OT Books

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
A book that was recommended last summer on the book thread that I read was "cinderella society" - even though I'm older than the target audience I really enjoyed reading it.

Other than that I also recommend all books by Sophie Kinsella - those are usually the ones I read during the semester next to all that uni stuff because it gives my brain a break.

I also really liked the Inkheart Trilogy by Cornelia Funke. Those books might be something for all those Harry Potter fans (even though I didn't like HP too much).

And my favorite author is "Rafik Schami" - a lot of his stories take place in Damaskus and even though I've never been there he has a way of writing that makes me feel like i've lived there for a couple of years. He is awesome at telling stories and you never know which parts are real and which are only an invention of his mind.

I like the Sophie Kinsella ones - they're really good, lighthearted beach reads. I prefer them to the books written under her real name (Kinsella is her Pseudoname) Madeleine Wickham.

I recently finished the latest Southern Vampires book, the ones that True Blood was based on.

And now I'm re-reading Pride and Prejudice because I can't find anything I feel like buying on my Nook at the moment.

I've seen that I just don't see the connection between the two series.
Christian = Edward (very controlling boyfriend who feels he's a monster and has issues with himself, doesn't feel he's good enough to be loved, immeasurably rich and handsome with a large, close knit family)
Anastasia = Bella (the "I'm suddenly pretty but I didn't know it" Mary Jane character, all the boys are falling after her but she's miraculously never dated before, tends to do stupid, stubborn things at times, falls head over heels for Christian/Edward regardless of his faults and how he treats her)
Jose = Jacob ( BFF that is in love with the main character even though she sees him as just a friend, happens to also be talented and good looking)
Kate = Rosalie (gets what she wants, gets together with Elliot, who is the Emmett character)
Mia = Alice (energetic, charismatic, adored by the family but also annoys them at times, gets together with Kate's brother who is the Jasper character)
Dr. Trevelyan Grey = Esme
Carrick Grey = Carlisle

The subject (vampires) and the setting (Forks,WA) are different, but you've got the general base of twilight, as the characters and general idea are almost identical to fifty. Now maybe they had a "charlie tango" moment instead of a "meadow" moment or whatever, but its still the same end result.

The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walles is my favorite book. So amazing.
Some of my other favorites:
Anything by Jodi Picoult, but especially Plain Truth, 19 Minutes, and Sing You Home
The Time Travelers Wife
High Fidelity
Jesus Land
I've been really into memoirs lately!

I literally was just going to come here to start this thread! we need a FB Book Club!

Normally, by now, I have a stack of books to read sitting on my nightstand, as I don't read for leisure much during the school year since I'm busy reading school books.

I just finished the only book I had sitting there.. so now what?

I'm not much of a series person, no matter how amazing it is. I tend to lose interest after book one. I also don't like vampires/witchcraft/things that aren't "real," so to speak.

My favorite author is Kristin Hannah, followed by Patti Callahan Henry and Nicholas Sparks. An obvious theme of the latter 2 is beachy/NC life. and all of KH's books take place in Washington State.

So, if anyone enjoys a book that results in a good cry, I highly recommend Kristin Hannah. I think I sob with every book, they're just so good! Firefly Lane is absolutely amazing.. hits close to home though so I sobbed through the entire thing. I also just finished her newest book, Home Again.. and I think I set a new record by crying before page 100. I wasn't sure I'd love it, since it's about military but it's absolutely amazing. like phenomenal.

I literally was just going to come here to start this thread! we need a FB Book Club!

Normally, by now, I have a stack of books to read sitting on my nightstand, as I don't read for leisure much during the school year since I'm busy reading school books.

I just finished the only book I had sitting there.. so now what?

I'm not much of a series person, no matter how amazing it is. I tend to lose interest after book one. I also don't like vampires/witchcraft/things that aren't "real," so to speak.

My favorite author is Kristin Hannah, followed by Patti Callahan Henry and Nicholas Sparks. An obvious theme of the latter 2 is beachy/NC life. and all of KH's books take place in Washington State.

So, if anyone enjoys a book that results in a good cry, I highly recommend Kristin Hannah. I think I sob with every book, they're just so good! Firefly Lane is absolutely amazing.. hits close to home though so I sobbed through the entire thing. I also just finished her newest book, Home Again.. and I think I set a new record by crying before page 100. I wasn't sure I'd love it, since it's about military but it's absolutely amazing. like phenomenal.

Have you read any of Emily Giffin's books? Something borrowed, something blue, etc? I like hers. I don't really like supernatural either, but I do watch True Blood which is why I started reading the books they're based on.

I'll have to think what else I've read that I can recommend.

Have you read any of Emily Giffin's books? Something borrowed, something blue, etc? I like hers. I don't really like supernatural either, but I do watch True Blood which is why I started reading the books they're based on.

I'll have to think what else I've read that I can recommend.

Yes! Read all of Emily Giffin, Sophie Kinsella and Jodi Piccoult's as well.

I need a new author to hold me over until one of my favorite's releases a new book :p

Christian = Edward (very controlling boyfriend who feels he's a monster and has issues with himself, doesn't feel he's good enough to be loved, immeasurably rich and handsome with a large, close knit family)
Anastasia = Bella (the "I'm suddenly pretty but I didn't know it" Mary Jane character, all the boys are falling after her but she's miraculously never dated before, tends to do stupid, stubborn things at times, falls head over heels for Christian/Edward regardless of his faults and how he treats her)
Jose = Jacob ( BFF that is in love with the main character even though she sees him as just a friend, happens to also be talented and good looking)
Kate = Rosalie (gets what she wants, gets together with Elliot, who is the Emmett character)
Mia = Alice (energetic, charismatic, adored by the family but also annoys them at times, gets together with Kate's brother who is the Jasper character)
Dr. Trevelyan Grey = Esme
Carrick Grey = Carlisle

The subject (vampires) and the setting (Forks,WA) are different, but you've got the general base of twilight, as the characters and general idea are almost identical to fifty. Now maybe they had a "charlie tango" moment instead of a "meadow" moment or whatever, but its still the same end result.

You forgot the underlying tone of "Daddy beats me because he loves me".....aka the control issues.

I need a new author to hold me over until one of my favorite's releases a new book :p

Emily Giffin has a new book out toward the end of July - Where We Belong

Sophie Kinsella also has a new one out (came out early 2012 so you prob have already read it)- I've Got Your Number

I love how every thread that talks about books on here, The Hunger Games and HP always gets brought up... but not complaining :p I recently started The Mortal Instrument serious. Can't put it down. So good, cant wait to finish it!! I also like how I've read most of these books, I feel so in the loop, for once. Most of them are really good! Little Brother by Cory Doctorow is also really, really, really good.

You could try Elin Hilderbrand. All of her books are great beach reads, but targeted at a bit older audience (most story lines involve marriage/kids).

I'm reading Blink by Malcolm Gladwell right now and it's one of the most interesting books I've ever read. It's really different from the other books on this thread because it's kinda like an analysis of the human mind and decision-making but I think everyone should read it :)

-The Pretty Little Liars series (10x better than the show, i promise you)
-The Privilege or Private Series by Kate Brian (SOOOO GOOD)
-The Nature of Jade
-Does my Head Look Big in This?
-The Luxe Series
-The Help
-To Kill a Mockingbird
-Night by Elie Weisel (But caution, this is extremely sad and a bit disturbing. It's about the Holocaust.)
-L.A Candy by Lauren Conrad

Back