm pretty sure that's what they meant. Not physically taking the mat from awards away with them :D But that would be pretty funny.

Here's my question: who gets the "stuff" (medals jackets etc)

Let's just say that Susie's team is about to go to some big event. A week before they leave, Susie gets hurt in some way that renders her unable to compete. For financial and time reasons, Susie's parents decide to stay home, why pay and travel for an expensive trip that your child is unable to compete in? So a fill in is pulled in and learns the routine travels to the competition with the team and they win!

Who gets the stuff? Susie who has been on the team all season and earned the bid to attend the comp? Or the girl who competed the day of?

Back