All-Star Cheating With Over Age Kids On Teams!!!!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 15, 2009
I have a local gym near me. Most their teams are not in my divisions. Last year they were under suspicion for having 10 and 11 yr olds on a mini team. Kids from my gym that went to school with the "over age kids" knew they were too old. But you can't prove age on a young kid. However this year....they have a youth age team with a 13 yr old on it. I know this because that kid also takes at my gym and I have their registration information. Should I throw them under the bus or let Karma do its job? I can not stand a cheater and want to blow the whistle but I don't want to ruin the last month of a season for the other kids on that team---(even if they aren't my kids) thoughts?

I agree with them, if you know what they are doing is wrong and do not say anything, you are just as bad for letting them do this. It's not fair to the cheerleaders that are age appropriate in that level to compete and possibly lose to a team who has a girl who is 3 yrs over that divison. You are just looking out for yourself and other cheer gyms that have to compete against them!

Please do. It is not YOUR fault their owner knowingly placed them in the wrong division, and it isn't YOU ruining the rest of their season. They cheated all season and it is catching up with them- that is karma doing it's job.. You would think after the "scandals" this season has had that people would think twice.

Don't think of it as ruining their season - they can still compete, just in the proper age division, right? However... I wouldn't be surprised if the kid you turn in no longer takes classes at your gym after this.

So, here's a question.....what happens if you do turn them in? This isn't like the NCAA is it? There arent sanctions and forfiets etc., right?I I agree they should be turned in, I'm about tired of seeing mini teams with kids that look like they can drive. Theres a gym down in your area that has a girl on a mini team that is so big her flyer could walk UNDER her. Maybe she's just really big for her age and the flyer is like....4....but it certainly catches your attention. And that may be totally legit, we have a girl on one of our teams who looks like a mini (she's really really small) who actually ages out of youth this year, so everyone will think we're flying a 6 year old on a junior team....she'll be 12 this summer...and we're not. She just looks that little. So maybe that big mini girl is legit on the team I'm thinking of, but if you have proof, I say let someone know.

But the question is still legit....who do you turn them into, and what actually happens to these folks?

This is so odd to me. Who are these parents allowing their 13 year old on a youth team? I'd be livid if someone put my almost 10 year old on a mini team - I'm trying to move her UP, not down. Aside from it being against the rules, I just can't see a parent agreeing to hold their child back???

But to answer your question, yes try to turn them in. You'll have to also have proof that this girl is who you say she is, as I doubt they're registering her under her name. The gyms I've seen do this (usually with older athletes on senior teams) have used someone else's information/birth certificate to register for competitions since no id is required.

It happens in all youth sports. The problem is it will continue to happen if somebody does not blow the whistle on them. So my advise to you is to back up the bus and throw them under......

It certainly does happen in all sports! But the key is to report it if you have concrete facts!

This is so odd to me. Who are these parents allowing their 13 year old on a youth team? I'd be livid if someone put my almost 10 year old on a mini team - I'm trying to move her UP, not down. Aside from it being against the rules, I just can't see a parent agreeing to hold their child back???

But to answer your question, yes try to turn them in. You'll have to also have proof that this girl is who you say she is, as I doubt they're registering her under her name. The gyms I've seen do this (usually with older athletes on senior teams) have used someone else's information/birth certificate to register for competitions since no id is required.

Beleive it or not, most parents don't know the age limits for these teams. In addition, they may have been offered a discount on thier tuition or had other added perks given. REPORT IT!

I agree with everyone who believes that she should turn it in, but I don't think it makes that much sense in getting super upset about it. It's the same with the teams who have a crossover or 2 from a higher level... One or two "out of place" kids on a team does NOT make or a break the entire placing. If someone blames a lost on just one kid being out of age range, I'd question them failing to see the overall picture/scoresheet/skill level comparison.

Again it's totally wrong, but the emphasis should be on EP's being stricter and gym owners/coaches being more honest. Not "omg we lost because that team had a 30 year old!". There are plenty of athletes younger than me that can throw skills I can't even imagine doing.

Back