All-Star Cea Chicago

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I think there are more than this. 17 schools from the south suburbs qualified for State including multiple schools from same town.

This is apparently just large varsity schools. There are a few schools downstate that are not on this list as well. All of them are small medium, or coed

This was taken around showcase, if it helps puts the numbers into perspective.
12339671_950190918401805_111743815087527689_o.jpg
If these are pictures of the full teams then wouldn't at least a third of these be crossover kids. So kids would be in this picture multiple times..?

ETA: Oops someone already said this

I have an IL school cheer question (derailment.)

What are the typical tryout requirements for JV?

I ask because I look at the JV team videos and their skills equal Varsity teams.

We have always separated JV and Varsity by skills and not grade. (As in, most girls with no tumbling or BHS only and limited stunting regardless of grade are trying out JV only.)

Do you delineate JV and Varsity by grade only? (As in, 9/10th graders are always on JV even if they have Varsity skills.)

All of the JV that we work with "require" BHS or more to make the team. That is softer with a couple of the schools than others - otherwise they would not have a JV squad at all. We also have most of the middle schools that feed these schools as well. So whether All stars or schools they are still walking thru our doors.

5 JV squads - squad one - brand new no BHS at all. squad two - squad BHS. 3/4 squad tuck 4 fulls. squad three - 1/2 squad BHS. squad 4 - squad BHS, 1/2 squad tuck, 6 fulls. squad five - squad BHS, 3/4 squad tuck 2 fulls.

We have quite a few freshmen that made Varsity. All with running fulls, standing tuck, jump to tuck. All but two were flyers.

ETA** this does not include schools that just drop in occasionally or do choreography or work camps with us.

....Well 45 pages later and my brain has exploded. This is what I get for taking a backseat on the 'board to focus on my stuff.

@Eyes On The Prize and @CheerBank I waited 45 pages to quote In the Heights: 'My mom is Dominican/Cuban my dad is from Chile and PR which means, I'm ChileDominCuRican...but I always say I'm from Queens!' #lonelyplanetNUMBAH1

This just seems..messy. On one hand I appreciate wanting to stick out commitments and teach integrity and all that jazz. I also want to caution the lesson that you stick it out when people are hurting/disrespecting you (and it's not always physically), because the mentality of 'If I just hang in there, it'll change get better' is a rough pill to swallow when you realize you're tolerating someone's disrespect repeatedly. Because you're a 'good person'. Not fun to have to patch up those holes later.

At the job I currently have, I have been handed business cards/email adds/numbers to call about switching restaurants. Constantly. People are trying to recruit me for their business. It doesn't make me a bad person to look/consider other options and plan ahead (which some people consider smart!). Is there a risk? Sure. But part of being a smart adult is learning how to A- Minimize risk and B- Deal with it when it comes calling. She did both and it actually worked out better than planned: she still has teams to coach and they still get to finish out their season with someone they love. ICE no longer has a coach looking to jump ship at the end. Problem solved.

I sincerely doubt she's been secretly prepping her teams to move for ages- teenage girls can't keep secrets for more than 2 minutes. How could they have kept this secret that long? Sometimes when you're unhappy, it takes one person making a stand to realize you don't have to settle. Also- to have her go to CEA and spend time there working with them? That's in NC, she's in Illinois. Not sure what her savings are like (not my chair, not my problem), but packing up and leaving a city to spend months 'learning' with them might not be fiscally feasible right now. Moving is hella expensive.

It would have been 'polite' for her to wait nicely til the end of the season for her to open up the new gym despite being fired, but politeness don't pay the bills. Politeness is for tea time on a Southern villa. Call me cold, but this time last week I was 36" deep in snow with a landlord who doesn't know the business end of a shovel. You gotta do what you gotta do.

ETA: @samantha says - HEY GIRL.

....Well 45 pages later and my brain has exploded. This is what I get for taking a backseat on the 'board to focus on my stuff.

@Eyes On The Prize and @CheerBank I waited 45 pages to quote In the Heights: 'My mom is Dominican/Cuban my dad is from Chile and PR which means, I'm ChileDominCuRican...but I always say I'm from Queens!' #lonelyplanetNUMBAH1

Wepa! I'm in need of a Carnaval del Barrio after this entire thread :p

I have an IL school cheer question (derailment.)

What are the typical tryout requirements for JV?

I ask because I look at the JV team videos and their skills equal Varsity teams.

We have always separated JV and Varsity by skills and not grade. (As in, most girls with no tumbling or BHS only and limited stunting regardless of grade are trying out JV only.)

Do you delineate JV and Varsity by grade only? (As in, 9/10th graders are always on JV even if they have Varsity skills.)
When I was in high school, my school only required that you were working a BHS for JV. Now, you have to have it and more. Varsity is pretty much tucks and layouts minimum, and then standing to tuck/layout.

This just seems..messy. On one hand I appreciate wanting to stick out commitments and teach integrity and all that jazz. I also want to caution the lesson that you stick it out when people are hurting/disrespecting you (and it's not always physically), because the mentality of 'If I just hang in there, it'll change get better' is a rough pill to swallow when you realize you're tolerating someone's disrespect repeatedly. Because you're a 'good person'. Not fun to have to patch up those holes later.

At the job I currently have, I have been handed business cards/email adds/numbers to call about switching restaurants. Constantly. People are trying to recruit me for their business. It doesn't make me a bad person to look/consider other options and plan ahead (which some people consider smart!). Is there a risk? Sure. But part of being a smart adult is learning how to A- Minimize risk and B- Deal with it when it comes calling. She did both and it actually worked out better than planned: she still has teams to coach and they still get to finish out their season with someone they love. ICE no longer has a coach looking to jump ship at the end. Problem solved.

I sincerely doubt she's been secretly prepping her teams to move for ages- teenage girls can't keep secrets for more than 2 minutes. How could they have kept this secret that long? Sometimes when you're unhappy, it takes one person making a stand to realize you don't have to settle. Also- to have her go to CEA and spend time there working with them? That's in NC, she's in Illinois. Not sure what her savings are like (not my chair, not my problem), but packing up and leaving a city to spend months 'learning' with them might not be fiscally feasible right now. Moving is hella expensive.

It would have been 'polite' for her to wait nicely til the end of the season for her to open up the new gym despite being fired, but politeness don't pay the bills. Politeness is for tea time on a Southern villa. Call me cold, but this time last week I was 36" deep in snow with a landlord who doesn't know the business end of a shovel. You gotta do what you gotta do.

ETA: @samantha says - HEY GIRL.

Amen Sistah! I dont know how to day that in
ChileDominCuRican

This was taken around showcase, if it helps puts the numbers into perspective.
12339671_950190918401805_111743815087527689_o.jpg
Thanks, I have seen that image previously. I was interested in the number figure as I am a Programme Director with a similar number of locations :)

Back