OT PLEASE READ!! Flying Help!!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Feb 15, 2024
Hey! PLEASE READ!!! So, picture this: I've been a base for over a year now (nailing EVERYTHING in middle school: full-ups, extended BPs, full downs, one mans…). But flying? That was unexplored, to me it looked super scary and hard and I told myself I would never try it. Fast forward to high school tryouts. guess what? They were short on flyers. So my senior friend Averee, volunteered me to sub in until there were more. Here's the thing: my only flying experience involved a prep, and an almost concussion. But hey, we are built for challenges, aren't we? The day before tryouts, we practiced like crazy, and by tryout day, even with just 10 minutes to warm up our jump in prep to extension to cradle, we nailed it! Talk about a skill boost! The next day, we did a quick up to prep, press extension, to pop off and it was flawless, cleaner than ever. On day three we did a similar stunt with a quick up straight entry.
The next day results were posted and, guess what… I made Junior Varsity!!!

But, that's why I am posting here. I need your advice- how can I take my flying skills from beginner to skilled ? Specifically, I'm looking for tips on:
Sharpening extensions: I want mine to be so sharp, because my feet barely touch and it looks more like a Show-and-Go. Any exercises or stretches would help.
Tightening my dismounts: i always look sloppy and i tilt sideways when i doing pop offs and full downs (just got a full down yesterday)

Beyond these, any general beginner flyer advice would be great! Remember, I'm a base-turned-flyer and I am determined to pursue my goals- as a cheerleader.

Please share your knowledge, stories, and best flyer tips– anything to help me take flight and become a valuable asset to the team. Can't wait to hear from you all!

Stretching, ab exercises to strengthen your core, yoga, pilates, and handstands are helpful. If you can afford it flyer classes or privates.

I think a major part of the problem that made me keep messing up was my shoes because they were $20 on Amazon and they are by the brand "CADIDL" and are around 2 lbs. they are very thick too with very minimal mesh for breathing. I kept complaining about them to my mother but she said they were fine (even though they were massive on me). I finally convinced her a few days ago to get me new, more known ones with good reviews and she bought me Nfinity Flyte's. they are EXTREMLEY light compared to my CADIDL's (google says they are .24 lbs.). I haven't stunted with them yet, but they feel like they are fitted to my foot shape and i think they will help alot. my mother said if i find better shoes for flying that she will get those and return my flytes but i think thye are good.

Do you know if there are any better flying shoes that are great for beginner flyers?

Flytes will be fine. Work on your hollow body shape as this is so important at helping you maintain a strong core in the air. Squeeze everything! I used to always think about tightening and pulling all my body weight up through my shoulders when I was flying and this helps squeeze all my muscles. You can work on being tight while on the ground too, like lie on the ground in your hollow body position and have your bases lift your feet. If you are tight your whole body should come off the ground staying in that hollow shape. They can try and turn you and you should still stay hollow. You should be in that tight hollow body position in all your dismounts too, meaning if you are tipping slightly to the side it's probably due to one base pushing harder than the other, rather than something you are doing. And the key thing about dismounts like cradles and fulls etc is to make sure you let your bases pop you. Stay tight all the way through the down dip and don't bend your knees. You need to do your job so the bases can do theirs.

I always think it's fun to see athletes try different positions - it makes you versatile and very valuable as an athlete! What I tell my kids is that, as a base, you know exactly the kind of things that your flyers did that made your job either easier or harder. So of course, the goal then would to try to be the kind of flyer you liked to base. Maybe speaking to your previous flyers about what they do/what they think about might be extremely helpful.

I would second what kayemm said, though. Hollow holds are the central body position for learning to fly. A strong core will go a long way in helping you! Good luck!

okay thank youuuu all sooooo much!!! My family can afford all-star or privates, but ive started going to open gyms at all-star gyms and it has helped a lot!

Back